• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 5/6th major coastal/ west Atlantic cyclogenesis ...?

Typhoon Tip

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Still to this point in my life have I yet to experience a transition awe that likes of which I did back on the evening of December 10 1992. 

I've told this story ...in prose novular format, so no sense waxing and laboring description all anew.  But, the paraphrased version: 

We were experiencing large cat paws amid sheeting cold rains ... sideways at 38 and change F.   

I was living in Fox Tower dormitory Hall up at UML as I date myself - heh.   Anyway, the building seemed to 'sway' slightly by the force of the wind.  We had a real humdinger bomb going off between NJ and ISP ... destined to be capture, it would then trundle only a slow death off ACK for another day ..day and half, I time in which some pretty extraordinary things took place. 

You know I can't recall - if the Merrimack Valley region was actually under a winter advisory?  But, that system had already spun for 12 hours worth at that point, and out toward Worcester country ...the elevations were rumored to be over a foot with ongoing choking fall rates...  Mind you...this is way back before hand-held high tech made access to radar, satellite and the dizzying array of other Meteorological colonoscopy that we over-stimulate our e-zombie psychotropic addictions with today.  We had the bitter-sweet virtue back then of the 'unsolved mystery,' the 'wonder' of what would be in store.  Haha... yeah, I know - lost on today's wit ... Can't say I'd be willing to return to that state of affairs either in all honesty.  

That was one of those rare times where and when the rumor was actually vastly UNDERselling what was happening out toward Worcester country.  I was down the launge/lobby area just off the front entrance of the Hall, when some guy comes in ..he's looking slightly disheveled ... peering around in juts.  He's soaking wet and runs his hands frantically back through his hair a couple times and murmurs "Jesus Christ"    

"What's wrong with you - what's going on," the security guard that was most students had developed a friendly rapport with - you could tell he liked his gig. Probably kept him young to interact with passer by students, I can imagine.  Anyway, the guy stopped and said, "You wouldn't f'n believe it..I'm in a hurry. I gotta get back to my girlfriend waiting in her car up in Dracut..  

Mind you, Dracut was/is 5 miles as the crow flies from Fox Toward and the UML campus...  

"Why what's up?"   The sequence of events had managed to capture multiple attention spans.  The guy says, the snow storm. She's off the road and I got to make a phone call for a tow because I can't get push her out.  A few of us walked to the front large windows and looked left and right out into the rain abyss of the night ... and furled brows at each other, 'what the hell's he talking about.'   

"Right up over the Tyngsborough bridge it's snowing so hard you can't see!"  ... 

A little while later I boarded the elevator and ascended to my aerie abode higher up in the building.  Despite my grade-point average, I did have the elevated vantage point out of window overlooking the campus.  Ha.   As I was getting off the elevator...another subtle sensation of swaying.  The distant sound of huge wind, I imagined, as it was curling around the monolithic structure of the building.  I'm standing in front of my door, and as I am fumbling with my keys, thy of course jingled to the floor.  When I bent down to recollect to key the door, a brilliant flash permeates from under the door.. Like the crack along the floor, light flashed through.   At first I wondered if my bone-head roommate was in there with his chums sparkin' one off, but as I keyed the door and opened it, I was not greet by purple haze and the sweet stench of skunt testicles... I was greeted by the cocophantic booms of thunder ... 

'Holy shit!'  ...Immediately I'm tripping over chairs in the dark and I think dinged the front of my shin bone - I remember that hurting like holy hell..but I was fumbling my way to the window because ... you know, priorities.  I was standing there... there was another flash puslated over the building... and as the thunder soon followed it seemed to herald one of the more fantastic things I've ever seen in a weather phenomenon.  The entire sky afar began aglow in a butterscotch hue, as one by one, dots of distant lights blinked off... I was trying to makes sense of what I was seeing as another flash ... and as the boom occurred, that hue over took the immediate atmosphere outside the window, and the whole sky to earth and air in between went from R+ to S+ ...  5 seconds. 

Not lie. Not exaggeration.   May less than that. It was literally, instant ... 

12 hours later, we had 18" of snow under a blizzard warning.   

You had me at the sweet stench of skunt testicles...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wentzadelphia said:

The other place I was contemplating was the Mapes at Warner in Warner Nh. Had good reviews and price was good. Little farther N 

Make sure to tour the turtle tank.......they have to pay me to stay there .......

When we arrived the motel office was locked Tim had put the key to one of two reserved rooms on a bulletin board and we were told to call upon arrival. I called and he arrived quickly to get us checked into the second room. First, I was overcharged for 2 nights, 2 rooms when I had reserved 2 rooms, 1 night - an honest mistake I think, but speaks to the lack of attention to detail. The first room we were assigned had a strong smell of smoke, Tim noted all rooms are nonsmoking, but did accomodate and move us to a different room. The "poolside" rooms are dark and dingy - I'm assuming it had been cleaned, but everything is so dated it hardly looks/feels clean. And there are large turtles in a not-very-clean tank in the "lobby" area Worst part was no hot water in the morning -
Read more
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Make sure to tour the turtle tank.......they have to pay me to stay there .......

When we arrived the motel office was locked Tim had put the key to one of two reserved rooms on a bulletin board and we were told to call upon arrival. I called and he arrived quickly to get us checked into the second room. First, I was overcharged for 2 nights, 2 rooms when I had reserved 2 rooms, 1 night - an honest mistake I think, but speaks to the lack of attention to detail. The first room we were assigned had a strong smell of smoke, Tim noted all rooms are nonsmoking, but did accomodate and move us to a different room. The "poolside" rooms are dark and dingy - I'm assuming it had been cleaned, but everything is so dated it hardly looks/feels clean. And there are large turtles in a not-very-clean tank in the "lobby" area Worst part was no hot water in the morning -
Read more

Lol, awesome can’t wait. I still could change my mind on local you guys are scaring me. Bed bugs and turtles. Awesome. 

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Still to this point in my life have I yet to experience a transition awe that likes of which I did back on the evening of December 10 1992. 

I've told this story ...in prose novular format, so no sense waxing and laboring description all anew.  But, the paraphrased version: 

We were experiencing large cat paws amid sheeting cold rains ... sideways at 38 and change F.   

I was living in Fox Tower dormitory Hall up at UML as I date myself - heh.   Anyway, the building seemed to 'sway' slightly by the force of the wind.  We had a real humdinger bomb going off between NJ and ISP ... destined to be capture, it would then trundle only a slow death off ACK for another day ..day and half, I time in which some pretty extraordinary things took place. 

You know I can't recall - if the Merrimack Valley region was actually under a winter advisory?  But, that system had already spun for 12 hours worth at that point, and out toward Worcester country ...the elevations were rumored to be over a foot with ongoing choking fall rates...  Mind you...this is way back before hand-held high tech made access to radar, satellite and the dizzying array of other Meteorological colonoscopy that we over-stimulate our e-zombie psychotropic addictions with today.  We had the bitter-sweet virtue back then of the 'unsolved mystery,' the 'wonder' of what would be in store.  Haha... yeah, I know - lost on today's wit ... Can't say I'd be willing to return to that state of affairs either in all honesty.  

That was one of those rare times where and when the rumor was actually vastly UNDERselling what was happening out toward Worcester country.  I was down the launge/lobby area just off the front entrance of the Hall, when some guy comes in ..he's looking slightly disheveled ... peering around in juts.  He's soaking wet and runs his hands frantically back through his hair a couple times and murmurs "Jesus Christ"    

"What's wrong with you - what's going on," the security guard that was most students had developed a friendly rapport with - you could tell he liked his gig. Probably kept him young to interact with passer by students, I can imagine.  Anyway, the guy stopped and said, "You wouldn't f'n believe it..I'm in a hurry. I gotta get back to my girlfriend waiting in her car up in Dracut..  

Mind you, Dracut was/is 5 miles as the crow flies from Fox Toward and the UML campus...  

"Why what's up?"   The sequence of events had managed to capture multiple attention spans.  The guy says, the snow storm. She's off the road and I got to make a phone call for a tow because I can't get push her out.  A few of us walked to the front large windows and looked left and right out into the rain abyss of the night ... and furled brows at each other, 'what the hell's he talking about.'   

"Right up over the Tyngsborough bridge it's snowing so hard you can't see!"  ... 

