• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

For downtown, the last 6+ event was that Feb 2018 event (I believe around 8”). In November 2018, we had a DAB downtown. Nov 2015 was a fluke here as well, so last double digit event I’ve seen here was GHDII, 6 years ago

2 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Chicago hasn't had a 6"+ calendar day snowfall since 2/9/18. The last 6"+ snowstorm was 11/26-27/18. Was thinking about that in context of how NYC didn't get as much as some of the earlier model progs, but Central Park still got 10.5", which was their largest December storm since Boxing Day 2010.

The last double digit snowfall at ORD was 11/20-21/15 and the last double digit snowfall during met winter was GHD II. Obviously major events are a lot less common out here than the east coast but we're seriously overdue. December has become a feast or famine month locally, mostly famine since 2010, with only 2010, 2013, and 2016 featuring above normal snow. The prior decade on the other hand had some very big Decembers (with also a few lean years), none more so than 2000. We won't be able to finalize what the December normal will be for the '90-'20 climate normal period until this month ends but prelim data is the December average/normal will drop to 7.5" from 8.2".

• Thanks 1

On the subject of the upcoming 1991-2020 averages...

Despite the slight decrease in average December snow in Chicago that RC mentioned, it appears that the yearly snowfall average may go up slightly if I'm looking at it right.  Having an 82" output in 2013-14 helps.  :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

chasing futility in december is so brutal because you know a period of dusters in march is going to ruin it anyways

Think at some point we will get that few week window between now and Mid April that will boost snow totals from  noteworthy futility to just brutal.lol

17 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Think at some point we will get that few week window between now and Mid April that will boost snow totals from  noteworthy futility to just brutal.lol

I am right there with you.  GRR is going to be at a 20"+ snowfall deficit for the year after this week.  They have only recorded 0.4" for the year with is 0.3"+ more than I have.  Still waiting for your first measurable snow in an area that average close to 80" a year is pretty bad.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

17 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

if a storm of that type happened in this subforum, even a watered down version, you'd have some mighty unhappy posters and some ecstatic ones lol. A death band of 35-40" with a pedestrian foot just a short distance away. 

Although Philadelphia only saw a general 3-6", it was literally puking snow during that front-end thump (lasted about 2 hours). 

Cotton ball sized flakes too.

50 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Its awful. Can tell this certainly went to the lowest bidder... 

lol I must be the only one who doesnt mind it. Environment Canada also updated its radar recently (for the app) 

I use radar scope personally but I also check out NWS and EC ones. 

Why doesnt the NWS have an app? EC came out with an app maybe 1-2 years ago and I like it. 

A guy I know from high school was charged with murder in the death of his girlfriend.  Not somebody I knew well, but we played basketball and hung out a little.  Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but he probably did it.  She supposedly told her friends that he was abusive and an autopsy revealed old and new injuries, so it appears there were multiple incidents over a period of time.

Another acquaintance from high school became a child molester.  Pretty unbelievable actually because my circle of friends/acquaintances back then was fairly small.  Try to contain your shock when learning that my small stature in middle school and into high school as well as deep interest in science -- especially wx, of course -- wasn't exactly favorable for being Mr. Popular.

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/schererville-man-charged-in-beating-death-of-girlfriend/article_cb67074e-221c-5547-a4b9-c038dfcee22c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

• Sad 3

The IT side of the agency is a running joke. We always talk about what we should have but don't. When we got AWIPS2 5 years ago or whatever it was, it was okay for 2010. Anyone seen the Sportsmax skit from SNL? 'I have 500 sworn affidavits that our IT is the best in the world!' lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

A guy I know from high school was charged with murder in the death of his girlfriend.  Not somebody I knew well, but we played basketball and hung out a little.  Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but he probably did it.  She supposedly told her friends that he was abusive and an autopsy revealed old and new injuries, so it appears there were multiple incidents over a period of time.

Another acquaintance from high school became a child molester.  Pretty unbelievable actually because my circle of friends/acquaintances back then was fairly small.  Try to contain your shock when learning that my small stature in middle school and into high school as well as deep interest in science -- especially wx, of course -- wasn't exactly favorable for being Mr. Popular.

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/schererville-man-charged-in-beating-death-of-girlfriend/article_cb67074e-221c-5547-a4b9-c038dfcee22c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

That's why I've always been thankful for nerds in whatever field of endeavor.

39 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The NWS way. And they didn't even put correlation coefficient on there, only the most useful dual pol product. Can't wait until the next new page comes out in 15 years.

As I said in another thread, good thing I use either GR Level 3 (PC), Radarscope (phone), or COD website (public/work computers). Still, shame the official U.S. government forecasting agency has such a poor radar product on their site. Definitely seems like a step backward but it's far from the only one.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The NWS way. And they didn't even put correlation coefficient on there, only the most useful dual pol product. Can't wait until the next new page comes out in 15 years.

I don't know how they can see things like GR or RadarScope and think this is a good alternative resource. I mean as much as the old page had its flaws at least it was easier to navigate.

• Like 4