• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    MDweatherman
    Newest Member
    MDweatherman

Fall Banter and General Discussion

Just now, powderfreak said:

Sister, brother in law and their two kids are positive with COVID 19.  The kids just have runny noses, my sister has a bad head cold and no sense of taste... coffee tastes like water.  That’s why they got tested.

Test results in New York took her 6 days to get a result, beating my 5 days in VT to get a result.  They’ve not left their house since last weekend and have another week to go at least.

Any idea how and where they were exposed? 

6 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Any idea how and where they were exposed? 

No but she’s a nurse, they seem to assume it was from the hospital.  Who knows, could be the kids from preschool and childcare? 

20 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

There’s enough Purell down here at Disney to float a ship. God knows how many stations thee are. They must have a tanker full somewhere. 

Is the clean crew still happening?  Or whatever it is called.  

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Sister, brother in law and their two kids are positive with COVID 19.  The kids just have runny noses, my sister has a bad head cold and no sense of taste... coffee tastes like water.  That’s why they got tested.

Test results in New York took her 6 days to get a result, beating my 5 days in VT to get a result.  They’ve not left their house since last weekend and have another week to go at least.

Now both of my sisters have had it.  Both work in healthcare so not surprising.

It’s everywhere. I’m wondering if the Franklin Co.  numbers are so low because we’re isolated or because last January and February half the county, including my family,  had the “weird cough”.  
Honestly , I’m going to see if I can go get an antibody test. 

13 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s everywhere. I’m wondering if the Franklin Co.  numbers are so low because we’re isolated or because last January and February half the county, including my family,  had the “weird cough”.  

Quest Diagnostics does them for I think 119$ with no doctor referral. They are everywhere and you can make the appointment online. Its definitely worth the piece of mind even if you have to pay out of pocket. I know a bunch of people that did it and were positive and had the same weird cough or symptoms earlier this year. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Now both of my sisters have had it.  Both work in healthcare so not surprising.

Hope they all have a full and speedy recovery.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

yep... almost everyone I know had it in that timeframe.  Not me, which I attributed at the time to a similar weird cough I had in the fall.  Coincidence I guess.

Regardless though, I would think antibodies might be gone by now, though there could be some residual T cell immunity.

• Like 2

Just now, radarman said:

yep... almost everyone I know had it in that timeframe.  Not me, which I attributed at the time to a similar weird cough I had in the fall.  Coincidence I guess.

Same with my wife. All the symptoms. Me and the 2 kids got nothing. But we sanitized everything.

2 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Is there a work exemption for RI and now NH? I’m assuming there is. One of my guys lives in New Hampshire. 

• Persons Commuting for Work or School: People who regularly commute, at least weekly, outside of Massachusetts to a fixed place to attend school or work or any person who regularly commutes, at least weekly into Massachusetts to a fixed place to attend school or work; provided that in either case, this exception applies only to and from the person’s residence and place of work or school.  Workers or students who travel to any place that is not their home state for personal or leisure reasons cannot rely on this exemption

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:
  • Persons Commuting for Work or School: People who regularly commute, at least weekly, outside of Massachusetts to a fixed place to attend school or work or any person who regularly commutes, at least weekly into Massachusetts to a fixed place to attend school or work; provided that in either case, this exception applies only to and from the person’s residence and place of work or school.  Workers or students who travel to any place that is not their home state for personal or leisure reasons cannot rely on this exemption

I thought that was the case, but you never know anymore.

These state by state quarantines are getting a little silly at this point. 

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I thought that was the case, but you never know anymore.

These state by state quarantines are getting a little silly at this point. 

We have a camp in NH....so I can't visit? Yeah.....ok. 

Loss of taste and smell seems like the most common symptom for the typical low-grade infections most people get. Followed by fatigue. Every single person I know who has COVID has the loss of taste and smell symptom first. I assume there is some other viral mechanism at work causing this because it isn't always accompanied by the congestion and stuffy nose that can cause similar symptoms with a cold.

The people I have spoken to about this said they just realized suddenly they couldn't smell or taste anything even with a clear nose and chest.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Where in NH?

