Total Members
    Most Online
    Weatherlvr
    Newest Member
    Weatherlvr

September 2020 Discussion

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m a cheap bastard

I don’t think I’ve once had the heat on in September. I also want my burner checked before I use it.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t think I’ve once had the heat on in September. I also want my burner checked before I use it.

We use our oil furnace for our hot water so it runs all year.  Just much less in the summer. 
I do need to get mine cleaned though

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Funny you mention that Scott, I decided this afternoon to test the old heating system , it worked (only two zones for the house) smell of dust and stuff on the baseboards etc. Then shutdown, told the wife layer up, not going on in September....

12 minutes ago, 512high said:

Funny you mention that Scott, I decided this afternoon to test the old heating system , it worked (only two zones for the house) smell of dust and stuff on the baseboards etc. Then shutdown, told the wife layer up, not going on in September....

I had never really thought of it until you guys mentioned it here, but that’s the slight burning smell I get when I fire it up in the fall.  I always worried something was wrong lol.

I bumped my set point up to 62F for my wife, we might get it tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

My burner actually went on this am. Thermostat still set at summer levels, row house, inner NYC, UHI and a warm ocean as my next door neighbor. How embarrassing is that? As always ....

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I was up wandering around today with the dog in the higher elevation rain forest.  Even without much rain in 3 weeks it still seemed as lush as ever.  Stein has trouble surviving up here.

I guess averaging 80" of precipitation a year will cause the thick moss blanket found up high.  Like walking on a carpet.

screenshot.jpg.5b4b87e22352fe2cb944a4a4321549c3.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, powderfreak said:

I was up wandering around today with the dog in the higher elevation rain forest.  Even without much rain in 3 weeks it still seemed as lush as ever. 

I guess averaging 80" of precipitation a year will cause the thick moss blanket found up high.

I had to dig a hole out in the woods today for one of the birds and under the decomposed leaf/wood litter it's still moist. The forest floor has an ability to withstand these occasional dry years. It's always lush and green out there...no fertilizer or water required.

Man made lawns are another story...

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was up wandering around today with the dog in the higher elevation rain forest.  Even without much rain in 3 weeks it still seemed as lush as ever.  Stein has trouble surviving up here.

I guess averaging 80" of precipitation a year will cause the thick moss blanket found up high.  Like walking on a carpet.

Some snow over those stumps and that is a heck of a zipper turn line.

54 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We use our oil furnace for our hot water so it runs all year.  Just much less in the summer. 
I do need to get mine cleaned though

Oh ours runs hot water too. 

3 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Some snow over those stumps and that is a heck of a zipper turn line.

Yup, that's what I was checking out.  There are some cut lines in there, narrow ski width shots that seem to drop straight down.  It's steep in there, fun to wander around in.  The snow depth gets to like 8-10 feet in there during the solid winters.

OWD 40F and TAN 39F already. 

CON/ASH haven’t decoupled yet and still hanging near 50F.