Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, tamarack said:

Unfortunately, that "zero new cases" is actually "no increase in total cases."    21 "probable" cases (by apparent symptoms I guess) from a couple days ago have tested negative and were backed out of the total.

Its a numbers game.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

They have said that there has not been any uptick in out of state cases from tourist, Those would get reported back to the state they are from anyways but there not seeing any.

Everyone can be outside too... I've never seen the hiking trails this busy and same with mtn biking and water spots.  It's all good as that's what we should be doing.... getting outside recreation is healthy for numerous reasons.  NNE summer is outdoor recreation on water, mountains, beach, etc.  And the weather has cooperated.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Everyone can be outside too... I've never seen the hiking trails this busy and same with mtn biking and water spots.  It's all good as that's what we should be doing.... getting outside recreation is healthy for numerous reasons.  NNE summer is outdoor recreation on water, mountains, beach, etc.  And the weather has cooperated.

No doubt on all these fronts.

5 hours ago, klw said:

My favorite one is the person who moved here to get away from people from out of state.  Kettle meet pot.

In all seriousness, why do you check those pages?  It just seems depressing and angering.  Every now and then I would read the WCAX comments and quickly be reminded at how nasty the world can be.  They shut down the comment eventually and those folks moved to VT Digger who have now shut their comments.   It is brutal but is sometimes just the same ten names over and over.  Enjoy your summer and enjoy Killington and stay off Facebook.

Agreed.  Facebook especially has become a complete cesspool.  It is 100% argumentative and abrasive.  People used to share photos of their family and pets and fun stuff, now it is literally political 100% of the time and everyone is just shouting at each other.  If we judge society by Facebook then we should just blow up this whole civilization thing and start over. 

News and comments sections are just absolutely brutal across the board. 

I've gone mostly to Instagram for now as you can still just look at stuff that is appealing to you without reading all negative stuff.  It's so much more "up-lifting" to scroll through.  Your advice is correct, just stay off FB and enjoy the summer. 

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, no one else move to Randolph please!

Actually, I don't even need to do this as Coos County has not grown in population at all over the past decade, and probably dropped somewhat.

Yeah I think most of NNE has declined in the past decade.  I'm pretty sure Vermont has a slight downward trend in the past 10 years.  The number of older folks dying (NNE is known to have a relatively high average age) and others moving away are not out-pacing those moving in on a year over year basis.

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, no one else move to Randolph please!

Actually, I don't even need to do this as Coos County has not grown in population at all over the past decade, and probably dropped somewhat.

According to the census, Coos County's population peaked in 1940 and has declined every decade since 1980.

image.png.5e219a9154ba6575125ce4d594a621ec.png

54 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

According to the census, Coos County's population peaked in 1940 and has declined every decade since 1980.

I bet that’s similar to a lot of rural NNE areas though I would’ve guessed 50s/60s... when textile mills and manufacturing were big along with timber, mining/quarries, and other stuff like that.

Once that stuff closed up there was nothing.  You have to make your money elsewhere and bring it in like Phin.  But Phin probably wont be counted in any population count anyway up there.  That’s always talked about here in Stowe, the actual census population is like half of the actual number of folks here on any given weekend as the second home owners are counted in their primary state residence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Agreed.  Facebook especially has become a complete cesspool.  It is 100% argumentative and abrasive.  People used to share photos of their family and pets and fun stuff, now it is literally political 100% of the time and everyone is just shouting at each other.  If we judge society by Facebook then we should just blow up this whole civilization thing and start over. 

News and comments sections are just absolutely brutal across the board. 

I've gone mostly to Instagram for now as you can still just look at stuff that is appealing to you without reading all negative stuff.  It's so much more "up-lifting" to scroll through.  Your advice is correct, just stay off FB and enjoy the summer. 

I think FB shows mainly things in which particular users seem to take interest - more clicks, better ad revenue.  I rarely indulge in political wars on FB and my "home" there is only somewhat polluted by such junk.

NNE population:  When we lived in Aroostook, 1976-85, its pop was in the 110-120k range.  Last I looked (a week or 2 back while estimating COVID cases per 100k) it was about 86k.  I think nearly every Maine county but the "southern small 8" has lower numbers in recent decades.  Hancock (BHB and vicinity) is likely an exception and maybe Oxford, as that county extends far enough south to be a not-awful commute for some folks working in/near PWM.

FWIW the cape is now packed even during the week.  Traffic is tough on most major roads and house rentals are through the roof. I've had two rental agents call me about our place in Falmouth and we are nowhere near the water. Does make me concerned for future cases in that area. Boston will have it's trouble when the students get back.

Second consecutive day well over 1000 new deaths. New England remains a safe zone as the rest of the country is taking it on the chin. 

While the rest of the US is going in the wrong direction, you guys should be proud of the work you’ve done and the results you’ve accomplished in New England. Not easy to beat this thing back but stay vigilant. The wolf is at the door.

