joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

1 minute ago, Ji said:

this literally is the worst block ive ever seen. Rain, warm and cutters

ecmwf_T850_namer_10.png

With the pac not ideal we still need spacing. The wave slows and amplified too early allowing too much spacing between it and the miller b that becomes the 50/50. Look up top is good. Other things are the problem there. We need that system to eject and be less amplified out west to work.  

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Got a west based -NAO and a 50/50 and it goes to Chicago.  The Pac drives the bus...got to get a little bit of help there.

Exactly.

Ji zooms in on one feature and thinks just because it exists, there can only be one possible result. It cuts because the PAC is crap and an eastern ridge pops.

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Exactly.

Ji zooms in on one feature and thinks just because it exists, there can only be one possible result. It cuts because the PAC is crap and an eastern ridge pops.

your not suppose to have a SE ridge when there is a Southern -Western NAO block and a 50 50 low

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Exactly.

Ji isn’t totally wrong. The analogs to that look aren’t that bad. Lots of snow outcomes. That kind of blocking historically would overcome a bad pac most of the time. He might be on to a sobering reality that in a warmer regime now it no longer can. I’m not jumping there yet. One run. Last run snowed on us. I’ll see how this plays out. But there are a lot of runs that torch us right through a crazy block period. If that ends up reality I would be a little disheartened...not just by the short term disappointment but the long term implications. to be clear i don’t mean if we just get unlucky and a phase happens too late or a storm gets suppressed. But if we get a -3stdv AO and a west based block and everything cuts...I don’t care what the pac looks like history suggests that line of look can overcome the pac. If we need both the pac and atl to be perfect to get snow...well we won’t see it very often!  

• Like 3

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Ji isn’t totally wrong. The analogs to that look aren’t that bad. Lots of snow outcomes. That kind of blocking historically would overcome a bad pac most of the time. He might be on to a sobering reality that in a warmer regime now it no longer can. I’m not jumping there yet. One run. Last run snowed on us. I’ll see how this plays out. But there are a lot of runs that torch us right through a crazy block period. If that ends up reality I would be a little disheartened...not just by the short term disappointment but the long term implications. to be clear i don’t mean if we just get unlucky and a phase happens too late or a storm gets suppressed. But if we get a -3stdv AO and a west based block and everything cuts...I don’t care what the pac looks like history suggests that line of look can overcome the pac. If we need both the pac and atl to be perfect to get snow...well we won’t see it very often!  

Its one op run. I am just looking at it at face value. Not making any broader conclusions. I evaluate at h5, not the surface, and I can tell ya I saw where this run was heading pretty quickly.

1609308000-ei5ihGzDkCE.png

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Its one op run. I am just looking at it at face value. Not making any broader conclusions. I evaluate at h5, not the surface, and I can tell ya I saw where this run was heading pretty quickly.

1609308000-ei5ihGzDkCE.png

The pac isn’t a dumpster fire that wave is just too amplified too early. The look day 10 is good. 

31 minutes ago, Ji said:

if we cant get winter storms in our best patterns....we are cooked bro. Wait till the blocking falls apart and its in the mid 90s in late January

You need to move somewhere else. You know the climo of this area and yet you still go berserk every year that isn't a 2009 - 2010.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Oh I am sure I will get better rain events than that.

You couldn't ask for a better rain event than last week. We were so close to the r/s line and the temperatures were so close to freezing but I didn't see a single flake. I call that a win.

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

No, its workable on the means. But we know it will be uncooperative at times. And again, my posts were wrt  this particular op run. 

Yea something it’s trended towards today...there are 2 systems in close proximity crashing into the west next week. Earlier runs had a bit more space and the initial wave ejected. The 2nd dug in the SW and was eventually a threat around Jan 3-5. This run (and EPS supports) there isn’t much space and the lead wave washes out and most of the energy gets absorbed into the second which amplified the trough way too much to our west. EPS has a good look around day 11-13 fWIW 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic