Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We did a beach day today in RI (Misquamicut)

We booker a space at The Andrea. Pricey, but $54 got us a prime parking spot, a great social distanced beach plot, and access to their bathrooms and restaurant   And best part, bar service to your spot. 

we booked again for two weeks from today.   I’m not a big beach person but this was great.  Holy hot though. 

Sounds nice, might give it a try. Do they have beach spots sectioned off so you get a specific area? 

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sounds nice, might give it a try. Do they have beach spots sectioned off so you get a specific area? 

Yes.  8’ x 10’ space with 6’ buffers on each side and front and back.  We were in the back row (4 rows) up against dunes.  I prefer that.  Some people never came do spots on each side of us were empty. 

They mark off spots with bungee cords sort of.  

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yes.  8’ x 10’ space with 6’ buffers on each side and front and back.  We were in the back row (4 rows) up against dunes.  I prefer that.  Some people never came do spots on each side of us were empty. 

They mark off spots with bungee cords sort of.  

That doesn’t sound bad at all, and they own that whole section of beach?

To me, having bathrooms, parking, and a not crowded beach is worth 50 bucks. What is it to get into RI beaches now anyway, 30?

How were the waves?

13 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That doesn’t sound bad at all, and they own that whole section of beach?

To me, having bathrooms, parking, and a not crowded beach is worth 50 bucks. What is it to get into RI beaches now anyway, 30?

How were the waves?

How about free? I like my mid week spot lol.  But yea for parking I think its 30 to 40. Heard the state beach was crowded Sunday despite the 25% parking limit.  Apparently a ton of people parked in Westerly Shopping plazas and took Uber in. Only 1 good body surfing day so far for me. That was a 5pm visit to an empty Weekapaug beach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this, but I don't factor senior centers and nursing homes much into the community spread.

No I don't either necessarily, just saying that one senior center hit in Vermont right now would really jack up the COVID rates in a state with such a low population.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We did a beach day today in RI (Misquamicut)

We booker a space at The Andrea. Pricey, but $54 got us a prime parking spot, a great social distanced beach plot, and access to their bathrooms and restaurant   And best part, bar service to your spot. 

we booked again for two weeks from today.   I’m not a big beach person but this was great.  Holy hot though. 

$54 for the entire day?  How many people does that allow you?

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

5    Pricey but it got us a very good parking spot and good bathrooms.    The booze was a bonus. Lol. 

also, after 2PM you can go for $27 if there are open spots.  

That doesn't seem too expensive.  Is it higher on weekends?

Edit:  I just checked it out online for myself.  That doesn't seem bad at all.  The food and drink prices seem reasonable as well.  Now if was only closer than 4.5 hours away.

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

can we just bring the thread back with heavy disclaimers :weep::weep:  so much great stuff to discuss...especially with clinical trial results and potential for vaccines. 

I train a woman in Lexington who is working on a Covid  vaccine . Interesting conversations on What they Are looking at (to me) and I was happy to see..she is even back in the gym working out . (Masked of course)

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 9:14 PM, powderfreak said:

Vermont has had only 2 COVID related deaths since May 15th.... and is the only state in the Nation with 0 deaths in the past 30 days.

The only two deaths in the past two months were on May 24th and June 15th.

But Facebook is still brutal with people saying they hate out of staters and how all the people from the horribly infected areas like CT and NY (?!) are littering, acting irresponsible, not wearing masks and trashing the place so the locals can’t enjoy it.  At this point the Killington region should just be ashamed of themselves. I hope the winter bankrupts a bunch of people up there when people don’t show up.  The Cape is certainly waaayy off as most people don’t want to do short term rentals/hotels.  It would serve them all right if the same thing happened at K this.  Just a few examples from yesterday. I could come up with literally 1000 similar screen shots from the killington pages.

AC6C207A-DE9F-4FD6-A73D-73F5797A31D5.png

EB746746-4A16-4AFE-AC99-26FE3B5C686B.jpeg

7A1D35FB-FF93-4387-94F6-9BEECE7F3669.png

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

5    Pricey but it got us a very good parking spot and good bathrooms.    The booze was a bonus. Lol. 

also, after 2PM you can go for $27 if there are open spots.  

My friend always goes there too, we passed through today and went to Matunuck Oyster Bar for lunch, awesome meal, Oysters, steamers and lobster. I highly recommend.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The food prices don’t look bad at all. Drink prices are a little high, but that’s not different than anywhere else.

I mean 6 bucks for a spiked Arnold Palmer is crazy. I buy a case of 12 for like 15 bucks. (Those are dangerous by the way, lol) they go down smooth 

We both had a couple of cocktails. Not expensive and pretty strong (mine were $9 each. Pretty typical)  I needed to stop after 2 and hydrate for a few hours. 
First time we ever had served drinks while sitting on the beach in New England (we have enjoyed that in other places)

We might never do it any other way. Lol. 

