Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

What part of the northeast are you from? I'm guessing Boston based on your earlier post? Sorry to hear about the flight. my brother lived downtown Chicago and he's often missing the best snows compared to the suburbs but the Feb 2015 storm he got some crazy pics. A Midwest winter climate will be colder with more days of snowfall but the big storms just won't compare. Just how it is. 

Funny story...my brother is living in Willimantic CT for a year or so. His girlfriend loves snow. I've already told them that if they get a legit northeast storm im coming to visit. She was just pining for some snow and kept telling me she was so jealous when we had snow to start the month. Then they were anticipating a noreaster and got a rain logged 1 inch of snow. Poor girl has been dying to see some snow. They are now safely back in MI for the holidays...and CT will see its biggest storm in 5 years lol. At least she gets some snow today.

From northern NJ, but the good snow climo part of the state.

Yea that was a fantastic storm, I remember it well, and certainly compared to the 24"+ storms I experienced in my childhood in the northeast. I was excited to move to Chicago for the reasons you mentioned (more frequent snowfall, generally colder). I like winter, so I'm happy with that. But it really just doesn't seem the climo is what it used. The grass outside my apartment had a dusting for the first time this winter...mid December. Shouldn't be like that in Chicago several years in a row.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mimillman said:

From northern NJ, but the good snow climo part of the state.

Yea that was a fantastic storm, I remember it well, and certainly compared to the 24"+ storms I experienced in my childhood in the northeast. I was excited to move to Chicago for the reasons you mentioned (more frequent snowfall, generally colder). I like winter, so I'm happy with that. But it really just doesn't seem the climo is what it used. The grass outside my apartment had a dusting for the first time this winter...mid December. Shouldn't be like that in Chicago several years in a row.

As I've mentioned before, it seems to be mother nature is making up for the excess of severe winter weather 2007-2015. There have certainly been good snows and bouts of cold since (hello Jan 2019) but 3 of the past 4 winters have been subpar, even for areas that have done ok the snowfall department. We have a more consistent climate than the east where they can have near snowless winters or huge noreasters, but there are still cycles, ebbs and flows if you will.

15 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Philly had 0.3" of snow TOTAL last winter and a winter storm warning now lol. that doesn't sound like pissed 

I'm going off the model trends.

Just 48 hours ago, they were expected to see at least a foot of snow. But if you buy the latest model runs (which have been trending warmer and NW), they'll be lucky to get a couple of inches. Meanwhile, areas 60 - 80 miles NW of the city could be pushing 2 feet. 

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That was one heck of a snowstorm apparently. The 1960s were not a good decade for big snowstorms locally, we missed most of the good ones. The blizzard of 1965 was by far the biggest storm of the decade, dropping 10-14" of snow (11" officially) and lots of drifting. 

It was our best snowstorm of that decade too. It was a powerful Gulf Low I believe. Which if I stand corrected are our "version" of Nor'easters. Really? We had many 3-6" and 6-10" events and a dozen if not more 10"+ storms. Was a good decade up this way. One of the more snowier ones of the 20th century. 

Just now, Snowstorms said:

It was our best snowstorm of that decade too. Really? We had many 3-6" and 6-10" events and a dozen if not more 10"+ storms. Was a good decade up this way. One of the more snowier ones of the 20th century. 

The 1960s where actually pretty cold winters but we were a screw zone for snow. most insane would be Jan 26, 1967, the Chicago blizzard. DTW saw 4" of snow and a ton of ice. Drive a half hour north or west of there and you were over a foot. For 6"+ storms the best decades were 2010s, 2000s, 1970s. 

• Like 1

Just now, Powerball said:

I was WFH since March at my last job.

Got laid off in October and 1.5 months later managed to land a permanent WFH job.

That's great, congratulations. It's been tough for a lot of people this year and I'm glad you were able to land something quick. I remember at my last job I was laid off for 6 months, just wasn't getting anything. Hope all is well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

The 1960s where actually pretty cold winters but we were a screw zone for snow. most insane would be Jan 26, 1967, the Chicago blizzard. DTW saw 4" of snow and a ton of ice. Drive a half hour north or west of there and you were over a foot. For 6"+ storms the best decades were 2010s, 2000s, 1970s. 

Yeah, they were cold for us too especially winters like 1962-63, 1964-65 and the late 60's. We got 8" from that storm and some freezing rain. Chicago got the brunt of it. I'm not entirely sure about our snowiest decades but I can tell you the 2010's are not top 3 lol. The 1860’s are definitely top 3. Our snowiest winter ever is 1869-70 where Toronto recorded 123.3”. 62” fell in March alone.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

That's great, congratulations. It's been tough for a lot of people this year and I'm glad you were able to land something quick. I remember at my last job I was laid off for 6 months, just wasn't getting anything. Hope all is well. 

Thanks!

It was really luck (right place, right time). I had fully expected to be out of work for several months or longer. 

1 minute ago, Powerball said:

Thanks!

It was really luck (right place, right time). I had fully expected to be out of work for several months or longer. 

Sometimes a little luck is all you need. That's great! Now that your permanently WFH, are you back in Michigan? Or still in Texas? 

Just now, Snowstorms said:

Sometimes a little luck is all you need. That's great! Now that your permanently WFH, are you back in Michigan? Or still in Texas? 

No plans on moving back to Michigan. 

I'll probably be in Texas for a little bit, then move someplace else for a different experience. The 2nd biggest perk for me with WFH is that you don't have to anchor yourself down to any one location.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Powerball said:

No plans on moving back to Michigan. 

I'll probably be in Texas for a little bit, then move someplace else for a different experience. The 2nd biggest perk for me with WFH is that you don't have to anchor yourself down to any one location.

I agree. Flexibility is there and you can move around freely. I love it personally. :D

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Yeah, they were cold for us too especially winters like 1962-63, 1964-65 and the late 60's. We got 8" from that storm and some freezing rain. Chicago got the brunt of it. I'm not entirely sure about our snowiest decades but I can tell you the 2010's are not top 3 lol. The 1860’s are definitely top 3. Our snowiest winter ever is 1869-70 where Toronto recorded 123.3”. 62” fell in March alone.  

Records didn't exist in Detroit in the 1860s, i wish they did. They 1880s were an interesting decade because there was a unique mix of very severe winters and very warm, snowless ones. The top 5 decades for 6"+ storms (just confirmed)

2010s (19)

1900s (17)

2000s (16)

1890s (15)

1920s & 1970s (14).

in terms of total snowfall,ranking decades from snowiest to least snowy....

2010s

1900s

1920s

1970s

2000s

1980s

1890s

1880s

1910s

1990s

1950s

1930s

1960s

1940s

• Like 2

I had to post this here when I saw it, thanks to @andyhb for bringing it to my attention. Binghamton NY's ob

KBGM 170553Z AUTO 1/4SM +SN FZFG VV002 M09/M11 A2985 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 3/4 SLP136 P0040 60120 T10891106 11072 21089 58023 RVRNO

.40 liquid in one hour 1.20 in 6. Even at 10:1 you are talking 4" per hour that hour and 2" per hour in 6 hours. But that is at 10:1. Notice the temp/dew -9c/-11c. You are almost assuredly having higher than 10:1 ratios. Even at 12:1 thats 4.8" and 14.4 in 1/6 hours.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I had to post this here when I saw it, thanks to @andyhb for bringing it to my attention. Binghamton NY's ob

KBGM 170553Z AUTO 1/4SM +SN FZFG VV002 M09/M11 A2985 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 3/4 SLP136 P0040 60120 T10891106 11072 21089 58023 RVRNO

.40 liquid in one hour 1.20 in 6. Even at 10:1 you are talking 4" per hour that hour and 2" per hour in 6 hours. But that is at 10:1. Notice the temp/dew -9c/-11c. You are almost assuredly having higher than 10:1 ratios. Even at 12:1 thats 4.8" and 14.4 in 1/6 hours.

Good stuff

I have only seen 4" in an hour a couple times... both were LES.  I'm talking about an actual measured 4" in an hour, not something like 1" in 15 minutes that would extrapolate to 4" 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Posted in Dec thread, but there's a report of 5.5" in one hour at BGM.

dhdh.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I remember back in '85 or maybe '86 Houghton Lake getting 12" in 4 hrs and that was nothing to do with LES. It's pretty rare but once in a while somebody in the Mitt will get some EC-like rates. Just doesn't go on for 20 hrs like over there, lol

33 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Next of kin?

Guy is still on the loose btw, and it's turned into an even bigger story around here because it is obvious that the company who was responsible for transporting him (it was not local/county/state police) was lax with their procedures and then tried to lie about how it happened... there is surveillance footage that contradicts their account of the escape.  Good luck trying to find this guy in public now in the era when you can wear a mask and blend right in. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Guy is still on the loose btw, and it's turned into an even bigger story around here because it is obvious that the company who was responsible for transporting him (it was not local/county/state police) was lax with their procedures and then tried to lie about how it happened... there is surveillance footage that contradicts their account of the escape.  Good luck trying to find this guy in public now in the era when you can wear a mask and blend right in. 

I saw the footage this morning. The prisoner escaped while the company driver was ordering at a McDonald's drive-thru. :lol:

• Haha 1

From the LR thread:

2 hours ago, Cary67 said:

A clipper miss to the north and the rinse repeat El Nino track providing winter from Detroit and Central Ohio and pts east through the end of the month. Outside of the 2 day rainer giving us all our December precip its been warm and dry since late October.

Screenshot_20201217-060912_Samsung Internet.jpg

I feel like storm systems used to spin up in the lee of the Rockies and then raise hell (winter + severe) from there to the east coast throughout winter and spring. For the better part of the last decade it seems like everything forms/intensifies east of us. The only impact events the Midwest gets anymore are sneaky mesoscale accidents like the August derecho.

• Sad 1