• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

3 minutes ago, nesussxwx said:

You only see it that way because you are wish casting I can tell based on your posts in the NE forum. It is a real possibility depending on how much the mid-levels amplify, could be a last minute trend.

The model cmc/ rgem are moving the low too far north and not moving it ene as expected,

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Hmmm....all these storms come to nowcast it seems; kind of makes following a forecast somewhat redundant....but we do it anyway. Gluttons for punishment.

I always say that the forecast should be determined no later than within 24 hours of the onset of precipitation.  Otherwise, it really isn't a forecast.  As Jeff Beradelli has taught me, the devil is in the details.  In other words, the pieces of the puzzle are there in the forecasting tools, it's up to the forecaster to know which ones to use and which ones to discard.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

I always say that the forecast should be determined no later than within 24 hours of the onset of precipitation.  Otherwise, it really isn't a forecast.  As Jeff Beradelli has taught me, the devil is in the details.  In other words, the pieces of the puzzle are there in the forecasting tools, it's up to the forecaster to know which ones to use and which ones to discard.

This is true in most things. Your doctor doesn't prescribe the same BP medicine to every patient.

That banding close to the surface low after the front end comes through (and the upper air temps associated with it) are going to determine what kind of storm this is for the area, because i don't think the decaying CCB on the back side is going to give us more than an inch or two.

If it's strong like on the GFS we're on track for over a foot, if not I'm thinking 8 inches is the target.

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

GFS buries us. 16-18"

Has a crazy enhanced precip area at around 9z come through that I guess would be snow as the low starts departing. The NAM had something similar but less intense. That would be the CCB I'm guessing. Lot of haves/have nots from banding inland it seems, lots of enhanced and shaft zones. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Has a crazy enhanced precip area at around 9z come through that I guess would be snow as the low starts departing. The NAM had something similar but less intense. That would be the CCB I'm guessing. Lot of haves/have nots from banding inland it seems, lots of enhanced and shaft zones. 

You see our winter storm watch? 3-10"...wtf is that

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The GFS is basically operating like a model in 1985 or 1990.  Its not seeing the mid-level warmth that would happen despite the mid level low tracks.  Normally the GFS nowadays compensates by showing rain but its likely being confused by the strong surface high to the north.

Not sure I completely agree. The position of the 700mb low on the 12z vs 18z run valid 12z Thursday is nearly identical, and one mb deeper.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The GFS is basically operating like a model in 1985 or 1990.  Its not seeing the mid-level warmth that would happen despite the mid level low tracks.  Normally the GFS nowadays compensates by showing rain but its likely being confused by the strong surface high to the north.

I will say for whatever it's worth the GFS doesn't show the same warm nose the NAM has at 36hr on the soundings. Strange with a fairly strong southerly wind at 700-750mb. The 700 low does take a slightly better track on the gfs than the NAM. 

9 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

They already know about the cold bias on the v15. So it probably isn’t the forecast tool to use in this situation. They appear to have fixed the cold bias on the V16 which is scheduled to go operational later in the winter.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-governments-new-weather-model-faces-a-storm-of-protest/