• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Irish
    Newest Member
    Irish

Fall Banter and General Discussion

49 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Holy crap Eddie Van Halen died. I’m legit devastated. 

RIP Eddie 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

The throat cancer got him?, Thought he was doing better.

That’s been the rumor for years and  I guess it explains why they haven’t toured again 

5 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

That’s been the rumor for years and  I guess it explains why they haven’t toured again 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

If not the best guitarist I’d say in the top 5

Don’t open that can of worms. Let’s just say he was an elite level guitar player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

If not the best guitarist I’d say in the top 5

Best rock guitarists maybe. I can name 50 off the top that blow away EVH overall. Still,was a genius level player with a versatile approach

RIP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Dews said:

Best rock guitarists maybe. I can name 50 off the top that blow away EVH overall. Still,was a genius level player with a versatile approach

RIP

He was pretty groundbreaking.  Dedicated. 

A friend of mine is a professional bass player who played on Bowie’s last album and has toured with some big names etc. he got to hang out with Eddie once and even he was starstruck. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A friend of mine is a professional bass player who played on Bowie’s last album and has toured with some big names etc. he got to hang out with Eddie once and even he was starstruck. 

Your friend is a bass God. I like his playing on Blackstar and I've heard a lot of him otherwise.

4 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

Your friend is a bass God. I like his playing on Blackstar and I've heard a lot of him otherwise.

Pretty much.  I’m on two albums with him from back in high school. Lol.  High school jazz band and wind ensemble.   Not quite the same.  He has done well 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Pretty much.  I’m on two albums with him from back in high school. Lol.  High school jazz band and wind ensemble.   Not quite the same.  He has done well 

That's pretty cool.

15 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

His name doesn't ring any bells to me.  Wonder if my sister knows him.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

His name doesn't ring any bells to me.  Wonder if my sister knows him.

Tim Lefebvre  Your sister would know him, or at least knew him back then   Same grad class   Wicked nice guy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm late to the Eddie posts.  But oft-overlooked in Eddie's masterpieces is this classic. 

He wrote that in 20 minutes and did it for free.

Same with the part from Back to the Future

• Like 2

Not sure how well known this is ... but, "Prince" was just a fantastic guitar player - if not virtuoso actually.  

He did a solo in the song, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" during .... 2004's  Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame' induction ceremony show that was mesmerizing. 

Fact of the matter is, there's probably a ceiling where a lot of these talents of the craft reach ...where beyond it really isn't very relevant because that realm is perhaps beyond the detection/perception of the common human ear and experience.  We are not worthy to sit with that particular panel of judges. 

Hendrix was done right lewd ... .and, it's risky to cross-up genres anyway, because the comparisons cannot really be resolved - it's like asking what's a prettier color: red or blue.

But Chuck Berry?  ...he ripped solos so hot the Devil ducked out the backdoor... he was ludicrous as a Rocka-Billy tactiction..  And there's a whole pantheon of Blues gifts from god that walked amongst us disguised as mere mortals ...who when they played, heaven wept.   

I dunno... there's no EVH is better than "X" or "Z" at a certain point  ....it's just honoring something extraordinary for having blessed our company ...all too brief was their stay, and made the world that much more bearable for their harmony.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There is not 2 minutes of instrumental in rock history better than this. You just crank this in the vehicle and it’s magical. Eddie and Alex rip it up.

Love this....

• Thanks 1

Pleasure Dome, the original instrumental version was their best. Still good after they added lyrics for the album

Stupid mistake on my part. Just received our new portable inverter 3750w generator (Wen) and determined it will not power our 230V well pump.:facepalm:Didn't check full specs and thought it would be work.

51 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Stupid mistake on my part. Just received our new portable inverter 3750w generator (Wen) and determined it will not power our 230V well pump.:facepalm:Didn't check full specs and thought it would be work.

Harbor Freight has a 4000 watt 240 volt generator for $359.

I have the Harbor Freight 2000 watt inverter that is literally identical to the Wen version. Its been great and I have got like 16 hours of runtime on a light load off 1 gallon of gas. Inverters are awesome as they electronicly adjust the throttle to the load. Big gas generators run at a fixed 3600 rpms and guzzle gas. 

I use the inverter 90 percent of the time during an outage and fire up my 6500 watt just to run the water heater and for cooking. My house is all electric/solar. The inverter can run my fridge, chargers, light's and even a window ac. 

• Like 1

I hope Phineas is wrong about the winter dystopia about to descend.   I fear he is right though.   We’re in for some sorry times for a spell.   

A cold and snowy winter would certainly keep this group upbeat!

• Sad 1

I remember musing the numerology of 2015, SNE's     ...   300% above normal snow that season   ... and getting no even acknowledgement - gee wonder why lol..

... if it snowed      0%     for three consecutive years, we would be perfectly average.  

Now, since it has snowed substantially more that 0% since that 300% season, .. purely from a 'just deserts' perspective, we probably have to go another 13 years of 50% ( smeared out in between warm ups in sloped sun over dead Earth) where the 50% is only there because of snow squalls at 2 am ....  to finally get to our 20 years average and all is good and every has been delivered just they way the wanted it... muah hahaha

By the time the numbers work out ... the cadre of conspiracy to correct the population down to a select few will have perfected upon their failed SAR-CoV-2 weaponization ... So in effect, 2015 was the last winter - and we didn't even know it while it was happening. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I remember musing the numerology of 2015, SNE's     ...   300% above normal snow that season   ... and getting no even acknowledgement - gee wonder why lol..

... if it snowed      0%     for three consecutive years, we would be perfectly average.  

Now, since it has snowed substantially more that 0% since that 300% season, .. purely from a 'just deserts' perspective, we probably have to go another 13 years of 50% ( smeared out in between warm ups in sloped sun over dead Earth) where the 50% is only there because of snow squalls at 2 am ....  to finally get to our 20 years average and all is good and every has been delivered just they way the wanted it... muah hahaha

By the time the numbers work out ... the cadre of conspiracy to correct the population down to a select few will have perfected upon their failed SAR-CoV-2 weaponization ... So in effect, 2015 was the last winter - and we didn't even know it while it was happening. 

Well '17-'18 was pretty damned good. (96" at ORH and 60" at BOS)...and actually 2016-2017 was above avg too, just less so than 2017-2018. I think BOS was 50ish and ORH 80ish.

No doubt the last two winters have sucked though for SNE...as well as the one immediately following '14-'15.

300% AN?  4 times the average?  Wouldn't that be near 170" for BOS?  14-15 was super for the eastern half of SNE, but that super?   (Just idle curiosity, which has gotten me in trouble before.)

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well '17-'18 was pretty damned good. (96" at ORH and 60" at BOS)...and actually 2016-2017 was above avg too, just less so than 2017-2018. I think BOS was 50ish and ORH 80ish.

No doubt the last two winters have sucked though for SNE...as well as the one immediately following '14-'15.

Right ...so we're actually still owing - lol... 

Nah.. in actuality, since the climate is changing and that is showing up with increased PWAT and totaling everywhere in the world with huge growing sample set of data points over 30 years now ( so don't give me that shit... no you the general reader ), ... the instability in the climate sort of makes any kind of statistical argument for "balancing" bullshit.  Balancing what then - ? For all we know...we are heading into a 300" per year winter tendency and that was the first one...  you get 4 off.... now we'll get two in a row...then we'll get 3 off... and then 3 in row... then we'll get 10 in row, and then they are all rain 2060 ... 

Or something else altogether. Point is, climate changing means ... you can't use past climate - ...it's a matter of how fast the change is occurring to determine how obsolete the data really is... 

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

300% AN?  4 times the average?  Wouldn't that be near 170" for BOS?  14-15 was super for the eastern half of SNE, but that super?   (Just idle curiosity, which has gotten me in trouble before.)

Factoring in the hyperbolic jest might slow the train down enough for you to hop on board.

LOL ...

Yeah, no I don't know - Will or someone would..  I think Logan 110" ...? which is probably 200% ..spit ballin' ..I don't really have that area of Meteorology on my mental sleeve. haha