• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 5/6th major coastal/ west Atlantic cyclogenesis ...?

Typhoon Tip

I could see my hood being the battleground area between cold rain with some slush as it pulls away and total deck destroyer. Going to take an absolute miracle for any kind of decent snow near the CP. Obviously have to favor the ORH hills and Monads for the best in SNE, if we get anything at all, at this point.

4 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

So, I'm a little confused with something. What's the difference of the 3 km Nam model run as opposed to the regular 12z run? My thinking is the Euro will come east a little bit more I still see snow in North central Connecticut

Exactly what it says.  3 km is a resolution between sampled points of 3km vs 12 km 4 x as coarse.

27 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

So, I'm a little confused with something. What's the difference of the 3 km Nam model run as opposed to the regular 12z run? My thinking is the Euro will come east a little bit more I still see snow in North central Connecticut

The short answer is that the "3 KM" refers to the grid spacing ... The "regular" 12z run is 32 KM ...  I'm pretty sure the finer meshed meso models are developed to try and pick up on smaller scaled ... yet important events that the global models are less capable of resolving due to their larger spacing.

That gap is closing though... as tech increases in sampling/sensory, and computing power has pretty much already become incomprehensible ... the global numerical models ( a.k.a., ECMWF, GGEM ..), are approaching those limitations. I'm not frankly sure what the GFS' layout is these days?  Anyone.. ??   I'm pretty sure the ensemble membership of the ensemble system has recently been added members - I don't know if the the finite grid of the models/cluster is smaller tho . 

The model's can and do implement 'convective sequencing' variations - that just means different physical equations ( slightly ...) that handle vertical displacement phenomenon ( convection )within the model... 

In a situation such as this, the height falls are creating an 'instability feedback'  - I believe ...other Mets may have insights - and then the 3KM NAM ...which is intrinsically evolved to be a convection/thunderstorm initiation, may thus be more sensitive ... in then over the evolution of the cyclone - boom, and thus is producing... big dynamical subsequent/additional feed-backs once that convection is going ...etc...   

As far as the Euro coming east .. I still think the very early vestiges of consensus really began yesterday... These more finer meshed models "appear" to be assessing the jet interaction /stream phasing ...certainly differently than the GFS has been, but ...you have different species in the GGEM, Euro and NAM ...yet they end up similarly ... ACK-ish and other than typical 'giga' motions cycle-to-cycle ..the deviations haven't ( in my mind ) been too distracting.  That might suggest that error is centered in the spacing aspect, more so than the perturbed physical variation of mathematics native to each one.  ...