Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea something it’s trended towards today...there are 2 systems in close proximity crashing into the west next week. Earlier runs had a bit more space and the initial wave ejected. The 2nd dug in the SW and was eventually a threat around Jan 3-5. This run (and EPS supports) there isn’t much space and the lead wave washes out and most of the energy gets absorbed into the second which amplified the trough way too much to our west. EPS has a good look around day 11-13 fWIW 

I saw that but why can’t we seem to get low heights in the 50/50 area?  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea something it’s trended towards today...there are 2 systems in close proximity crashing into the west next week. Earlier runs had a bit more space and the initial wave ejected. The 2nd dug in the SW and was eventually a threat around Jan 3-5. This run (and EPS supports) there isn’t much space and the lead wave washes out and most of the energy gets absorbed into the second which amplified the trough way too much to our west. EPS has a good look around day 11-13 fWIW 

Troughs dumping too far west and shortwaves amplifying too soon/west is a tendency during Ninas correct?  I think this is what we are going to be battling as we try to time up a storm with a favorable NA. Hopefully we can get a bit of a PNA ridge at just the right time.

18 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

I saw that but why can’t we seem to get low heights in the 50/50 area?  

Look where the NA ridge is located. Cant have a high and a low in the same place. Ideally we want the +heights focused further NW. There are hints of that towards the end of the ens runs.

gfs-ens_z500aMean_atl_6.png

54 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

You know once the Nina fades and the PAC lag starts to become workable we are going to lose the -NAM right? 

Unlikely.  You would need the Niña to remain strong in all likelihood to lose the Atlantic.   There are very few if any cases since 1950 where December had a solid AO/NAO that were negative where there wasn’t another long duration negative stretch in January or February without some sort of decent La Niña influence.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Hard to tell it all gets mixed with timing issues between the waves. Track for the period after looks good but it’s all rainy solutions on the eps. Disappointing 

i hope this isnt the kind of winter where JB wins at 500MB but loses at the surface like he likes to claim on failed winters

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

i hope this isnt the kind of winter where JB wins at 500MB but loses at the surface like he likes to claim on failed winters

That was always BS. We are still suffering from that fall pattern though. Left us void of a domestic cold air source.  Sometimes in that situation blocking takes a while to pay off. Seriously go back end look at the January 2016 thread. We had good blocking for a while before that storm and I remember this exact same conversation.  My guess is if the PV gets obliterated and we get a -AO for a significant portion of winter we will do ok. Maybe better then ok. Probably not good enough to make you happy though. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ji said:
3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:
So we are out to January now? The storm after the storm after the storm? 

As long as we are tracking something in late December. We probably won't see anymore snow in 2020

Good thing everyone on here got snow last week.....oh wait

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic