• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 5/6th major coastal/ west Atlantic cyclogenesis ...?

Typhoon Tip

We Walt

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Good Thursday morning everyone,  (Dec 3),  Think it's soon going to be watch time for a HIGH Impact Multiple hazard event in our NYC forum. Topic initial discussion is a baseline start but I have to trend a little stronger confidence on probably more substantial impacts than initially framed. My main question now...track of the surface lows and a little uncertainty on the speed.

The 00z/3 cycle has trended northwest and GEFS is coming into much closer alignment with the EPS regarding the developing closed low 850MB-500MB.

Power and Snow: It seems to me a significant amount of power outages are in the offing for portions of the I84 corridor, especially high terrain, Saturday from a combination of wet snow exceeding 4" and north or northwest wind gusts of 35-45MPH. Meanwhile, for LI-southern CT, and possibly coastal NJ power outages similar or a bit more than 11/30,  would be from initially east-northeast wind gusts of 45-55 mph with a back side burst late Saturday. Wind gusts "may" reach ~65 MPH on eastern LI. That will be my max.   

Max snowfall in our area: northwest fringe along or north of I84 certainly can exceed half a foot-don't want to get too confident on this yet... we still have tracking disagreement.   Some models favor n CT/interior MA and others, I think more accurately, Poconos northeastward to the Litchfield Hills of nw CT- Berkshires.

NYC: Snow accumulations may occur at the tail end Saturday night or early Sunday to within 10 miles of NYC,  and even NYC could see a flurry or period of wet snow. 

Flooding: My guess based on MMEFS and the likelihood of 1.5-3" of qpf over the vulnerable NJ basins along and northwest of I95, that flooding will occur on all rivers and streams that occurred on 11/30-12/1 and add a few more rivers.  

Thunder could occur in our area during rapid intensification Saturday.  

Did we miss anything?  507A/3

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Is Walt still working for NWS these days? I remember him back in the early 90's working out of BOS.

Retired... have a little FB group for hazardous winter wx and the NYC forum.  Still have to be careful.  My recent sense on modeling... when NAM and EC op are in agreement, that's a good sign for their combined impact.  AND.. I want to the have the GGEM sort of close. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Retired... have a little FB group for hazardous winter wx and the NYC forum.  Still have to be careful.  My recent sense on modeling... when NAM and EC op are in agreement, that's a good sign for their combined impact.  AND.. I want to the have the GGEM sort of close. 

Awesome, congrat's on your retirement Walt. Always looked forward to your discussions! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Please try and post as often as you are able in our forum . Your input is sincerely appreciated !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1