Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr

Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

1 minute ago, ny10019 said:

Are winds expected again in NYC? At Central Park now and zero wind 

Worst of the winds seem to be over

The severe weather today mostly skipped past NENJ and SENY.  Still lots of TOR reports throughout the northeast and presumably even more unreported.

6 minutes ago, ny10019 said:

Are winds expected again in NYC? At Central Park now and zero wind 

If there's a legit sting jet on the back side

• Like 2

westchester county luckily survived from major damage, call me a weenie if you want but was a dud here, obviously not for others in our forum.  stay safe everyone.

Huge tree down in my yard in Ossining. Another large limb clipped the side of the house. Seems like the wind is beginning to ease up now after a couple of crazy hours. Power out since 2:00pm.

17 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Wow.   Trees down everywhere here. 

You can clearly see on the outage map Merrick got hit exceptionally hard for some reason

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Wind should pick back up again-maybe 40-50mph from the west when the storm passes. So far miraculously I have power. 

You just jinxed yourself 

5 minutes ago, Snowlover11 said:

westchester county luckily survived from major damage, call me a weenie if you want but was a dud here, obviously not for others in our forum.  stay safe everyone.

Yes wasn’t too bad winds gusts to mid 50s as expected, didn’t lose power but many did.  The Tornado threat never came to pass as the line weakened north of LBI

• Like 1

1 minute ago, qg_omega said:

Yes wasn’t too bad winds gusts to mid 50s as expected, didn’t lose power but many did.  The Tornado threat never came to pass as the line weakened north of LBI

It didn't really weaken, just went further East towards Suffolk.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

It didn't really weaken, just went further East towards Suffolk.

No it clearly broke apart which was actually modeled very well

• Like 1

Nasty reports from my parents in Islip Terrace, NY.

Large limbs on their roof. Uprooted tree took down power lines out front of their house. Out here in PA. 6-7 inches of rain in 6 hours with major flooding to basements/water rescues.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

A couple quick shots from my campus. It’s going to be a long week

44E8F36E-D4FF-4B27-B13A-0A2C1D239049.jpeg

FBF55651-E1AC-4BED-92F9-728C69DA45E3.jpeg

The London Plane Trees outside my window are being ripped to shreds, several branches down and a ton of foliage gone. Pines holding up much better, southern trees doing better too.

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

96000 customers approximately out on LI per PSEG. 

Definitely lower than I would have expected.  I still think restoration will take a few days due to downed trees though

Pretty extensive tree damage here. Winds have been calm for better part of an hour now.

• Like 1

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

Definitely lower than I would have expected.  I still think restoration will take a few days due to downed trees though

After the big Huntington to Hauppauge T-storm last summer PSEG came and cleared branches from near power lines in my neighborhood (I lost power for 3 days from that), and maybe the effect of old/weak trees being cleared from prior storms helped. Not out of the woods yet though. From what I hear there’s plenty of trees down in my area. Haven’t been out to check yet. 

The change of wind direction exposes new areas and stresses vulnerable trees and branches at different pressure points.  NW winds started abruptly here.  So far gusty conditions similar to a departing nor'easter, but the full foliage adds significant weight.

If this storm that had only about an hour of constant strong wind gusts did this kind of damage, imagine what a hurricane 3 would do to our region.

Other than the hurricane force gust at FRG and the LBI gust, what other hurricane force gusts have there been in this area? The winds definitely did verify if not the craziness the Euro/UKMET had.