Ellsworth.  Basically we go up there....and fish, hike, split wood, and drink Dr. McGillicuddy's...that's basically it.  Rarely even hang out with the neighbors. 

5 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Ellsworth.  Basically we go up there....and fish, hike, split wood, and drink Dr. McGillicuddy's...that's basically it.  Rarely even hang out with the neighbors. 

Sounds pretty sweet. I doubt anyone will hassle you there. It's not like you are going to VT after all. LOL

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Loss of taste and smell seems like the most common symptom for the typical low-grade infections most people get. Followed by fatigue. Every single person I know who has COVID has the loss of taste and smell symptom first. I assume there is some other viral mechanism at work causing this because it isn't always accompanied by the congestion and stuffy nose that can cause similar symptoms with a cold.

The people I have spoken to about this said they just realized suddenly they couldn't smell or taste anything even with a clear nose and chest.

From what I've read it's the support cells (not the ones actually responsible for smell) that are susceptible to COVID infection. Inflammation of these cells leads to the loss of smell. Also interesting is that it appears to be the most common and first reported symptom in the majority of cases, so probably a better screener than fever or cough. 

• Like 1

Ya never know.  A perfectly healthy thin person I know got Covid-19 and was so sick she ended up in the ICU.  She said good bye to her 10 year old son.  Thankfully she survived.   But she’s a long hauler-one of those people who’s body just doesn’t recover well even though they are negative.  Most have an easier course but it’s still unpredictable.  I was at the market today and became acutely aware how under rated supermarket personnel are as front line poorly paid workers taking on a lot more risk than most every day... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Ya never know.  A perfectly healthy thin person I know got Covid-19 and was so sick she ended up in the ICU.  She said good bye to her 10 year old son.  Thankfully she survived.   But she’s a long hauler-one of those people who’s body just doesn’t recover well even though they are negative.  Most have an easier course but it’s still unpredictable.  I was at the market today and became acutely aware how under rated supermarket personnel are as front line poorly paid workers taking on a lot more risk than most every day... 

Thank you for acknowledging the retail workers. All the talk about nurses, doctors, and teachers but no one ever considers the retail workers who have been on the job non-stop for months and exposed to thousands of people. They can’t telework like many teachers are doing now. Yet I never hear any of them complain or demand shutdowns...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

From what I've read it's the support cells (not the ones actually responsible for smell) that are susceptible to COVID infection. Inflammation of these cells leads to the loss of smell. Also interesting is that it appears to be the most common and first reported symptom in the majority of cases, so probably a better screener than fever or cough. 

My first symptom was a sore throat. The next day I had chills and was sweating.   That night I started sneezing a lot which isn't common.  The 3rd day I had a low grade fever.  By day 4 my fever was gone and I felt like I had a nasty cold; headache, congestion, wet cough (not dry) and started getting fatigued quickly.  Day 5, I was finally able to get a covid swab (this was in March when it wasn't easy to get a test even as a healthcare worker) and I completely lost my sense of smell and taste.   On day 6 I could barely get out of bed and became short of breath with any activity.  Day 7 my test came back positive.  The same symptoms continued and on day 9 I started feeling a squeezing in my chest and my o2 saturation was around "90%".  I clearly had pneumonia.   Day 10,  I started getting very sharp pains in my chest where my heart is located. This symptom was constant for 3 more weeks and still hasn't completely gone away.  I was fatigued for 40+ days.   This virus is scary af and I didn't even have a severe case.  

**Oh and my sense of smell and taste came back after 6 weeks.   

**I started feeling better between days 20-22  but wasn't close to 100% (besides the chest pain I still feel sometimes) for 2 months.

