Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

States could give homeowners a break by slashing our property taxes while making up the ground with legalized drugs, sports betting, and  prostitution. More tax revenue and a lower prison population. Basically, don’t tax the family man trying to live the American dream...tax the ‘activities’ instead. 

How would a State cut property taxes?  Property taxes are assesses at the local(City/Town) level, not State.

41 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

How would a State cut property taxes?  Property taxes are assesses at the local(City/Town) level, not State.

Yea True but they do follow/correlate to the state. It’s not like in CT there is town that has a super low mill rate but if the towns get some state funding from new revenue, they could? The point is, in general, tax the extra curricular activities more (especially those that are currently illegal) and lessen the tax burden on essential needs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

States could give homeowners a break by slashing our property taxes while making up the ground with legalized drugs, sports betting, and  prostitution. More tax revenue and a lower prison population. Basically, don’t tax the family man trying to live the American dream...tax the ‘activities’ instead. 

Yeah... I agree in most respects. Sitting on obvious revenue because you can’t get your act together to pass something is just very silly, especially in a time with massive budget shortfalls 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm no religious person...but that would be a tougher sell. I'm not into that, so tax away I guess..lol. 

Under strict gov/state/city control to protect the providers, maybe. Privacy issues, medical/maintenance issues and one hell of an interesting civil service entry exam. Probably not likely to happen. As always ....

On 10/18/2020 at 8:13 AM, mahk_webstah said:

Any weenies looking for a house up here in  Boscawen NH? We bought the house next door and it’s 2.5 acres.  It abuts our 162 acres and is 2nd oldest house in town.  Small quaint historical with beautiful landscaping and fantastic views.  Nice walking trails just off the property.   1 hr 15 minutes north of Boston and less than an hour to white mountains.  If you know anyone looking for a country house get them to us before we list with realtor this week.  IM me and I can send pics.  290k.  If you know anyone interested get to me quickly as we will list with a realtor this week.

Acreage hoarder!

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea True but they do follow/correlate to the state. It’s not like in CT there is town that has a super low mill rate but if the towns get some state funding from new revenue, they could? The point is, in general, tax the extra curricular activities more (especially those that are currently illegal) and lessen the tax burden on essential needs. 

The problem with CT is that gov't is slow to change ANYTHING despite obvious benefits/convenience.    I remember a few years ago how Sunday liquor sales would lead to more drunks on the road, Keno Lottery coming to town was going to lead to more gambling addicts etc.  We don't have early voting like other states and they are behind other states on making weed legal....

Property taxes are out of control here as are most taxes-until Covid came along many were fleeing the state due to the high cost of living...

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

The problem with CT is that gov't is slow to change ANYTHING.    I remember a few years ago how Sunday liquor sales would lead to more drunks on the road, Keno Lottery coming to town was going to lead to more gambling addicts etc.  We don't have early voting like other states and they are behind other states on making weed legal....

Yup. ‘Legalizing marijuana is going to cause my son to smoke crack’ is basically the opposition argument now. I mean, holy moly small minded thinking. 

Let’s move into the future by thinking bigger and being bolder. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yup. ‘Legalizing marijuana is going to cause my son to smoke crack’ is basically the opposition argument now. I mean, holy moly small minded thinking. 

Let’s move into the future by thinking bigger and being bolder. 

Alcohol is so much worse than cannabis, yet so easy to get. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol. What?

The vast majority of domestic abuse cases involving spouses or their kids has something in common... heavy alcohol use by someone.

My grandfather was a bad alcoholic to the point where you find vodka bottles hidden in closets...made my mom’s life hell and her mothers the same.  I have no doubt if he just smoked a joint on the porch at night instead of a fifth of vodka the experience would’ve been different.

Drunks like to destroy stuff, fight, get angry... stoners like to sign up for a Netflix subscription.  No one goes outside to smoke a bowl and came back in to beat their kids or wives.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The vast majority of domestic abuse cases involving spouses or their kids has something in common... heavy alcohol use by someone.

My grandfather was a bad alcoholic to the point where you find vodka bottles hidden in closets...made my mom’s life hell and her mothers the same.  I have no doubt if he just smoked a joint on the porch at night instead of a fifth of vodka the experience would’ve been different.

Drunks like to destroy stuff, fight, get angry... stoners like to sign up for a Netflix subscription.  No one goes outside to smoke a bowl and came back in to beat their kids or wives.

So true, so many many real deep societal ills resulting from alcohol misuse. Weed is not free from ills but certainly many many stages below alcohol.  Ct is just stupid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

From a health standpoint it is. I like my beer and cocktails, but it’s the worst thing from a health standpoint. We cut back.

I haven't had a beer since summer. Just lost the taste for alcohol,  don't know why but it is  just is easier to pop a gummy and chill with the same buzz.

• Like 2

Look how many people are killed from drunk drivers everyday. The total numbers when you factor in the deaths from alcohols health issues, violence, accidents, etc must be huge. 

More than a quarter (25%) of all traffic-related deaths are the direct result of alcohol impairment (NHTSA).

29 people die each day in automobile accidents that involve a drunk driver (CDC).

Around 800 people per day are injured in a drunk driving crash and 30 people die (NHTSA). 

One of Portland's ballot questions is related to our dispensaries. I guess law is 250' between dispensaries, but the referendum would change it to 100'.  My thought was I'm pretty sure I can buy a four pack of craft beer every 100' on Commercial Street so why not edibles? If 100' is too close to be viable, one of the businesses will not make it. 

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

So true, so many many real deep societal ills resulting from alcohol misuse. Weed is not free from ills but certainly many many stages below alcohol.  Ct is just stupid.

That's probably true but I don't think we can quantify the difference unless/until recreational marijuana is legal in most/all states.  I voted against rec-pot in the Maine referendum, and having seen the tragic results of alcoholism up close I wish rec-alcohol were not a thing, but that ship sailed long since.  So, apparently, has marijuana's watercraft.  One positive thing I'd say about legalization concerns its reputation as a "gateway drug".  If that was ever true, IMO it was because the pot suppliers were the same people who sold heroin, crack, and other things with a greater profit margin.  Getting those dudes out of the process will close that gate (if it was ever open.)