• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

My parents said they are setting up for fake winter in Woodstock, CT.... they are filming some Hallmark movie at various locations around town and there are several buildings/outdoor spaces getting prepped to fake winter.  It's supposed to take place during December and Christmas time.  The leaves on the trees must make that tough.

Must be brutal filming a movie wearing winter clothing outside a house when the dew point goes back over 70F in a few days. 

Winter_Woodstock.jpg.9ae60a511eb9b1706c4273c4fb3ef118.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Looking more and more like winter in NE CT.

Any good weenie would wonder why there's no snow on the roof though.  The ground cover actually isn't that bad.

Winter_Woodstock1.jpg.dad616f506ff58f06c37a415087edda3.jpg

They filmed a Hallmark movie here in Branford a few years ago as well. They had the same fake snow everywhere when I went into town. It was really cool to see. 

Bill Belichick was downtown filming a Subway commercial here yesterday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

Totally unprepared without my camera or a tripod, so the phone had to do....way overexposed, will get a better shot when there are less clouds. Still fun to see,plus the kids got to see it, which was the best part.

20200715_222104.jpg

Was it visible with the naked eye or did you use binoculars?

20 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Look back through my "land purchase" thread. There are some good write-ups from people about the best spots to buy to maximize snow and minimize cost. That's how I ended up in Randolph, a place I had never even heard of before.

That’s a great thread....not sure how I missed it!  Randolph is nearly perfect because you’re also actually near enough to civilization.   That’s what attracts me to Stowe.   I have to be in striking distance of medical care at this point and some places don’t have that option.  But digging into Randolph that’s a great location!   Not sure what I’d do with a lot of land at this point in my life though....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That’s a great thread....not sure how I missed it!  Randolph is nearly perfect because you’re also actually near enough to civilization.   That’s what attracts me to Stowe.   I have to be in striking distance of medical care at this point and some places don’t have that option.  But digging into Randolph that’s a great location!   Not sure what I’d do with a lot of land at this point in my life though....

The cocorahs observer in Temple, Maine (next to Farmington) lives at 1220' and always gets more snow than other folks.  In the Feb 2010 slopfest the Farmington co-op recorded 8.8" and that observer had 26.4" about 6 mile (and 800') away.  15 minutes to the hospital and attached medical specialty offices, an hour to AUG or LEW, 2 hours to the shore.  More state taxes than NH, however, and not quite far enough inland to avoid the April mank. 

12 hours ago, BrianW said:

They filmed a Hallmark movie here in Branford a few years ago as well. They had the same fake snow everywhere when I went into town. It was really cool to see. 

Bill Belichick was downtown filming a Subway commercial here yesterday.

G.O.A.T

17 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lifestyle of the rich and famous weenies

Jerry can buy up next to the Kellogg mansion at 1,900ft in elevation in Stowe.

This shot from two evenings ago that I took just happened to have that house in it.  High on the left shoulder is what looks like a hotel to most people (they always ask what hotel that is) but it's really an 18,000 square foot monstrosity known as the Kellogg mansion, owned by those who got rich off cereal and snack food.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.d69ca345dba5c9b67c8b248ad8a234e5.jpg

Phin made a great choice in Randolph as a home like his would've cost him 3x that amount here.  The only reason I can afford such a central location in the center of restaurants/bars/recreation path, on the river right on Mountain Road is because we got in at 2011... right after the recession and housing bubble burst.  We got in during some of the lowest real estate prices the town of Stowe has seen in decades.  Around that time, getting a mortgage on a 1,300 square foot townhome was about the same cost as paying rent so it was a no-brainer.  Since then the value has rebounded an incredible 30-40% for this central location. 

Now with COVID, the real estate agents around here are talking like it's similar to post-9/11 with an ever increasing demand of folks looking to leave the city or get a place away from the city.  The next couple years of real estate will be interesting given the economic repercussions of COVID, but countered with a demand to leave the city.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Jerry can buy up next to the Kellogg mansion at 1,900ft in elevation in Stowe.

This shot from two evenings ago that I took just happened to have that house in it.  High on the left shoulder is what looks like a hotel to most people (they always ask what hotel that is) but it's really an 18,000 square foot monstrosity known as the Kellogg mansion, owned by those who got rich off cereal and snack food.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.d69ca345dba5c9b67c8b248ad8a234e5.jpg

Phin made a great choice in Randolph as a home like his would've cost him 3x that amount here.  The only reason I can afford such a central location in the center of restaurants/bars/recreation path, on the river right on Mountain Road is because we got in at 2011... right after the recession and housing bubble burst.  We got in during some of the lowest real estate prices the town of Stowe has seen in decades.  Around that time, getting a mortgage on a 1,300 square foot townhome was about the same cost as paying rent so it was a no-brainer.  Since then the value has rebounded an incredible 30-40% for this central location. 

Now with COVID, the real estate agents around here are talking like it's similar to post-9/11 with an ever increasing demand of folks looking to leave the city or get a place away from the city.  The next couple years of real estate will be interesting given the economic repercussions of COVID, but countered with a demand to leave the city.

Is that mansion occupied? Ive seen it and thought it was a hotel too.

Just now, Flying MXZ said:

Is this is it?  Either way, nice place for Jerry to retire to!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/189-Upper-Springs-Rd-Stowe-VT-05672/115799504_zpid/

Yeah that's gotta be it.  I've never been up there, but Jerry can have the entire forum up there for a winter getaway.  Only $20,000/month payments!

That is actually dirt cheap for that thing, ha.  $3.5 million?!  There's a listing from 2013 for $6.9 million.

• Like 1