Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I dunno. Most of your snow was over 6 weeks ago with near record warmth since. 

Yeah.... like I said yesterday, the majority of this winter has been an epic rat. Save for that rogue system the first few days of December. That event has accounted for most folks totals. 

also... that storm that produced 75% of everyone’s snow was like 8-9 weeks ago now. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah.... like I said yesterday, the majority of this winter has been an epic rat. Save for that rogue system the first few days of December. That event has accounted for most folks totals. 

also... that storm that produced 75% of everyone’s snow was like 8-9 weeks ago now. 

It's definitely been worse pike south for sure as far as snow. From a climo stand point many can say that snowfall wise it's not too bad. But given the temps, when most of the snow fell and how it looks going forward, I think it's getting close to a bad one. 

17 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I didn't experience 2011/2012 around here, but besides the October snowstorm that year ratted. This year seems similar except we had 10-15 days in December instead. Still sitting at 14 inches on February 7th with nothing exciting in the next 10+ days....

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yup. 10 days to start Dec of wintry like conditions and that’s it. The heart of winter ratted. 

44 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's definitely been worse pike south for sure as far as snow. From a climo stand point many can say that snowfall wise it's not too bad. But given the temps, when most of the snow fell and how it looks going forward, I think it's getting close to a bad one. 

It really depends on how one measures the winter.  

I feel like there’s been a shift on the forum in grading winters.  Early on with WWBB and EUSWX, everyone judged winter solely on inches of snow.  Doesn’t matter when or how, if on April 1st you had X-inches relative to normal, that was that.  

Many still do that, I generally find that snowfall is what you look back on as a single number.  Like in 30 years, snowfall will be the quick and dirty look.  

Maybe it was because back on those forums we had mid-Atlantic folks with us, but snowfall inches was the holy grail to grade a winter...and ratter had to be a very specific snowfall amount to be counted.  One storm can take a place quickly out of ratter territory even if the rest of winter does nothing at all.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I feel like there’s been a shift on the forum in grading winters.  Early on with WWBB and EUSWX, everyone judged winter solely on inches of snow.  Doesn’t matter when or how, if on April 1st you had X-inches relative to normal, that was that.  

Many still do that, I generally find that snowfall is what you look back on as a single number.  Like in 30 years, snowfall will be the quick and dirty look.  

Maybe it was because back on those forums we had mid-Atlantic folks with us, but snowfall inches was the holy grail to grade a winter...and ratter had to be a very specific snowfall amount to be counted.

I weigh snowfall more than temps and pack, but it’s all subjective. I think what hurts this go around, is that we have gone weeks in the heart of winter without anything really. It’s also been very warm. If you combine all that, it’s been bad. The season pretty much came to a grinding halt after 12/17. That’s not hyperbole. 

The season started in a magnificent way. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Maybe it was because back on those forums we had mid-Atlantic folks with us, but snowfall inches was the holy grail to grade a winter...and ratter had to be a very specific snowfall amount to be counted.  One storm can take a place quickly out of ratter territory even if the rest of winter does nothing at all.

I am guilty of that and still do so. My personal definition:

<33% of lower average rage = ratter (98,02)

>=33% <50% Terrible (95,12,97,99)

>=50%<67% Bad (00,07,08)

>=67%<100 disappointing (19)

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I weigh snowfall more than temps and pack, but it’s all subjective. I think what hurts this go around, is that we have gone weeks in the heart of winter without anything really. It’s also been very warm. If you combine all that, it’s been bad. The season pretty much came to a grinding halt after 12/17. That’s not hyperbole. 

The season started in a magnificent way. 

This season started like crap when the December storm busted down here.

21 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I am guilty of that and still do so. My personal definition:

<33% of lower average rage = ratter (98,02)

>=33% <50% Terrible (95,12,97,99)

>=50%<67% Bad (00,07,08)

>=67%<100 disappointing (19)

>100%<125% tolerable

>125%<150% managable

>150%<175% meh

>175%<200% ok

>200% good

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I assign letter grades that score 4/3/2/1/0 for A/B/C/D/F with .33/.67 for x+ or x-, and weight snow grades twice as much as temp grades.  There's also subjective(*) adjustments for pack, really big snows (or lack of them) and all-time records (3/01 for snow, 2/15 for temp) get a 5, like an A+++.

(*)  Of course it's ALL subjective.

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

I didn't experience 2011/2012 around here, but besides the October snowstorm that year ratted. This year seems similar except we had 10-15 days in December instead. Still sitting at 14 inches on February 7th with nothing exciting in the next 10+ days....

11-12 was bone dry-40's every day with barely even a rain event and then the super torch in March with a few days in the 70's to near 80.  This year is basically a wetter version of that year with the same well above normal temps

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

Wavelengths shorten in March, better chance of a fluke or something like the 2 storms in March last year occurring.

Worst winter since 2001 2002!

Wasn't 15-16 far worse or was that just up here?  I am already 10 inches ahead of my entire 15-16 total.

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

This is worse than  2001

It's been atrocious, I think it may even be worse than 01/02 & 11/12 for me. 

I had like 4" total so far with every month Dec-Feb above normal, a torch Jan & Feb looking likely. Zero full days of snow cover. 

If March doesn't save the day then I'll be ranking this winter as the worst I've ever experienced.

I'm not as angry about it as I'd normally be. Eventually you just kinda accept it and move on. I just pray spring doesn't turn to sh*t. 

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The seasonal total isn't garbage. 

I'd rather get one 20" event than four 5" events spread out...to each their own. I've been pretty consistent with that preference.

I actually feel the same. But this protracted stretch of awfullness has been bad, along with every event turning to shit since 12/17. 

8 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's been atrocious, I think it may even be worse than 01/02 & 11/12 for me. 

I had like 4" total so far with every month Dec-Feb above normal, a torch Jan & Feb looking likely. Zero full days of snow cover. 

If March doesn't save the day then I'll be ranking this winter as the worst I've ever experienced.

I'm not as angry about it as I'd normally be. Eventually you just kinda accept it and move on. I just pray spring doesn't turn to sh*t. 

Not even close to 2001 or 2011 for me.

26 minutes ago, klw said:

Wasn't 15-16 far worse or was that just up here?  I am already 10 inches ahead of my entire 15-16 total.

I'd rate '15-'16 worse here too over interior MA...but once you were near the coast and then down in CT, it was much better than this year...southern CT got a decent hit from the Jan '16 blizzard....and those coastal areas did not really cash in on the Dec 1-3, 2019 storm earlier this winter.