• Thanks 14

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

My first symptom saw a sore throat. The next day I had chills and was sweating.   That night I started sneezing a lot which isn't common.  The 3rd day I had a low grade fever.  By day 4 my fever was gone and I felt like I had a nasty cold; headache, congestion, wet cough (not dry) and started getting fatigued quickly.  Day 5, I was finally able to get a covid swab (this was in March when it wasn't easy to get a test even as a healthcare worker) and I completely lost my sense of smell and taste.   On day 6 I could barely get out of bed and became short of breath with any activity.  Day 7 my test came back positive.  The same symptoms continued and on day 9 I started feeling a squeezing in my chest and my o2 saturation was around "90%".  I clearly had pneumonia.   Day 10,  I started getting very sharp pains in my chest where my heart is located. This symptom was constant for 3 more weeks and still hasn't completely gone away.  I was fatigued for 40+ days.   This virus is scary af and I didn't even have a severe case.  

**I started feeling better between days 20-22  but wasn't close to 100% (besides the chest pain I still feel sometimes) for 2 months.

Dude that must be scary AF being short of breath. Its basically slowly drowning. Must be awful

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Thank you for acknowledging the retail workers. All the talk about nurses, doctors, and teachers but no one ever considers the retail workers who have been on the job non-stop for months and exposed to thousands of people. They can’t telework like many teachers are doing now. Yet I never hear any of them complain or demand shutdowns...

My son was a retail worker from March-September (seasonal). He never complained about the virus itself or wearing a mask despite being outdoors doing lifting, etc. he mostly complained about the assholes who would get in his face about masks etc. 

I have had grocery store workers complain a little to me but again mostly about the customers who treated them poorly. 

Our son’s GF is a CNA and has been working on floors with Covid.  She has not complained about the virus but about PPE etc early on. 

• Like 1

@dendrite I am involved with the land trust here and we just got approval to start planting the blight resistant American Chestnut. A couple hundred saplings are going in this spring. 

To restore this beloved tree, we will need every tool available. It’s taken 26 years of research involving a team of more than 100 university scientists and students here at the not-for-profit American Chestnut Research and Restoration Project, but we’ve finally developed a nonpatented, blight-resistant American chestnut tree.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, BrianW said:

@dendrite I am involved with the land trust here and we just got approval to start planting the blight resistant American Chestnut. A couple hundred saplings are going in this spring. 

To restore this beloved tree, we will need every tool available. It’s taken 26 years of research involving a team of more than 100 university scientists and students here at the not-for-profit American Chestnut Research and Restoration Project, but we’ve finally developed a nonpatented, blight-resistant American chestnut tree.

That’s pretty awesome. My grandparents had a full nut-producing American Chestnut tree in their backyard in the 1980s and into the early 1990s. We noticed the trunk started cracking in about 1993 or 1994 and by 1995 it was clearly going to kill the tree so they cut it down. 

I didn’t realize until years later how relatively rare it was to still have a fully mature healthy tree like that as late as the early 1990s. But it made sense in retrospect because they lived out in the sticks and had a huge yard....and the tree was toward the middle of the yard away from any other trees. The isolation probably kept it alive for so long. 

I knew someone who had one that was healthy even a lot more recently than that but it eventually succumbed around 8-10 years ago. 

8 hours ago, Rjay said:

My first symptom was a sore throat. The next day I had chills and was sweating.   That night I started sneezing a lot which isn't common.  The 3rd day I had a low grade fever.  By day 4 my fever was gone and I felt like I had a nasty cold; headache, congestion, wet cough (not dry) and started getting fatigued quickly.  Day 5, I was finally able to get a covid swab (this was in March when it wasn't easy to get a test even as a healthcare worker) and I completely lost my sense of smell and taste.   On day 6 I could barely get out of bed and became short of breath with any activity.  Day 7 my test came back positive.  The same symptoms continued and on day 9 I started feeling a squeezing in my chest and my o2 saturation was around "90%".  I clearly had pneumonia.   Day 10,  I started getting very sharp pains in my chest where my heart is located. This symptom was constant for 3 more weeks and still hasn't completely gone away.  I was fatigued for 40+ days.   This virus is scary af and I didn't even have a severe case.  

This sounds like a pretty severe case to me. Most infections are much milder than this. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

This sounds like a pretty severe case to me. Most infections are much milder than this. 

Considering all the death I've seen and having coworkers vented, it was a moderate case.