9 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

But Facebook is still brutal with people saying they hate out of staters and how all the people from the horribly infected areas like CT and NY (?!) are littering, acting irresponsible, not wearing masks and trashing the place so the locals can’t enjoy it.  At this point the Killington region should just be ashamed of themselves. I hope the winter bankrupts a bunch of people up there when people don’t show up.  The Cape is certainly waaayy off as most people don’t want to do short term rentals/hotels.  It would serve them all right if the same thing happened at K this.  Just a few examples from yesterday. I could come up with literally 1000 similar screen shots from the killington pages.

AC6C207A-DE9F-4FD6-A73D-73F5797A31D5.png

EB746746-4A16-4AFE-AC99-26FE3B5C686B.jpeg

7A1D35FB-FF93-4387-94F6-9BEECE7F3669.png

My favorite one is the person who moved here to get away from people from out of state.  Kettle meet pot.

In all seriousness, why do you check those pages?  It just seems depressing and angering.  Every now and then I would read the WCAX comments and quickly be reminded at how nasty the world can be.  They shut down the comment eventually and those folks moved to VT Digger who have now shut their comments.   It is brutal but is sometimes just the same ten names over and over.  Enjoy your summer and enjoy Killington and stay off Facebook.

36 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Another nighttime low >/= 70, and another night with short term guidance busting low. Starting to think I should regularly use an N+5 correction for this....

Glad we don’t live there. 63° this morning and 60s and rain now. 

6 minutes ago, klw said:

My favorite one is the person who moved here to get away from people from out of state.  Kettle meet pot.

In all seriousness, why do you check those pages?  It just seems depressing and angering.  Every now and then I would read the WCAX comments and quickly be reminded at how nasty the world can be.  They shut down the comment eventually and those folks moved to VT Digger who have not shut their comments.   It is brutal but is sometimes just the same ten names over and over.  Enjoy your summer and enjoy Killington and stay off Facebook.

VTDigger just shut the comments down the other day.

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

VTDigger just shut the comments down the other day.

Yeah, I had a typo.  I put "not" instead of "now".  Digger used to be a place where the comments were helpful and often included people who were involved in the story or policy makers.  Then the CAX crowd moved in.  For a paper with a leftist slant, the comments had a very right wing slant.  It was rather incongruous.

9 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Yes that stinks, but occasionally things happen that cause locals to despise folks from away.  The town of Buxton (S. Maine) closed the town park last week due to mega-trash, vandalism and behavior like throwing rocks at kayakers on the Saco River.  Despite the closure, over 100 people, nearly all from out of state, state(s) not mentioned, walked past the "closed" signs this past weekend, left enough trash to fill a pickup, and garnered 40+ summons plus 2 for resisting arrest.  It's unfair to tar everyone with that same brush but it's also almost inevitable that many people will do so.

1 hour ago, klw said:

In all seriousness, why do you check those pages?  It just seems depressing and angering.  Every now and then I would read the WCAX comments and quickly be reminded at how nasty the world can be.  They shut down the comment eventually and those folks moved to VT Digger who have now shut their comments.   It is brutal but is sometimes just the same ten names over and over.  Enjoy your summer and enjoy Killington and stay off Facebook.

It’s a community page so sometimes there is helpful information there.  My husband actually works for the Mountain and volunteers for a big volunteer organization in town and obviously we have an apartment there that we are paying rent and utilities on so we try to stay on top of what is going on when we are not there.  I think that’s partly why the comments are so annoying.  The idea that we are not part of the community and are considered tourists in an area literally full of people who recently moved to VT themselves just pisses me off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

It’s a community page so sometimes there is helpful information there.  My husband actually works for the Mountain and volunteers for a big volunteer organization in town and obviously we have an apartment there that we are paying rent and utilities on so we try to stay on top of what is going on when we are not there.  I think that’s partly why the comments are so annoying.  The idea that we are not part of the community and are considered tourists in an area literally full of people who recently moved to VT themselves just pisses me off.

Unfortunately, the "lock the gate behind me" philosophy is common.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Looks like for the first time in 5 mos, Maine reported 0 new cases for covid-19 and 25 more recoveries down to 389 active.

E00F1A36-63F3-4265-954B-720FC5D952A5.jpeg

Makes you wonder how really infectious these people coming from other states are. My guess is not very.

13 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Makes you wonder how really infectious these people coming from other states are. My guess is not very.

They have said that there has not been any uptick in out of state cases from tourist, Those would get reported back to the state they are from anyways but there not seeing any.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, radarman said:

Good news out of Maine has not been due to their strict adherence to social distancing I can tell you that.  Nowhere has been more packed with fewer masks than Maine bars aka restaurants (;) ) the last month plus.  Latitude FTW

No, Bars have been full as well as outdoor venues, I'm selective where i will wear one, And certainly not outdoors not being around anyone.

45 minutes ago, dryslot said:

They have said that there has not been any uptick in out of state cases from tourist, Those would get reported back to the state they are from anyways but there not seeing any.

Unfortunately, that "zero new cases" is actually "no increase in total cases."    21 "probable" cases (by apparent symptoms I guess) from a couple days ago have tested negative and were backed out of the total.

• Thanks 1