Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,515
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews
    Joined
WxUSAF

March 3-4, 2019 Snow Discussion and Obs

Recommended Posts

Saw this coming from a mile away. Its a mini version of snowquester.

Along I-95?/ Is it March?/marginal temps?/daylight?/= Take snowfall maps, reduce accumulation to 0.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, clskinsfan said:

Roofs starting cave around my hood. Arborvitaes snow covered. Need better rates!!!!

When Winchester VA can't get it done, its not going to happen.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temp down to 33F.  A little bit of whitening in shaded spots, mulch, grass.  But it's taken  an hour of pretty good rates to accomplish even that.  Unfortunate timing for this event.  By the time night falls and the ground cools enough for some stickage, the good stuff will probably be over for me.  1 - 2 sloppy inches on some favorable surfaces, which has been my guess for the last couple days.  North of Rt. 50 will do markedly better, as they always do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Saw this coming from a mile away. Its a mini version of snowquester.

Along I-95?/ Is it March?/marginal temps?/daylight?/= Take snowfall maps, reduce accumulation to 0.

 

 

Except that pretty much no one forecasted more than 1-2 inches of slop for DC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Roofs starting cave around my hood. Arborvitaes snow covered. Need better rates!!!!

Good luck.  I think you can hit 4" out of this.  Winterwxluvr too.  And Wxtrix and WVCimo probably jackpot early.  PSU jacks tonight, when it really counts.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

??  Been snowing out for 2 hours.

I have not even seen a flake yet... and it is not supposed to get hot and heavy until this evening.  We just need to calm down.  I know this is going to be a climo event... but we just need to let it play out and not post it is not going to happen before it even starts.  I mean yes it could bust... but right now it is right on track.  I am still 2 degree under what LWX has for my high for today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like most meso models have precip going to midnight in most areas so there will be some good rates after dark who ever is snowing by then . 3k has the 23z to 03z time period as the heaviest in central Md fwiw .

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Interstate said:

I have not even seen a flake yet... and it is not supposed to get hot and heavy until this evening.  We just need to calm down.  I know this is going to be a climo event... but we just need to let it play out and not post it is not going to happen before it even starts.  I mean yes it could bust... but right now it is right on track.  I am still 2 degree under what LWX has for my high for today.

I'm not posting thoughts on what might happen for you, I'm talking MBY.  Good luck to you, but the storm has started, even if not for you, yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Light snow. Temp has dropped from 41 to 39 in the last 15 minutes. Bar for this was seeing flakes for me. I was concerned about it being an all rain event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mdecoy said:

Mt Holly has 7 inches for me.

I can't wait to take a contrasting photo tomorrow morning showing my "accumulations"

You are very close to a very sharp cutoff and nws is being liberal because it’s better to bust high than low.  If people are over prepared it won’t cause danger, people not being prepared can. 

But you know this and you aren’t actually expecting 7” but you will still act like a 4 year old and throw a mini tantrum when it doesn’t happen anyways. And if it does you will say yea but it’s only 3” on the roads and it will melt fast because it’s March. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

You are very close to a very sharp cutoff and nws is being liberal because it’s better to bust high than low.  If people are over prepared it won’t cause danger, people not being prepared can. 

But you know this and you aren’t actually expecting 7” but you will still act like a 4 year old and throw a mini tantrum when it doesn’t happen anyways. And if it does you will say yea but it’s only 3” on the roads and it will melt fast because it’s March. 

The problem with going for high numbers all the time is that if they keep busting high, people won't take them as seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Lets not all be Debbie Downers... I mean the storm has not even started.

Agree. Too much panic. Let’s see what happens late today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

The problem with going for high numbers all the time is that if they keep busting high, people won't take them as seriously.

He doesn’t actually bust that often though. Last March he was “claiming” he got almost no snow yet all the reports around where he says he lives showed he got what NWS was forecasting. He often acts like what’s on the roads is what should count. He is ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Roofs starting cave around my hood.

Wow already?? How many feet of snow have you gotten? :o 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×