Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/17 Messy Mix

40/70 Benchmark

12 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Chris, lots of peeps go to bed before 11 pm, and they went to bed with a 3-6 inch snow accumulation call for a lot interior SNE.  

Then at 11 pm, the forecast was changed and downgraded to 1-3 inches, and that’s gonna bust too.  This was a horrible performance by modeling...plain and simple. 

And That’s my point...sure you can keep changing with every model run of the HRRR etc etc in a situation like this...but that doesn’t help the 99% of the general public who’s definitely not watching every model run every hour.  

:deadhorse:

12 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Chris, lots of peeps go to bed before 11 pm, and they went to bed with a 3-6 inch snow accumulation call for a lot interior SNE.  

Then at 11 pm, the forecast was changed and downgraded to 1-3 inches, and that’s gonna bust too.  This was a horrible performance by modeling...plain and simple. 

And That’s my point...sure you can keep changing with every model run of the HRRR etc etc in a situation like this...but that doesn’t help the 99% of the general public who’s definitely not watching every model run every hour.  

I don’t mean your knee-jerk to everything. I mean you take it all as a lump sum evaluate the trends, look at near term data like radar etc. and then if you need to change, you change.  But yeah unfortunately most of it happened when people had sugar plums dancing in their heads. 18z started going to crap and it never looked back.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t mean your knee-jerk to everything. I mean you take it all as a lump sum evaluate the trends, look at near term data like radar etc. and then if you need to change, you change.  But yeah unfortunately most of it happened when people had sugar plums dancing in their heads. 18z started going to crap and it never looked back.

I see and know what you mean.  Ahh well, we All learn from this too.

And Sorry, I called you Chris lol, I meant Scott.  For some reason yours and his screen name/avatar, while different,  for some reason if I respond quick I can get you two mixed up a lot.  

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

And Sorry, I called you Chris lol, I meant Scott.  For some reason yours and his screen name/avatar, while different,  for some reason if I respond quick I can get you two mixed up a lot.  

And I had to work an overnight so was able to look at a lot. Boston will be lucky to get an inch. Maybe we can get a little light snow this evening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We’ll see what happens today....still think 2-3” may be possible, then there’s the arctic shortwave tomorrow.  

Hopefully squalls for all.  6z NAM gone wild up here in the mountains next two days. 

2E14028B-ED43-4625-818C-FCC0B1D510F0.thumb.png.90c66bc68d42f63fd2ec8bcb0efd25a0.png

After this debacle, I am really stoked to be headed up to Jay for the New Year. For the next two weeks it’s all about the picnic tables. Let’s stack it up!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Almost all sleet. Can’t even get a zr storm after the snow failure. Just a complete all around loss 

Staying power. Get enough of it and it’ll at least look white. Then get a little inch of fluff on top and no one will know the difference. Like lipstick on a pig. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Staying power. Get enough of it and it’ll at least look white. Then get a little inch of fluff on top and no one will know the difference. Like lipstick on a pig. 

I don’t know if I’ll manage 1”. Looks like it ends off to the SW. Not even 1/2” yet. Sleet would have been great had it actually snowed. Tonight is probably an hour of fluffy flakes. 

Ground will be white again. White, then white and COLD. No complaints. Just going to have to wear layers. This hasn't been the worst December. Problem is that everyone is playing the same number on the lottery. If you live in SNE your chances of a white Christmas range from maybe 15% on the Cape and Islands to maybe 50% in the Worcester hills. Up in the hilltop towns of the Berkshires you get to maybe 75%. This is for the minimal 1 inch coverage. 

Now, if you pick all 31 days your chances of  snow on the ground goes way up. Now, NNE is a whole different story.

46 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I for one believe people usually don’t “learn much” from busts thou it sounds lovely 

they often are Over confident identifying why they were “wrong” because they simply *Want* and are willing to believe they will be right next time . Same situation occurs i would be confident it will be wrong again . I see this all the time w busted forecasts . Sometimes the reason just isn’t as clear as they are identifying. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I for one believe people usually don’t “learn much from busts”

they often are Over confident identifying why they were “wrong” because they simply *Want* and are willing to believe they will be right next time . Same situation occurs i would be confident it will be wrong again . I see this all the time w busted forecasts . Sometimes the reason just isn’t clear .

Last event was clear....this was just poor guidance.

I get caught up in some of the hype and lose objectivity at times.  Hoping for positive busts or upper ends of guidance.  Snow maps and weenie goggles. Im not sure what the warning flags were for this until the latest models. 
I forecast 4-6” for this area and still might get the lower end but I doubt it

• Sad 1