Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2020

George BM

On 12/20/2020 at 8:08 PM, JakkelWx said:

It's January 10th 2021 and I am still shoveling the 30 inches of snow in my driveway, as of 11 AM. I started at 9 AM. Ji is still not happy because he only received 35 inches instead of 36

Experienced 3-4"/hr snowfall rates w/ 45-50 mph wind gusts through the wee hours this morning. I even witnessed thundersnow thrice! :) 

The wait for a storm to take advantage of this pattern was definitely worth it. It's unfortunate that Ji couldn't just enjoy the storm instead of worrying about the back-edge. He may be the first poster to ever get reaped by da reaper in the middle of a HECS.

@WxWatcher007 is this true?... about this being the first reaping to take place during a HECS? Btw, one of those lightning strikes may have been your reaping now that I think about it. The flash that I saw fits with the time of Ji's reaping.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Day 10 has been the place to be for about ten days now...and still is. That’s not ideal. 

Still waiting for the NA block to evolve, and park in the ideal position. Then we can start to get an idea how effective it will be in mitigating the less than favorable Pacific. We should know in about 10 days!

14 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Still waiting for the NA block to evolve, and park in the ideal position. Then we can start to get an idea how effective it will be in mitigating the less than favorable Pacific. We should know in about 10 days!

We need a cold air source imho. I realize near normal could work but if we are going to truly cash in on this potential pattern, relying on antecedent AN temps won't cut it as we saw last week. That incredible dome of BN anomalous temps bottled up on the other side of the Hemisphere needs to budge. There just is no cold source to the North and lack of expansive snow cover isnt helping to keep any BN stuff in tact...it keeps moderating if you look at maps over the past 3 weeks or so. If we can get a CPF we could be in business but even that generally takes 10 days or so to migrate the cold source across the N Hemisphere. I dont know man....we are seeing great H5 looks on the ens for a bit now wrt NAO but can't even muster a fantasy storm. That is a sad reality. Eventually we will get something....just hope it isn't a one and done deal late Jan then early spring in Feb as many winter outlooks called for.

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

We need a cold air source imho. I realize near normal could work but if we are going to truly cash in on this potential pattern, relying on antecedent AN temps won't cut it as we saw last week. That incredible dome of BN anomalous temps bottled up on the other side of the Hemisphere needs to budge. There just is no cold source to the North and lack of expansive snow cover isnt helping to keep any BN stuff in tact...it keeps moderating if you look at maps over the past 3 weeks or so. If we can get a CPF we could be in business but even that generally takes 10 days or so to migrate the cold source across the N Hemisphere. I dont know man....we are seeing great H5 looks on the ens for a bit now wrt NAO but can't even muster a fantasy storm. That is a sad reality. Eventually we will get something....just hope it isn't a one and done deal late Jan then early spring in Feb as many winter outlooks called for.

I think the persistence of the -AO as we move forward into our colder climo period is the key for getting some decent cold down here. If the EPO/WPO stays positive, a bit of PNA ridge at the right time may help keep energy from digging in too far west and amplifying. The (apparently) inevitable SWE is also a wildcard that may shuffle the longwave pattern some. I am hoping it primarily reinforces the -AO and the tendency for blocking. If the Nina is on the decline, maybe we get a bit of help in the EPO domain going forward.

Really curious to see the results of that prime rib, @BristowWx! I’ve never cooked one before, but if I did I’d probably go low and slow and then reverse sear on the Big Green Egg.

Wife whipped up a bunch of cookies yesterday and presents were prepped last night, so today will be about the kitchen for me. Will be making my lobster bisque, as well as getting brioche dough together. Will also be prepping various appetizer-type dishes for tonight’s “apps and scraps” dinner.

Probably looking at T-minus 6 hours until first beer...

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic