Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Very warm and dewy next week. Enjoy a day of COC.

looks like a period of cooler wx perhaps next weekend for a time and then retorch after. Torchtember to start.

Where is that shown? Warm and humid yes for a 3 to 4 day period then say wut period of time? As far as the models run. Have no idea where you see the rest, cooler would be a rather modest adjective if the Euro is right

download (47).png

download (46).png

IMG_20190802_082740.jpg

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What was BDL low you mean, it is summer after all. You are already getting confused which site to mirror.  You are better off with IJD which is closer to you than BDL ORH 

I think he was comparing ORH to me. I was a bit surprised they didn’t drop more. 

KFIT is generally much warmer than them and is 600’ lower.  It was much cooler there 

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Anyone who didn't shut off their AC and open the windows last night missed out on a beautiful fresh air sleep. Nothing better 

My daughter annoyingly ran hers all night. 

My house was cold this morning. Windows were open just a little downstairs and it got to 64 inside 

36 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I think he was comparing ORH to me. I was a bit surprised they didn’t drop more. 

KFIT is generally much warmer than them and is 600’ lower.  It was much cooler there 

Typical rad night. ORH will be significantly warmer than FIT on those nights. 

34 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My daughter annoyingly ran hers all night. 

My house was cold this morning. Windows were open just a little downstairs and it got to 64 inside 

64 outside is above the normal low. 

Funny. 

It's an acclimation thing ...  I suspect.  A lot of overages on cool descriptions coming  

• Thanks 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Typical rad night. ORH will be significantly warmer than FIT on those nights. 

I do think ORH and Kev are very similar on lows.  ORH never radiates at all.  HubbDave radiates quite a bit from what I’ve seen over the years.  

Like we say, not all elevations are the same.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Funny. 

It's an acclimation thing ...  I suspect.  A lot of overages on cool descriptions coming  

I emptied the trash this morning barefoot,  cold tootsies at 57. 64 with dry air is chilly inside summer or winter. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

I do think ORH and Kev are very similar on lows.  ORH never radiates at all.  HubbDave radiates quite a bit from what I’ve seen over the years.  

ORH DP was 48 but with a breeze. Another top ten day today,  lawn mowing once the grass dries out, pool, outside concert at Mohegan Sun tonight.   Summer of my youth rolls on. Almost time for consistent surf too.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I emptied the trash this morning barefoot,  cold tootsies at 57. 64 is chilly inside summer or winter

I gave the wasps a dousing of permethrin powder. We’ll see how that goes. Saw a vid where someone used dry ice over the hole. Chilled them down and then suffocated them with the heavy gas. May try that. 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

ORH DP was 48 but with a breeze. Another top ten day today,  lawn mowing once the grass dries out, pool, outside concert at Mohegan Sun tonight.   Summer of my youth rolls on. Almost time for consistent surf too.

BOS was 88/45 at one point yesterday evening. I think they were still 80 when I went to bed while everyone else was 70 or less. What a pit. 

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Funny. 

Definitely an acclimation thing. In winter we have our bedrooms thermostats set to 62 at night. 

Been used to waking to upper 60s/lower 70s the last month or so

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I gave the wasps a dousing of permethrin powder. We’ll see how that goes. Saw a vid where someone used dry ice over the hole. Chilled them down and then suffocated them with the heavy gas. May try that. 

I missed this before but saw a reference...did you have a massive yellow jacket nest? Usually powder is for the big ones. I've become a mini-expert on bees over the years since I hate them so much. Yellow jackets are the single worst wasp/bee/hornet in my opinion. 

Took me 3 cans of raid to get rid of a large nest I discovered in the apex of our roof line earlier in July. It was like a zombie nest. Every time I thought it was dead, I'd see some stragglers flying in and out 2 days later. 

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Why wouldn’t KORH radiate well I wonder, yet KFIT and I did. I assume soul type makes a big difference. All trees around my house. And some wetlands. High clay percentage.    The KORH instruments are in a big field.  Must have been the breeze like Steve said. 

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Why wouldn’t KORH radiate well I wonder, yet KFIT and I did. I assume soul type makes a big difference. All trees around my house. And some wetlands. High clay percentage.    The KORH instruments are in a big field.  Must have been the breeze like Steve said. 

Have you seen the airport location? It's on a huge ridge that's exposed. Basically has zero radiation a cooling there. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I missed this before but saw a reference...did you have a massive yellow jacket net? I've become a mini-expert on bees over the years since I hate them so much. Yellow jackets are the single worst wasp/bee/hornet in my opinion. 

Took me 3 cans of raid to get rid of a large nest I discovered in the apex of our roof line earlier in July. It was like a zombie nest. Every time I thought it was dead, I'd see some stragglers flying in and out 2 days later. 

I went out with full clothing, gloves, and a bug hat in case any tried to get to my face. The hole wasn’t too active this morning...maybe a couple going in and out every minute. I have this little puff too for spreading powdered pesticides as I use the permethrin on the rears of my birds if they get mites. It kills them almost instantly  and I know it’s very deadly for bees and wasps. This stuff is used for plants too so I felt reasonably ok with filling up the ground with it. My birds usually free range over there so I don’t want anything toxic to them in the soil. I also planted my tulip tree right next to the YJ hole so I don’t want to kill that either. I’ll probably remove the bin iver the hole in the morning to see what’s going on. 

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Actual elevation as little to do with it. It’s the topography around the site. SLK is high up, but is in a relative bowl. So the cold just drains and sits in there over the lake area. Then you get a place like MQE that doesn’t radiate even at an elevation about mine, but they’re sitting above everyone else. Any cold developing from radiated heat loss from the surface drains down and away from them...probably mostly into the swamp pit at OWD. lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I went out with full clothing, gloves, and a bug hat in case any tried to get to my face. The hole wasn’t too active this morning...maybe a couple going in and out every minute. I have this little puff too for spreading powdered pesticides as I use the permethrin on the rears of my birds if they get mites. It kills them almost instantly  and I know it’s very deadly for bees and wasps. This stuff is used for plants too so I felt reasonably ok with filling up the ground with it. My birds usually free range over there so I don’t want anything toxic to them in the soil. I also planted my tulip tree right next to the YJ hole so I don’t want to kill that either. I’ll probably remove the bin iver the hole in the morning to see what’s going on. 

There's a funny little trick you can use for "hole in the ground" nests assuming they are on relatively flat terrain.....you put a clear glass bowl upside down over the top of the nest hole at night when they are all inside. Then the next day they will fly out and be trapped inside the glass dome but because they have been exposed to daylight, they will just fly around inside the confined space and then re-enter the nest and think they just had a failed foraging expedition. They all eventually starve to death over the next few days. 

It has to be clear though,....if you use a solid dome, they will just dig a new exit through the soil. How weird is that? The clear bowl tricks them into thinking they aren't trapped. I got rid of a big ground nest this way years ago. It's obviously nice because it requires zero toxins.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's a funny little trick you can use for "hole in the ground" nests assuming they are on relatively flat terrain.....you put a clear glass bowl upside down over the top of the nest hole at night when they are all inside. Then the next day they will fly out and be trapped inside the glass dome but because they have been exposed to daylight, they will just fly around inside the confined space and then re-enter the nest and think they just had a failed foraging expedition. They all eventually starve to death over the next few days. 

It has to be clear though,....if you use a solid dome, they will just dig a new exit through the soil. How weird is that? The clear bowl tricks them into thinking they aren't trapped. I got rid of a big ground nest this way years ago. It's obviously nice because it requires zero toxins.  

Interesting  I enjoy the gas blowup for ground nests, instant death to the bitches

• Like 1