• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 5/6th major coastal/ west Atlantic cyclogenesis ...?

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Even the GEFS at 6z... just huge spread.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-neng-snow_total_multimember_panel-7331600.thumb.png.369c231b889013f0ebbfb204b8ee9c92.png

About 7 or 8 of these out of 30 are still that big Catskill/Adirodack/VT hit. Roughly the same number as the eastern solution over E NH and ME. Although the GFS is a little more insistent on the eastern solution, even nodding towards the mostly coastal ME and on NE from there solutions.

Does any one know if Bretton Woods or any of the other New Hampshire ski resorts will be denying lift tickets to out of state travelers (due to 14 day quarantine) requirement?

I am coming up Saturday morning and I dont want to deal with any fake bs from health dept people

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Been saying all along.....Maine gain.

I agree. I'd favor E NH up through E ME and the Maritimes. The GFS HAS been very, very good the last year or so leading the way on the more progressive, later developing eastern solutions. EC/UK just too often been too wrapped up.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that's generally the climo favored way to go.  I can't remember the last storm to phase faster and earlier than models progged at Day 3.  But plenty phase later than models show at Day 3.

It depends, though...if there is a big NAO block, then it maybe different....but la nina with a neutral or Positive NAO? Why would it phase faster, aside from the model and Kevin willing it to?

Just now, 40westwx said:

Does any one know if Bretton Woods or any of the other New Hampshire ski resorts will be denying lift tickets to out of state travelers (due to 14 day quarantine) requirement?

I am coming up Saturday morning and I dont want to deal with any fake bs from health dept people

I don't think anyone is doing that. Others can chime in, but you should be fine.

2 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

The NH travel restrictions are really just suggestions. No one checks or enforces them as far as I know. We're the COVID Tiujana of New England. Just hop over the border and have some fun. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

You’ll be fine but even if it’s snowing conditions on the slopes will likely be horrible until a few days later. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It depends, though...if there is a big NAO block, then it maybe different....but la nina with a neutral or Positive NAO? Why would it phase faster, aside from the model and Kevin willing it to?

I just don’t follow why you’re going with no snow in CT and Mass. All guidance drops accumulating snow, some quite a bit. I’m fully expecting minimally a few inches. Unless you’re referring to jackpots which will be the NH and Maine mountains 

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

The NH travel restrictions are really just suggestions. No one checks or enforces them as far as I know. We're the COVID Tiujana of New England. Just hop over the border and have some fun. 

My wife was just asking where we're skiing this weekend.  Definitely shopping covid restrictions and mountain openings. Wouldn't be surprised first big dump most mountains restrict to season pass holders/ikon only. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yeah I don’t know.  Just seems like you put your money on the phase and strengthening happening later than models prog.

The ensemble means are getting tweaked though by some super amped solutions, which at this point it seems hard to see this jackpotting N.NY.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I just don’t follow why you’re going with no snow in CT and Mass. All guidance drops accumulating snow, some quite a bit. I’m fully expecting minimally a few inches. Unless you’re referring to jackpots which will be the NH and Maine mountains 

I haven't posted any map yet.

But I would be careful about expecting plowable snow in most of SNE and leave it at that for now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

I heard some folks getting fines mailed to them, they tracked their plates from the toll booths.. not sure that is still happening, that was back in the spring and it was Maine.

3 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Just suggestions here too from what I’ve seen.  No different.  No penalties.  Honor box system.

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Still think North and East in NE is where it as it with this...aside from parting gifts. Think the action way out west is being overplayed attm.

I'll have a first call out today.

Models have this deepening rapidly near the cape, if this deepening is delayed another 6 hours ...

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The NAM has 150m height falls in 9 hrs. That’s really impressive at 500mb. That’s when stuff “happens.”

Not to toot horns but this was mentioned yesterday ...yes, and I'm suspectful of meso-B/CSI type banding with plausible thunder given a NAM solution/blended Euro..I rather like the 'EE' rule in this case, because for one ... these sub-synoptic scale tightly wound mid level forcers are handled better by finer meshed meso models - I don't find it a coincidence that the NAM/Euro and the GGEM aren't even returning the GFS calls anymore.  Edit, 12z NAM is still just 'giga' motions typical for that model's synoptic scale handling - not likely to deter my thinking ( for now..) 

I'm also noting the 06z GFS subtly plumbed nuance-more N/stream through Cleveland ( ~ ) longitude, as it is foisting it's S stream vestigial vortex into the NE trajectory ... 

Which, by the way ... regardless these major player disagreements...pretty much all models indicate a 1.5 deg lat 500 mb wind max trajectory S of L.I. and that fits climatology on frontogenic emergence on the polar side ...   

Pretty sure someone gets thunder ...and the thing with CSI and banding fall rates - ...well, you know the drill...  That height falls was/were noted yesterday and is consistent in the Euro and the blend... instantiating convective instability ( PI ) and then we have the jet mechanics with exception left exit at over top ...  The more I think of this, ..looks like a chance at an over-achievement relative to some of these more robust guidance's as it is...

I don't see the Euro this incorrect/wrong this close ... and in fact, it could even bump east on that track within an acceptable margin of error for still 72 hours and that would make the diff on accum. of course. I suspect we see thunder whether we are caw paws over to ending cake, or more realized parachutes that dynamically in either case moves toward a cryo finish... 

Folks ironically - rightfully ... - suggesting this was a highly dynamic reliant event and frankly, these overnight runs have done a lot to bring into focus this system greatest attributes and it is indeed - from where I am sitting - a dynamical text-book/juggernaut paradigm. 

The 12z should be along now any moment to abase these notions  :arrowhead: ... we'll see.  

Strikingly bad mid range performance but as we are turning the page into short turn, I'm starting to hedge in favor of the Euro as being the leader on this guy -