A little while later I boarded the elevator and ascended to my aerie abode higher up in the building.  Despite my grade-point average, I did have the elevated vantage point out of window overlooking the campus.  Ha.   As I was getting off the elevator...another subtle sensation of swaying.  The distant sound of huge wind, I imagined, as it was curling around the monolithic structure of the building.  I'm standing in front of my door, and as I am fumbling with my keys, thy of course jingled to the floor.  When I bent down to recollect to key the door, a brilliant flash permeates from under the door.. Like the crack along the floor, light flashed through.   At first I wondered if my bone-head roommate was in there with his chums sparkin' one off, but as I keyed the door and opened it, I was not greet by purple haze and the sweet stench of skunt testicles... I was greeted by the cocophantic booms of thunder ... 

'Holy shit!'  ...Immediately I'm tripping over chairs in the dark and I think dinged the front of my shin bone - I remember that hurting like holy hell..but I was fumbling my way to the window because ... you know, priorities.  I was standing there... there was another flash puslated over the building... and as the thunder soon followed it seemed to herald one of the more fantastic things I've ever seen in a weather phenomenon.  The entire sky afar began aglow in a butterscotch hue, as one by one, dots of distant lights blinked off... I was trying to makes sense of what I was seeing as another flash ... and as the boom occurred, that hue over took the immediate atmosphere outside the window, and the whole sky to earth and air in between went from R+ to S+ ...  5 seconds. 

If this doesn't get you in the mood for a white, wet crushing I don't know what does

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

The other place I was contemplating was the Mapes at Warner in Warner Nh. Had good reviews and price was good. Little farther N 

Mine as well wait till the Euro comes out

Take a weenie drive and stay in the Whites at the Glen House.  That place is classy and has gorgeous views. 1600'

Maples at Warner is in a valley at 400'

• Like 4

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Mine as well wait till the Euro comes out

Yeah definitely. That’s the plan anyway. Won’t be able to actually leave for 2 hours or so...Though I’ve been burned on two chases by the euro. 2013 I went to C MA while CT got the best goods. 2015 went to RI while C MA got raked. 

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Still to this point in my life have I yet to experience a transition awe the likes of which I did back on the evening of December 10 1992. 

That was one of those rare times where and when the rumor was actually vastly UNDERselling what was happening out toward Worcester country.  I was hanging out down the lounge/lobby area not studying... a typical haunt. The setting was just off the front entrance of the Hall, when some guy comes in ..he's looking slightly disheveled ... peering around in juts.  He's soaking wet and runs his hands frantically back through his hair a couple times and murmurs "Jesus Christ"    

"What's wrong with you - what's going on," the security guard that most students had developed a friendly rapport with - you could tell he liked his gig. Probably kept him young to interact with passer by students, I can imagine.  Anyway, the guy stopped and said, "You wouldn't f'n believe it..I'm in a hurry. I gotta get back to my girlfriend waiting in the storm in her car up in Dracut"  

"Why what's up?"   The sequence of events had managed to capture multiple attention spans.  The guy says, "It's the snow storm. She's off the road and I got to make a phone call for a tow because I can't push her out."  A few of us walked over to the large windows next to the door and looked left and right out into the rain abyss of the night ... and furled brows at each other, 'what the hell's he talking about.'   

Never gets old....haha.

My nirvana moment in that storm was while sitting in social studies class around 11am or thereabouts. The same thing happened in terms of gusts of wind when the changeover was happening. These big gusts of wind would "sweep" a blizzard of flakes across the soccer field/playground and into the window, then it would let up and go back to mostly rain. It did this for about 4-5 pulses over the span of 7-8 minutes until the final pulse permanently changed it over. We didn't get the fortune of having thunder at the changeover like you did, but we did get thunder that evening (prob around the time you changed over).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That's such an excellently written weenie snow post that captures everything that was going on perfectly.  

Meanwhile in Raynham, Ma i recall the roar of the trees that nite,  i kept opening the sliding door to my back deck in a sort of awe. Woke up to a miserable 2-3" of Pitiful Snow. I turn on the Tv and see one of the Channel 4 Boston Mets listing snow fall amounts from just a bit inland and north of me. I kept checking different sides of my yard wondering if some tress or wind blocked the spot i initially checked. Nope ...Skunked. Thankfully that day , My Father was picking Me up and he took Us sledding in Cumberland RI. I was in awe as we approached the last mile to Diamond Hill. I noticed trees were sagging severely.  I couldn't believe how much snow was in the parking lot. It was unreal the difference of being further inland and a couple hundred feet. 

I flipped just after midnight...maybe 1am. I remember jumping on the NOAA weather radio and hearing that ORH already had 1' when I had just flipped.

