• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Dec 5/6th major coastal/ west Atlantic cyclogenesis ...?

Typhoon Tip

Unfortunately I think the GFS has led the way more often than not the last year with these systems. Whereas it often had a progressive bias and would eventually cave to the Euro/UK/NAM blend, it seems as if more than often the last year it's the other way around.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Unfortunately I think the GFS has led the way more often than not the last year with these systems. Whereas it often had a progressive bias and would eventually cave to the Euro/UK/NAM blend, it seems as if more than often the last year it's the other way around.

Not a bad assessment actually ...

To re-iterate...the GFS has a speed bias that is hidden by the fact that the general circulation everywhere has in fact sped up over the last decade.   It's sort of 'masking' the GFS' bias inside that making it less notable ...and one such way that manifest is what you are noticing - imho.  Because I've noticed that myself - it's the old "right for the wrong reason" ... In other words, I don't know or believe that the GFS is really arriving to these faster shred asunder appeals 'organically' ... 

It does seem the problems with the Euro began as the seasonal circulations speed up kicked in ... - it's like the environmental arena is changing in favor of one and not the other.   interesting - if supposition/anecdotal ..

That said, I'm not sure the GFS is right in this case ... just yet.  Like to see the N/stream get sampled better as it is N of Alberta/Manatoba over the lower archipelago of the NW Canadian shield as of 18z ... It cold nose over the border at 10 kts added and make a big difference...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Old news from 10 years ago.  Off hour runs are just as relevant and accurate.

We all know DIT knows this. Just gotta follow whichever direction the weenie blows.

18z run misses: “We’re using off hour runs now?”

18z run crushes: “6/18z runs are just as good as 0/12z now”

• Haha 5

Just now, dryslot said:

Just need the EE rule to overrule...........;)

Not that long ago we all would have just tossed the GFS if the other models were lined up with the Euro. It was a lock. It doesn’t snow in MD so down there I guess we never noticed the Euro sucks now. No models even give us digital snow at this point.

• Like 1

My opinion..Euro will cave toward GFS at 18z.  In my opinion it won’t come again with the monster nuke it had at 12z.   Just my call/opinion.

If it does...then I think we have to take the big idea a tad more seriously if it goes back to back.  

It had the big idea back on Monday at 12z, but then lost it until today at 12z.  Can it hold the big storm idea for more than a random run?  The old Euro used to in this range...but this current Euro ain’t what he used to be.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

Hopefully the GFS is just off with the phase.  But then again, I think I'm in a catch-22 situation for Northern Main.   To little phasing...meh.  Too much..rain comes up

Woah you’re in Maine now?

I’m def going to Randy’s during a winter threat. Best chance to get 8”...might even get some snow too 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not a bad assessment actually ...

To re-iterate...the GFS has a speed bias that is hidden by the fact that the general circulation everywhere has in fact sped up over the last decade.   It's sort of 'masking' the GFS' bias inside that making it less notable ...and one such way that manifest is what you are noticing - imho.  Because I've noticed that myself - it's the old "right for the wrong reason" ... In other words, I don't know or believe that the GFS is really arriving to these faster shred asunder appeals 'organically' ... 

It does seem the problems with the Euro began as the seasonal circulations speed up kicked in ... - it's like the environmental arena is changing in favor of one and not the other.   interesting - if supposition/anecdotal ..

That said, I'm not sure the GFS is right in this case ... just yet.  Like to see the N/stream get sampled better as it is N of Alberta/Manatoba over the lower archipelago of the NW Canadian shield as of 18z ... It cold nose over the border at 10 kts added and make a big difference...

Yea. We’ve been stuck in fast flows for several winters now so the gfs has had the right idea more often than not, even if it’s particular solution isn’t spot on...but the euro idea of wrapping up cyclones off the coast of NJ as if the flow is slow and buckled is almost always overdone. Model bias at play unrecognizable of the fast-er wave movement. 

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

My opinion..Euro will cave toward GFS at 18z.  In my opinion it won’t come again with the monster nuke it had at 12z.   Just my call/opinion.

If it does...then I think we have to take the big idea a tad more seriously if it goes back to back.  

It had the big idea back on Monday at 12z, but then lost it until today at 12z.  Can it hold the big storm idea for more than a random run?  The old Euro used to in this range...but this current Euro ain’t what he used to be.  

It could cave from the biblical look but still show 5-10 hopefully.