#NovaScotiaStrong
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Hazey said:

While the rest of the US is going in the wrong direction, you guys should be proud of the work you’ve done and the results you’ve accomplished in New England. Not easy to beat this thing back but stay vigilant. The wolf is at the door.

#NovaScotiaStrong

I just think people here are generally reasonable, mask when necessary, and play by the COVID rules. Great job by Canadians as well. 

51 minutes ago, Hazey said:

#NovaScotiaStrong

Hopefully the wolf is no match for New England intellect and vigilance!

“their walls are built of cannonballs, their motto is don’t tread on me”

I wish everything from New York City north could just join eastern Canada as a separate country. LOL

j/k of course but I am proud of how the tri-state region and NE has responded. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8611Blizz said:

FWIW the cape is now packed even during the week.  Traffic is tough on most major roads and house rentals are through the roof. I've had two rental agents call me about our place in Falmouth and we are nowhere near the water. Does make me concerned for future cases in that area. Boston will have it's trouble when the students get back.

Interesting.  That was not my experience at all in the mid to lower Cape.  We spent June 15-July 12th in Brewster.  We found it easy to make left hand turns. When we first got there it was all MA plates.  It seemed semi-busy the weekend of the 4th of July but then it died again. The big salt water parking at boat launches in Truro, Harwichport, Dennis, and Long Pond in Harwich all has easy parking.  We went to Race Point, Herring cove beach and Nauset beach in Orleans.  The national seashore beach lots were maybe 20% full.  Nauset beach was maybe 1/3rd full with easy social distancing.  We drove off the cape on Sunday July 12th at 2pm like it was an off season weekday.  Going back from July 29th-August 17.  Interesting to see if it’s changed since 10 days ago.

1 hour ago, 8611Blizz said:

Tourism here is way up in the past couple weeks.  In our townhome cluster, any unit without a full time resident has been rented out each week.  All restaurants seem packed to whatever capacity they can with every outdoor table filled each night.  Car traffic is getting worse on Mountain Road and trail heads for hiking are overrun.  I’m all for outdoor recreation all day long so I think it’s good to see all the interest in hiking/biking/swimming.  

I think summer tourism season is in full swing at this point.  August is town’s busiest month of the year so we are getting there.  

Interesting that so much tourism is happening in VT and parts of the Cape while infection rates stay low.  They say people in New England are “standoffish”.  Maybe we are just really good at social distancing.  Lol.  Seriously though, given the low infection rates despite the tourists, I don’t get all the bitching in certain places about how horrible out of staters are going to infect everyone.  If it was going to happen you would think it would have already.

11 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

Interesting that so much tourism is happening in VT and parts of the Cape while infection rates stay low.  They say people in New England are “standoffish”.  Maybe we are just really good at social distancing.  Lol.  Seriously though, given the low infection rates despite the tourists, I don’t get all the bitching in certain places about how horrible out of staters are going to infect everyone.  If it was going to happen you would think it would have already.

Everyone is outdoors playing and outdoor transmission rates are non-existent.  Hotels are still pretty light with occupancy per state guidelines but lots of camping, cabins and private vacation rentals are way up (families and people know they can sort of isolate themselves that way without staying in hotels).  You can travel and have very little interaction with others right now... stay in a cabin or condo, go hiking/swimming/biking by day, maybe get some take out food or cook and chill at home with the family.  

Most importantly though is likely the fact the Northeast as a whole has flattened the curve... there aren’t outbreaks where folks travel from or to, there’s just not much to spread right now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hazey said:

#NovaScotiaStrong

In my opinion I think it has a little to do with the makeup of the citizens and their adhering the guidelines. It seems once an area gets crushed it pretty much goes away . Not sure there is an area that got whacked in the initial days and is doing poorly now?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kdxken said:

In my opinion I think it has a little to do with the makeup of the citizens and their adhering the guidelines. It seems once an area gets crushed it pretty much goes away . Not sure there is an area that got whacked in the initial days and is doing poorly now?

Seems like Louisiana is headed that way. Though New Orleans was the initial focus and now it’s hitting the rest of the state. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skivt2 said:

Interesting.  That was not my experience at all in the mid to lower Cape.  We spent June 15-July 12th in Brewster.  We found it easy to make left hand turns. When we first got there it was all MA plates.  It seemed semi-busy the weekend of the 4th of July but then it died again. The big salt water parking at boat launches in Truro, Harwichport, Dennis, and Long Pond in Harwich all has easy parking.  We went to Race Point, Herring cove beach and Nauset beach in Orleans.  The national seashore beach lots were maybe 20% full.  Nauset beach was maybe 1/3rd full with easy social distancing.  We drove off the cape on Sunday July 12th at 2pm like it was an off season weekday.  Going back from July 29th-August 17.  Interesting to see if it’s changed since 10 days ago.

It's a big story in Boston now.  https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/17/business/its-boom-season-cape-rentals-because-covid-19-pandemic/