Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Real shame we can’t get more PAC cooperation. We wait years for the Atlantic to get it together and this is what we get. Still think January has potential through at least the first half.

When was the last time we even had PAC cooperation? Lol Seems like it's been forever! Is it just less cooperative in general than it used to be?

22 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Real shame we can’t get more PAC cooperation. We wait years for the Atlantic to get it together and this is what we get. Still think January has potential through at least the first half.

My thoughts exactly....We (myself included) always expect threats to line up exactly with good/great looks but that is rarely the case it seems.  I still think the potential is high as we enter Jan....frustrating being patient but I still think this pattern needs to mature.  Cant create a logjam in the ATL overnight.

7 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

Regardless how this ends up, love the look of a strong high pressure overtop to prevent the storm from cutting. 

Edit: Unfortunately, the high pressure system moves out of the way allowing the low pressure system over Texas to cut. 

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.png

Trough is way too amplified too far west. Pumps ridging ahead. No confluence. Cutter. But a whole lot of higher heights up top by day 10. I know patience is difficult but after the AO/NAO bottoms out and starts to relax is our favored time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Finally starting to see the temp anomalies we need showing up.  
1585A0E9-E67C-4843-8DF9-1FB99FCDE554.thumb.png.51badf700d8b1dfa3d37891d62abcfa4.png

However with a torched source region for arctic airmasses and an increasing sun angle is a recipe for disaster. I am not surprised anyone can look at these graphics with a semblance of sanity and see the writing on the wall. The corona extinction of aerosols is what got us but we were already close to the end.

200.gif

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

@Ji Just sayin maybe we should let this play out. The blocking is just establishing itself next week. With each wave break it retrogrades more into a canonical blocking regime.  Both the TPV and SPV look to get obliterated soon.  We typically score after the blocking peaks not before. 

Yeah its going to take some patience, Both the EPS and GEFS build the +heights  more NW towards the Davis strait by the first week of Jan. Until then its going to be a struggle to get something to track underneath with a lot of energy dropping down so far west, and the NA ridge in the near term displaced too far east.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Day 10 

4477364F-80BC-47E7-8273-FB446C9CD900.thumb.png.3475aff6ca4433f6803e9ae0c0d5d997.png
That’s a lot of red in the right places 

Unfortunately, the blue is all types of wrong out west lol. It’s always 10 days away @psuhoffman lol. Crazy block though 

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Hopefully this doesn't become a can kicking exercise in the LR. This is where we want the block, and we hope for some Pacific cooperation. This is a good look right here.

EPS has an impressive west based -NAO as well, but maybe a bit less favorable look out west.

1609956000-dPYU6DcQ7sE.png

Again, one frame at 384 hours. And flow looks pretty flat coming off the PAC. I’m beginning to worry that we won’t score with a bad PAC and troughing south of AK. Seems like that a recipe for warm wet, cold dry sequence over and over again. Can’t not expect it though. That’s kinda La Niña for you

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Unfortunately, the blue is all types of wrong out west lol. It’s always 10 days away @psuhoffman lol. Crazy block though 

Again, one frame at 384 hours. And flow looks pretty flat coming off the PAC. I’m beginning to worry that we won’t score with a bad PAC and troughing south of AK. Seems like that a recipe for warm wet, cold dry sequence over and over again. Can’t not expect it though. That’s kinda La Niña for you

Let me guess, you always approach model and map reading with a "what could go wrong" eye?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

One last observation. The runs that show snow around New Years do so by splitting the energy out west. There are multiple SWs crashing in next week. Runs that keep them separated and bring them out in pieces are further south. If they consolidate into one amplified trough out west the storm cuts. 

Seems as though there will be multiple +EAMT events upcoming.  Hopefully, this provides a few +PNA intervals, coinciding with a storm threat for us in January. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic