Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I could go for a week of 45° and sun...a steady melt where we evaporate the meltwater as we go. Good tree tappin weather too.

That's where I'm at, the last thing we need is below average temps with cutters priming the L.E. of the snow pack.  I like mud season to last days not weeks.  Should be a decent maple season with these projected temps.

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That's where I'm at, the last thing we need is below average temps with cutters priming the L.E. of the snow pack.  I like mud season to last days not weeks.  Should be a decent maple season with these projected temps.

Yeah with constant snow cover at my house since November 12th... and still 24-25" of dense snow to walk on top of... this has been a very long winter.  When the winter snowpack starts at 750ft elevation in the second week of November, it's a very long time of "winter appeal."

This stuff will take some serious time to melt, too.  Classic March pack though, settled out, dense, a dozen layers in it.

Time to go sun and 40s for a while....especially since starting next weekend it'll be light out until like 7pm.

• Sad 1

Had to shovel the back porch roof Saturday, as ice dams had pooled water around the stink-pipe collar, resulting in minor leakage.  First chore was freeing my ladder from its front porch location, where snowfall, snowblower, and roof shoveling put about 5 feet of dense pack around it.  After digging the foxhole, I found out one ladder foot was frozen into mud, requiring a gallon of hot water.  Was able to carry/slide the ladder over the 3-ft pack without sinking more than 12-18" if I was careful. (Hip deep if not)  Back porch roof had about 35", with 1/3" crusts at 15" and 25" from the top, and a 1/2" one about 6" off the roof.  No idea what the LE was of that stuff, other than "a lot."

Could be an interesting spring with all that water perched on the landscape, though April rain (amount and timing vis-a-vis snowmelt) will be key - I've yet to see a purely snowmelt flood of serious proportions, though I know they happen in other parts of the country.  In 2008 we had a huge pack and then 3.4" RA on 4/28-29, but the big snowmelt had passed downriver 5-7 days earlier.  Folks on the St. John had similar RA but weren't so fortunate, and that river smashed all peak flow records as snowmelt was - as usual - later up there.

47 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had to shovel the back porch roof Saturday, as ice dams had pooled water around the stink-pipe collar, resulting in minor leakage.  First chore was freeing my ladder from its front porch location, where snowfall, snowblower, and roof shoveling put about 5 feet of dense pack around it.  After digging the foxhole, I found out one ladder foot was frozen into mud, requiring a gallon of hot water.  Was able to carry/slide the ladder over the 3-ft pack without sinking more than 12-18" if I was careful. (Hip deep if not)  Back porch roof had about 35", with 1/3" crusts at 15" and 25" from the top, and a 1/2" one about 6" off the roof.  No idea what the LE was of that stuff, other than "a lot."

Could be an interesting spring with all that water perched on the landscape, though April rain (amount and timing vis-a-vis snowmelt) will be key - I've yet to see a purely snowmelt flood of serious proportions, though I know they happen in other parts of the country.  In 2008 we had a huge pack and then 3.4" RA on 4/28-29, but the big snowmelt had passed downriver 5-7 days earlier.  Folks on the St. John had similar RA but weren't so fortunate, and that river smashed all peak flow records as snowmelt was - as usual - later up there.

https://www.weather.gov/nerfc/hf_march_1936

http://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/great-new-england-flood-1936/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alex said:

That's some scary stuff. My entire property  would be wiped out

There was devastation across all of New England.  The high water marker on the Millers River along RT 2 in Erving is 6' over the highway.  Bratleboro, Turners Falls, Holyoke, Hartford were all devastated.

Deep snow pack with high water content and a screaming Sou'Easter sending water down ice jammed rivers gets it done.  If that happened this year we have the water content in the pack but maybe not as much ice to damn the rivers, at least down here.

15 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There was devastation across all of New England.  The high water marker on the Millers River along RT 2 in Erving is 6' over the highway.  Bratleboro, Turners Falls, Holyoke, Hartford were all devastated.

Deep snow pack with high water content and a screaming Sou'Easter sending water down ice jammed rivers gets it done.  If that happened this year we have the water content in the pack but maybe not as much ice to damn the rivers, at least down here.

Even Keene had severe flooding.  All along the river was very bad, this road sign in S Hadley tells the story.

weather+totem+pole.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, radarman said:

Even Keene had severe flooding.  All along the river was very bad, this road sign in S Hadley tells the story.

weather+totem+pole.jpg

Yes, I've driven by that a bunch an when I first saw it I thought it was a mistake and was supposed to be 1938 not 1936 because I did not know about the 1936 flood at that time. 

Every time I go that way I wonder how some of those old farm houses even survived.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Amazing that was probably an apex year in that decade know as the great dust bowl in the Plains / there's never been drought so extreme since. 

It would be fascinating to back track what the atmospheric patterns might have looked like then for that particular decade of climate extremes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It would be fascinating to back track what the atmospheric patterns might have looked like then for that particular decade of climate extremes. 

lots of La Ninas lol. and really bad farming practices.

It's also fascinating that a persistent La Nina pattern has been implicated in the end of the Mayan civilization

10 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

W0w---that sign's for 19386?  I thought it read '38.

14 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Ice storm Sunday?

Not during the day.  Ice can't accrete in March.

5 hours ago, 78Blizzard said:

I know it's the JMA, but I love that depiction for day 7-8 with the blocking high to our north.

jma_z500_mslp_us_8.pngjma_z500_mslp_us_9.png

I know it's the CMC but I like this.  I'll be up in NNE during this time period, so I'm hoping this thing doesn't cut.  If it does, it's going to be marginal in the whites and northern greens.  

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh156-156.thumb.gif.d21ff4ec83c67e5955f0f3074276b319.gif

Also I'm up in CT this week from the Philly area, 5"+ at my house but it's nice to have even more snow up here :snowing:

1 minute ago, ChasingFlakes said:

I know it's the CMC but I like this.  I'll be up in NNE during this time period, so I'm hoping this thing doesn't cut.  If it does, it's going to be marginal in the whites and northern greens.  

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh156-156.thumb.gif.d21ff4ec83c67e5955f0f3074276b319.gif

Also I'm up in CT this week from the Philly area, 5"+ at my house but it's nice to have even more snow up here :snowing:

Where in CT? 

I'd say we close the shades on anything interesting through St Paddy's day. After that, the look Steve posted above along with split flow evident could make things interesting. Even the GFS op runs show this. Not that the op runs mean a dam thing this far out, but they can hint at things sometimes.