Forecast began at 4-8" for me and kept going up. I think it  ended up at 8-16", which was still a bit low. Ended up with 18". I had never seen snow like that to that point in my life, having grown up in the 80s.

The most remarkable transition that I ever saw is also my first meteorological memory...the March '84 storm. I recall that the changeover was so distinct that I could see it sweep across the neighborhood looking out the window.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Never gets old....haha.

My nirvana moment in that storm was while sitting in social studies class around 11am or thereabouts. The same thing happened in terms of gusts of wind when the changeover was happening. These big gusts of wind would "sweep" a blizzard of flakes across the soccer field/playground and into the window, then it would let up and go back to mostly rain. It did this for about 4-5 pulses over the span of 7-8 minutes until the final pulse permanently changed it over. We didn't get the fortune of having thunder at the changeover like you did, but we did get thunder that evening (prob around the time you changed over).

Makes sense that you guys flipped about 12 or so hours before I did.....there is the additional 12-18" on top of my 18".

21 hours ago, klw said:

Until tomorrow's trends to the west.

Based on nothing but my gut and how the last couple of years of modeling and storms have been going (in my now feeble memory),  I expect a bit more of a NW trend this afternoon. (leading to some good meltdowns) Things will then trend back a bit to the east after that but the storm will have a bit more on the west side up here than the clown maps show and a heavy band will set up from MReeve to PF and up to Alex and Phineas.  Reeve and Freak will end up with 11 or so, Kev in Tolland will get his 8" and accompanying power outages, heaviest will be Monadnocks to Dendrite up to the Maine folks.  I get 3 to 5.

That is all a guess.

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I flipped just after midnight...maybe 1am. I remember jumping on the NOAA weather radio and hearing that ORH already had 1' when I had just flipped.

Forecast began at 4-8" for me and kept going up. Ended up with 18". I had never seen snow like that to that point in my life, having grown up in the 80s.

The most remarkable transition that I ever saw is also my first meteorological memory...the March '84 storm. I recall that the changeover was so distinct that I could see it sweep across the neighborhood looking out the window.

Reno, NV has the most picturesque transitions I’ve ever seen. There, transitions are vertical IE snow levels, and snow always accompanies fog with very low visibility. Growing up on a hill, transitions have the appearance of a ceiling that gradually lowers itself down the backdrop of the sierras to its west, into the valley. As a kid, I could tell you what the current snow level was just by seeing the location of that ceiling.

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Still to this point in my life have I yet to experience a transition awe the likes of which I did back on the evening of December 10 1992. 

That was my first winter in VT.  It was a forecast of 12- 18+ for my area.  I spent 3 days watching CNN covering the storm while we were pounded by nothing but virga as the storm stopped a county away from me.  One of my least favorite events ever.

4 minutes ago, klw said:

Based on nothing but my gut and how the last couple of years of modeling and storms have been going (in my now feeble memory),  I expect a bit more of a NW trend this afternoon. (leading to some good meltdowns) Things will then trend back a bit to the east after that but the storm will have a bit more on the west side up here than the clown maps show and a heavy band will set up from MReeve to PF and up to Alex and Phineas.  Reeve and Freak will end up with 11 or so, Kev in Tolland will get his 8" and accompanying power outages, heaviest will be Monadnocks to Dendrite up to the Maine folks.  I get 3 to 5.

That is all a guess.

I fully expect to see a persistent band of at least moderate snow jammed against the Northern Greens throughout the duration of this event. 

4 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I’m glad u didn’t spend the morning on here to see these latest shifts west.  Oh well.  Never bet against GC.

:weenie:

as you will find out, ORH is just far enough W, E, N, S ... :lol: 

Def gonna have to make the trek back to metro west tmrw morning for this one. Not liking my chances of seeing more than 2-4 where I'm at in Somerville. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm actually pretty excited for the toaster baths during the day tomorrow. "You said I was going to get snow!!1!@"

...right before they flip to 2"/hr. 

This is going to be an interesting storm to track from the pure precip rates standpoint and how it matches up with the ptype....I think there's going to be a very high correlation if I had to guess. Like the first 6-8 hours of this thing kind of slog along with moderate (to maybe low-end heavy) precip and that's when all the toaster baths are gonna happen. Then all of the sudden, those ridiculous echoes on radar rotate in and I can envision a ton of people posting that flakes are mixing in and then changing over.

• Like 1