• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 5/6th major coastal/ west Atlantic cyclogenesis ...?

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, ROOSTA said:

Greetings to all. 

Checking in from afar. Boy do I miss being in New England. As the models turn from every run to run. More things change the more of the same I see. On FB I've already put my fore warning of the threat, like being careful of word choice in assessment.

Life here in general side. Health is everything, I will spare y'all from the details. Thankfully my fallback is tracking the storms.

So to keep this brief...LOL 

IT GONNA SNOW!

Move back...miss you in the hill in Arlington 

• Like 1

The N/stream contribution to this is just rounding the arc over NW Terr of Canada where the sampling comes into question. 

It seems the GFS ‘might’ be missing some physical presentation in the grids - that’s my suspicion. 

The Euro really isn’t deviating as much as we are accusing.  The deviations are being accentuated by the focus subjected need for an idealized solution. We are 84 hrs from max and the track is 150 ... 100 mi ... not horrendous. Just means more rain 

..put it this way ... should more phasing prevail ... which major guidance sucked worse ?

When it comes to model assessment got to keep our personal biases for what we want to see happen ...out of it. 

Anyway I thought the Euro would hold and frankly it did - albeit deviating just enough to be disappointing for SNE

1 minute ago, ROOSTA said:

Greetings to all. 

Checking in from afar. Boy do I miss being in New England. As the models turn from every run to run. More things change the more of the same I see. On FB I've already put my fore warning of the threat, like being careful of word choice in assessment.

Life here in general side. Health is everything, I will spare y'all from the details. Thankfully my fallback is tracking the storms.

So to keep this brief...LOL 

IT GONNA SNOW!

Miss ya Don.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The N/stream contribution to this is just rounding the arc over NW Terr of Canada where the sampling comes into question. 

It seems the GFS ‘might’ be missing some physical presentation in the grids - that’s my suspicion. 

The Euro really isn’t deviating as much as we are accusing.  The deviations are be accentuated by the focus subjected need for an idealized solution. We are 84 hrs from max and the track is 150 ... 100 mi ... not horrendous. 

..put it this way ... should mire phasing prevail ... which major guidance sucked worse ?

When it comes to model assessment got to keep our personal biases for what we want to see happen ...out of it. 

any I thought the Euro would hold and frankly it did - albeit deviating just enough to be disappointing for SNE

The 12z Euro wasn't as impressive as it looked for sne....it was only plowable in the hills.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Well, the NAM is terrible here. Went from big snow to zilch in 6 hours. Classic NAM. A blend of Euro and NAM/GFS still has me as ground zero. A whiff seems like a real possibility now. 

I don't thing anything has been determined or off the table, Its going to depend on phasing and where that happens as well as how soon or late.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Well, the NAM is terrible here. Went from big snow to zilch in 6 hours. Classic NAM. A blend of Euro and NAM/GFS still has me as ground zero. A whiff seems like a real possibility now. 

Whiff is likeliest possibility. GFS is the best model at this point. It may be a little flat and progressive sometimes in bias but it has led the way for quite some time now.

NAM is a late phase that moves east before turning NE and getting the low off of Nantucket. 
This is one of the more complicated setups I’ve seen. You have the s/w (more like an ULL) stretched SW-NE from OK to MO. Another similar one over nrn Mexico. It’s then a matter of when does the s/w over OK/MO get sucked east. A real timing issue there.  The other issue is the s/w coming into Lake Superior at hr 72 and how or if that acts as a kicker in a way. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Whiff is likeliest possibility. GFS is the best model at this point. It may be a little flat and progressive sometimes in bias but it has led the way for quite some time now.

That’s very possible. I think we are rooting for different scenarios between our two areas however. You need the bigger wound up Euro look, I need the 18z NAM look. I need a smaller shift west than you. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

NAM is a late phase that moves east before turning NE and getting the low off of Nantucket. 
This is one of the more complicated setups I’ve seen. You have the s/w (more like an ULL) stretched SW-NE from OK to MO. Another similar one over nrn Mexico. It’s then a matter of when does the s/w over OK/MO get sucked east. A real timing issue there.  The other issue is the s/w coming into Lake Superior at hr 72 and how or if that acts as a kicker in a way. 

I still favor the late phase.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have seen it refuse to cave on an early phase and be wrong...I am sure NYC and w CT can name an instance.

It could easily quietly cave overnight on a 00z run when everyone is asleep. The Euro likes to do that. GFS seems to like to cave at 06z on the other hand. Models are cowards like that. 

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The lack of cold air source makes this difficult to become too invested in.  Relying almost entirely on dynamics is not the odds I like.

I’ll be more interested to see what this looks like at this time tomorrow night.

Yeah it’s kind of a shit sandwich in SNE in this one. A zonked system jack-potting Saranac Lake NY on one end and a whiff on the other...and then some in-between runs of garbage 37F and rain. 

We need the exotic nuclear bomb solutions with a pretty narrow track to work in SNE. Up north obviously has some more wiggle room. Esp N NH into interior ME.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it’s kind of a shit sandwich in SNE in this one. A zonked system jack-potting Saranac Lake NY on one end and a whiff on the other...and then some in-between runs of garbage 37F and rain. 

We need the exotic nuclear bomb solutions with a pretty narrow track to work in SNE. Up north obviously has some more wiggle room. Esp N NH into interior ME.   

It’s nice to be able to track something, but kind of wish this stayed as zero potential for SNE, like we first were thinking, and got out of the way, and the 7th-8th with the better airmass was still on the table.

This will almost undoubtedly rain on the vast majority of us for the most part,  due to the fact we are having to rely on a mega bomb on the perfect track.