Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If you find feral honey bees, you can usually call a local guy to take them off your property for free. Don't pay to have honey bee nest removed if you can help it. 

If it's bumble bees, no such luck...though I try and not kill bumble bees since they are excellent pollinators but if the nest is too close then you gotta do what you gotta do. 

Yellow jacket nests I will go out of my way to kill. They are the worst. White faced hornets il fairly indifferent. If they aren't too close, then they won't typically bother you.

This year yellow jackets.  

The hornets last year attacked my wife when she disturbed them.  She got stung multiple times and had the presence of mind to take Benadryl.  We had one in the house in mid May last year but until the attack last summer we didn’t connect the dots.

All this bee talk reminds me of last summer when my son left the door open a little bit to my maple packing house while we were working on a large order for maple sugar.  The next day there had to be thousands of yellow jackets in the room.  They literally ate many pounds of maple sugar before I could get them under control.  Thankfully it was September/October and when the it got cold enough they just went away.  I was worried about them coming back this year but they have not returned.

45 minutes ago, weathafella said:

This year yellow jackets.  

The hornets last year attacked my wife when she disturbed them.  She got stung multiple times and had the presence of mind to take Benadryl.  We had one in the house in mid May last year but until the attack last summer we didn’t connect the dots.

What was it last year, white faced hornets inside the house or just outside on the house structure? They are nasty if you disturb them near their nest. Very painful stings too. Might be the most painful I've had. They just aren't as nasty as yellow jackets away from the nest. A yellow jacket will sting you pretty easily away from the nest...it's like they are just happy to be azzholes and sting for the hell of it...most other species of bees, wasps, and hornets wont bother you too much away from the nest. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

What was it last year, white faced hornets inside the house or just outside on the house structure? They are nasty if you disturb them near their nest. Very painful stings too. Might be the most painful I've had. They just aren't as nasty as yellow jackets away from the nest. A yellow jacket will sting you pretty easily away from the nest...it's like they are just happy to be azzholes and sting for the hell of it...most other species of bees, wasps, and hornets wont bother you too much away from the nest. 

Yellow jackets are arseholes. Just had my third unprovoked sting in a month. But they messed with the wrong guy. I found their nest. I borrowed my neighbor's bee suit. They'll be provoked this time, make no mistake. 

1vxq3q.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not sure.  When we had one in the house I ran upstairs and let my wife take care of it...lol.

• Haha 1

We had paper wasps constantly buzzing around the eaves of our house since we moved in 7 years ago. The occasional one would somehow find its way into the house. They're pretty slow and stupid but still caused a ruckus. Had an acquaintance who owns his own extermination business spray around the eaves last year. Since then, nothing.

Great sleeping weather tonight.