Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, my heat kicked on this morning.  I can't imagine having window units in especially this weekend.  Definitely a different climo.

Saturday and Sunday morning are going to be real cold with great high pressure set-up both nights after the CAA comes in earlier on Friday than it looked yesterday.

Damn.  Comfy 68F in our house,  Had the fan going too.  

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, my heat kicked on this morning.  I can't imagine having window units in especially this weekend.  Definitely a different climo.

Saturday and Sunday morning are going to be real cold with great high pressure set-up both nights after the CAA comes in earlier on Friday than it looked yesterday.

My house is always warm though. Even if I got to freezing it might be like 66 in here. 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

My house is always warm though. Even if I got to freezing it might be like 66 in here. 

We need our new windows.  But yesterday's windy mid-50s all day didn't help and I'm the idiot who left the windows open yesterday during the day before going to work.  Sucking in 50s all day then a freezing night.  It was 63F yesterday when I got home and heat came on at 60F this morning.

2 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Was that a new record low? I know 40's are pretty rare in Boston this time of year.

39.3/31 low for me (Thornton) this AM.

No. The record is 41, which was set way back in 1913. Ironically, Mobile, AL received its record rainfall for September 15th in 1913 and that record could fall today on account of Sally.

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We need our new windows.  But yesterday's windy mid-50s all day didn't help and I'm the idiot who left the windows open yesterday during the day before going to work.  Sucking in 50s all day then a freezing night.  It was 63F yesterday when I got home and heat came on at 60F this morning.

That will do it lol.  I shut mine last night when it dropped to below 60 with 25-30mph winds lol.

56 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Still not a true Vermonter.  My heat is completely turned off still.  No heat on until skim ice forms on puddles! I did make a concession and close the windows.  Last night was such a comfortable sleeping night I slept straight through until 7:40.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Nice!  I've got mine coming finally in two weeks.  We've been on wait list since like May, lol.  There was a production backlog so I don't think he got them delivered until later in August.  I can't wait... mine are currently from like the 1970s.  I think it'll keep my place a good 5F warmer.

Wow, You had to wait that long? I went with Harvey Windows, Which are rated the best vinyl windows and i would highly recommend them,  It was 3 weeks for the build, I had certainteed vinyl replacements from back in the 70's as well, Just about the time they had just came out, Not very efficient as they were drafty as heck in the winter, My bedroom was always cold and one windy night while at my computer i noticed the curtains moving and there was an 1/8" gap in the window and the cold air was just rushing in, Also went with a new cold fired boiler as well and have already realized a big savings on that in just 5 mos, The windows will absorb the sun in the winter and reflect it in the summer so i should realize added savings as well, My house was built in the 40's so we have been making steady improvements over the years but a big push this year with Boiler, Windows, Roof and Flooring.

https://www.harveybp.com/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

Still not a true Vermonter.  My heat is completely turned off still.  No heat on until skim ice forms on puddles! I did make a concession and close the windows.  Last night was such a comfortable sleeping night I slept straight through until 7:40.

I’ve actually been meaning to ask PF about that when I see some of the comments about the heat coming on.  I always thought it was most practical to turn it off for the summer, then you don’t have to worry about it turning on inadvertently during cool nights or these shoulder seasons when temperatures are marginal and it’s not really needed.  It just seems like unnecessary wear and tear and energy use for a couple of degrees here and there, but maybe some setups have to be kept on?  I know some systems are full climate control for heating/cooling, but even for a system like that I’d still have it off and regulate by windows whenever possible (which up here is essentially everything except cold season).

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

31-32 this morning - had to scrape the windshield a bit at 7:15.  Frost-free season 106 days, 8 BN mostly due to the June 1 freeze.  Have not checked out the garden.  Covered the peppers but not the cucurbits - too much area.  They may be toast while the tomatoes and peppers may not survive the weekend.

The weekend may be an issue here, Temp has not got down low enough for a frost/freeze yet, I only have peppers and tomatoes left so i may just pick the remainder before the weekend.