Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

8 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

I could see that with private house rentals but the house across the street from us is a rental and it’s been empty.  It looked to us via an unscientific survey driving that the hotels in eastham and wellfleet on 6 were completely empty.  But more importantly there was no traffic from Brewster north.  My 78 year old mom raved about how she drove from Brewster to the wellfleet Audubon in 18 minutes last week.  Normally she won’t even attempt that trip during tourist season.  So I don’t know.  

2 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

I could see that with private house rentals but the house across the street from us is a rental and it’s been empty.  It looked to us via an unscientific survey driving that the hotels in eastham and wellfleet on 6 were completely empty.  But more importantly there was no traffic from Brewster north.  My 78 year old mom raved about how she drove from Brewster to the wellfleet Audubon in 18 minutes last week.  Normally she won’t even attempt that trip during tourist season.  So I don’t know.  

My non scientific survey of traffic shows that the bridges are crowded on most days, even weekdays at the usual times and a month ago that really wasn't the case.  Many are probably day trippers but (unfortunately from my point of view) the restaurants in Falmouth have been very crowded particularly on the weekends.  I drive 151 a lot when I'm down there and that road is busy from North Falmouth to Mashpee on any day of the week.    

14 hours ago, kdxken said:

In my opinion I think it has a little to do with the makeup of the citizens and their adhering the guidelines. It seems once an area gets crushed it pretty much goes away . Not sure there is an area that got whacked in the initial days and is doing poorly now?

Its already run its course here. There is a lot of stuff coming out where they think a good majority of people are probably completely immune to it. They dont even build antibodies their immune system simply just eradicates it as soon as it enters.

I cant tell you how many people I have heard from who were in a multigenerational house/apartment with someone that had it and nobody else got it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrianW said:

Its already run its course here. There is a lot of stuff coming out where they think a good majority of people are probably completely immune to it. They dont even build antibodies their immune system simply just eradicates it as soon as it enters.

I cant tell you how many people I have heard from who were in a multigenerational house/apartment with someone that had it and nobody else got it. 

What? Please share some links of these stories.

40 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Not likely, but there is something going on that once it goes through it seems less likely to spread.

It’s possible that the infection rate was much higher than confirmed. Therefore, we sort of have a herd immunity. Question is how long does that semi-immunity last?  If it’s like 6 months, we’re in for some more trouble come the fall/winter. Total speculation on my part though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bostonseminole said:

What? Please share some links of these stories.

Read up on T Cells and immunity. They think 40-60 percent of the population may have complete immunity to it. 

A July 15 study published in Nature found that there are three separate groups that showed immunity to the coronavirus. The first consisted of COVID-19 patients who have T cells—a bunch of immune cells that can kill the virus and act as a line of defense against future pathogens. The next faction included people who had been infected with the SARS virus in 2003 and also had these same T cells.

But the final group was the most surprising to researchers: 37 study subjects had the T cells despite the fact that they were never exposed to or infected with either of the illnesses. This proves that we all may have some immunity to this strain of coronavirus built into our bodies.

"A level of pre-existing immunity against SARS-CoV2 appears to exist in the general population," Antonio Bertoletti, MD, a virologist at Duke NUS Medical School in Singapore told The New York Times.

• Like 1

Most bizarrely of all, when researchers tested blood samples taken years before the pandemic started, they found T cells which were specifically tailored to detect proteins on the surface of Covid-19. This suggests that some people already had a pre-existing degree of resistance against the virus before it ever infected a human. And it appears to be surprisingly prevalent: 40-60% of unexposed individuals had these cells.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200716-the-people-with-hidden-protection-from-covid-19

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BrianW said:

Read up on T Cells and immunity. They think 40-60 percent of the population may have complete immunity to it. 

A July 15 study published in Nature found that there are three separate groups that showed immunity to the coronavirus. The first consisted of COVID-19 patients who have T cells—a bunch of immune cells that can kill the virus and act as a line of defense against future pathogens. The next faction included people who had been infected with the SARS virus in 2003 and also had these same T cells.

But the final group was the most surprising to researchers: 37 study subjects had the T cells despite the fact that they were never exposed to or infected with either of the illnesses. This proves that we all may have some immunity to this strain of coronavirus built into our bodies.

"A level of pre-existing immunity against SARS-CoV2 appears to exist in the general population," Antonio Bertoletti, MD, a virologist at Duke NUS Medical School in Singapore told The New York Times.

These reports have been circulating on reddit and discussed previously here. 37 is way too small to make general conclusions about the population at large, but it's certainly interesting and deserves more investigation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

MA clamping down on 14-day quarantine starting Aug 1st.  $500 fine per day for violators.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/07/24/massachusetts-covid-travel-rules

That’s going to be interesting but need some penalties for travel if you are going to have a quarantine rule.  

Heres the Mass map.  If you come from a red state, 14-day quarantine or $500/day fine.  Even residents who travel and return home, automatic 14-day or get tested.  

74EE835D-CED5-40FF-99F2-8D638636E369.jpeg.cd2adc12c0385cb23121722593a504da.jpeg

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s going to be interesting but need some penalties for travel if you are going to have a quarantine rule.  

Heres the Mass map.  If you come from a red state, 14-day quarantine or $500/day fine.  Even residents who travel and return home, automatic 14-day or get tested.  

74EE835D-CED5-40FF-99F2-8D638636E369.jpeg.cd2adc12c0385cb23121722593a504da.jpeg

I got a co-worker leaving next week for WA to visit family.  His wife and 2 kids are already there.  Gonna look into getting a test out there before they come back.

On 7/20/2020 at 10:39 PM, powderfreak said:

Today's date back in 2013 was the best severe storm T-Storm I've ever seen locally. 

This was all around my place and within easy walking distance.  Whiteout wind speeds with rain.  The Mansfield summit was something like 60G80 in a very short period of time... only a 5-min ob, between light wind speeds. 

I bet we saw a solid 50-60mph... maybe a higher gust peak (?).... that does more damage to interior (non-coastal) full-foliage forests than most people think during the summer season.  It doesn't have to be 80-100mph.

Sorry for the pics, but strong storms are hard to come by.

969015_10101621033273190_551081219_n.jpg

74908_10101621033432870_631363328_n.jpg?

942706_10101621033557620_306283143_n.jpg

1013963_10101621033707320_477961491_n.jp

75514_10101621033368000_1468582791_n.jpg

1005191_10101621033667400_439122869_n.jp

And you crazies want a repeat of 1938 and double the winds.

On 7/21/2020 at 10:59 AM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone catch fred touchers meltdown on 98.5 this morning? Yikes 

Sad for him. But he is the reason I do not listen to 98.5 in the morning. Everyone else at the station is ok by me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I got a co-worker leaving next week for WA to visit family.  His wife and 2 kids are already there.  Gonna look into getting a test out there before they come back.

My wife's parents live in Nova Scotia.  Her Dad is having open heart surgery next week (had a heart attack a few days ago).  She can't travel there to stay with her mom or visit him in the hospital.  If the worst happened, we couldn't go to any services.   It sucks, but I don't blame them for not wanting anyone from the US to come.  

Just now, butterfish55 said:

My wife's parents live in Nova Scotia.  Her Dad is having open heart surgery next week (had a heart attack a few days ago).  She can't travel there to stay with her mom or visit him in the hospital.  If the worst happened, we couldn't go to any services.   It sucks, but I don't blame them for not wanting anyone from the US to come.  

Man, that sucks.  I'm sorry.