Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

43 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Can you start it? We’ll see the Hot Humid Humping bias very clearly there.

Kevin's MADIS graph for predictions vs reality will have violent step changes in March and October every year. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Kevin's MADIS graph for predictions vs reality will have violent step changes in March and October every year. 

Just once I want him to call for a low dew and below normal period in the summer.  Even if just a week.  I doubt we’ve seen that since the EUSWX days when he used to forecast chilly all year long.

In a way it’s like politics in the summer on here...can always sell it a certain way regardless of the facts.  There’s no changing teams regardless of what model data says.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just once I want him to call for a low dew and below normal period in the summer.  Even if just a week.  I doubt we’ve seen that since the EUSWX days when he used to forecast chilly all year long.

In a way it’s like politics in the summer on here...can always sell it a certain way regardless of the facts.  There’s no changing teams regardless of what model data says.

I see a 3-5 day dew down spell Augdewst 10-14

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This at the Davis or ASOS?

I bet you could get at least 30% of the days hitting a 70F dew at the ASOS (if you are talking even just one ob at 9am).... and 60% or more at a Davis station.

lol...a few 70F dews on the Cape at midnight apparently count.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So far there’s 1 day 70+ dews where the threshold was met . Probably get one tomorrow and then 2-4 next week. Then we’ve got the final 15-18 days for verification .

How do we already have one?  One station for one hour in 48 hours = 1 day?  I don't agree with that or selecting a coastal station just for that purpose.  

2 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

How do we already have one?  One station for one hour in 48 hours = 1 day?  I don't agree with that or selecting a coastal station just for that purpose.  

12z yesterday morning. Thoughts and prayers to those on the Cape that woke up to a 70F dew that fell into the 50s toward afternoon.

5307CBE3-2123-432B-868F-C81B6BBC5661.jpeg

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

12z yesterday morning. Thoughts and prayers to those on the Cape that woke up to a 70F dew that fell into the 50s toward afternoon.

5307CBE3-2123-432B-868F-C81B6BBC5661.jpeg

He called for 15 days of dews 70+ this month.  He then chooses the swampiest locations to verify instead of places right in his backyard.  Only in Kevin's mind could 1 hour = 24 hours.  Then again I'm talking about the person who reads multiple people post about how hot it's been and then say those same people have been talking about how cool its been.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They’re out there. The ones posting about barefoot cold in Augdewst and things like that. At any rate.. our official call for the month was issued last week +1.5 to +2.5 in SNE.. with emphasis more on dews than heat . Especially last 2 weeks or so 

Well it was 56 where most people live

4 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

If that's real, I'd be interested in the chemical mechanism causing the damage.  Glyphosate's mode of action in plants is to prevent formation of an amino acid essential for photosynthesis, a process rarely performed by either bees or people.  :P  That amino acid is one never produced by animal life.

In other unsettling news, I visited the Climod site to add the July data to sites for which I have records, and found that the Farmington co-op abruptly stopped reporting on the 17th and thru month's end.  This is the site's first missed data since March 1970 (entire month msg), and before that one must go back to 1913 to find more gaps.  The observer is well into his 80s, so I view the data stoppage with foreboding.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Hornets last summer, regular bees this summer.  I hire a bee guy.

If you find feral honey bees, you can usually call a local guy to take them off your property for free. Don't pay to have honey bee nest removed if you can help it. 

If it's bumble bees, no such luck...though I try and not kill bumble bees since they are excellent pollinators but if the nest is too close then you gotta do what you gotta do. 

Yellow jacket nests I will go out of my way to kill. They are the worst. White faced hornets il fairly indifferent. If they aren't too close, then they won't typically bother you.