Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

30 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

It’s pretty ironic that today and tomorrow are the deepest winter feel and look like days all winter in the midst of what many Mets called for warm and springlike a month ago

No up here. It feels like March with the bright sun reflecting off the pack, clear driveways, and relatively tolerable teens. But we’ve had pack since Dec.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

No up here. It feels like March with the bright sun reflecting off the pack, clear driveways, and relatively tolerable teens. But we’ve had pack since Dec.

Congrats  on a near zero wind chill in March when we were bombarded with jorts talk in Feb about Morch . 

2 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Can def see hydro issues, esp if we get a big rainer

IMO, only if we get a big rainer.  I've yet to see more than minor flooding from just snowmelt.  That said, "big rainer" is relative.  The 1979 flood, which established a new peak for the St. John (crushed in 2008) was 3 days of round-the-clock melting (lows in the 50s0 in late April followed by a mere 1" rain.  Fields and clearcuts were nearly bare going into the melt, but lots rrmained in the black growth and the warmth/rain brought it all out.  In 2008 there was a less dramatic but still significant thaw followed by 3"+ RA, and loads more snow going in.  The 1987 flood was a truly big rainer, 4-7", after a warm week in late march so plenty of snow to contribute.

CAR showing 45" OG.  They had 12.33" precip during met winter, and the carryover from Novie probably equals what was lost in the 12/21 rainer and the couple of 1-day thaws, so I'd guess their pack has 12", maybe a bit over.  Co-op snow survey should be out either late today or tomorrow, 1st since Feb 6 though the pace quickens now.

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

IMO, only if we get a big rainer.  I've yet to see more than minor flooding from just snowmelt.  That said, "big rainer" is relative.  The 1979 flood, which established a new peak for the St. John (crushed in 2008) was 3 days of round-the-clock melting (lows in the 50s0 in late April followed by a mere 1" rain.  Fields and clearcuts were nearly bare going into the melt, but lots rrmained in the black growth and the warmth/rain brought it all out.  In 2008 there was a less dramatic but still significant thaw followed by 3"+ RA, and loads more snow going in.  The 1987 flood was a truly big rainer, 4-7", after a warm week in late march so plenty of snow to contribute.

CAR showing 45" OG.  They had 12.33" precip during met winter, and the carryover from Novie probably equals what was lost in the 12/21 rainer and the couple of 1-day thaws, so I'd guess their pack has 12", maybe a bit over.  Co-op snow survey should be out either late today or tomorrow, 1st since Feb 6 though the pace quickens now.

Why don’t the CoCorahs peeps do swe in Maine? Only one I could find is Farmington 9.29

I also remember the 3/30/97 nape fest.  I went for a 5 mile run in shorts and t.  I had just started posting on the Internet and all of a sudden there’s talk of snow.  The next morning heading out to work in rain in the 40s.  By noon down near north station flakes are mixing in.  Going home in heavy snow.  3-4/hour for many hours!  An all timer for sure!

Realizing it isn't New England over there but isn't it a little late in the season for big lake effect snows?

I'm also laughing a little because I signed up for a gravel bike ride down in Chatham the Sunday after next.  I'm not entirely sure what to expect but I know it'll be fun.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Why don’t the CoCorahs peeps do swe in Maine? Only one I could find is Farmington 9.29

Speaking only for myself, I ration my SWE measurements due to limited easily accessible untrammeled (by foot or snowblower) pack.  Without digging a sizable trench from the plowed path to the shed, I've got perhaps 5 sample spots at best.  Also, with all the internal crusts, it's a 30-minute or more project.  Given the precip, I'd guess there's about 10" in my 39-40" pack.  That Farmington SWE came from a reported 41".  Toughest for me is getting thru the crusts w/o wrecking the Stratus tube - several years ago my heel-of-hand pounding cracked the base.  Wasn't leaking, but I keep duct tape on the outside just in case, and now I'll mark the tube's perimeter and carve a circle with my knife so I can slip the tube downward.  I suspect that a bit of the core is lost each time I do that, but I don't have the patience I had 35 years ago, when I repeatedly warmed the rim of a 16-oz steel beverage can and melted my way thru the 3" crust left by a 12/31 ice storm - took over 30 minutes just for that.  That crust was 1.25" of ZR-annealed IP top and bottom with 1/2" clear ice in the middle, and held 1.90" LE, part of the 16" total.  (No flood that year - perfect melt-off wx with little rain, lots of sunny 45/15 days and low rh.) 

28 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Its insane up there, Looks like sunday is trending colder even on the warm GFS, Looks like we may stay all frozen even here as now were getting a secondary reflection over Southern Maine.

Man the GFS has a lot of frozen QPF Sunday. :axe:

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Speaking only for myself, I ration my SWE measurements due to limited easily accessible untrammeled (by foot or snowblower) pack.  Without digging a sizable trench from the plowed path to the shed, I've got perhaps 5 sample spots at best.  Also, with all the internal crusts, it's a 30-minute or more project.  Given the precip, I'd guess there's about 10" in my 39-40" pack.  That Farmington SWE came from a reported 41".  Toughest for me is getting thru the crusts w/o wrecking the Stratus tube - several years ago my heel-of-hand pounding cracked the base.  Wasn't leaking, but I keep duct tape on the outside just in case, and now I'll mark the tube's perimeter and carve a circle with my knife so I can slip the tube downward.  I suspect that a bit of the core is lost each time I do that, but I don't have the patience I had 35 years ago, when I repeatedly warmed the rim of a 16-oz steel beverage can and melted my way thru the 3" crust left by a 12/31 ice storm - took over 30 minutes just for that.  That crust was 1.25" of ZR-annealed IP top and bottom with 1/2" clear ice in the middle, and held 1.90" LE, part of the 16" total.  (No flood that year - perfect melt-off wx with little rain, lots of sunny 45/15 days and low rh.) 

Damn. I can only relate to 2015 when my depth was 39. I cord’ a 6.85 w/e , can’t imagine 12 plus in 45 . Please post those coop  w/e when you can 

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I remember VT being a bit of a mess during that torch in late March 98...not sure how it was up your way.

Maine mountains topped out near 70, unlike PWM's 88 or some such, while Aroostook only topped 50 on one day.  Peak flows for Kennebec watershed rivers that year came from the mid June rain event, which included Farmington's 2nd greatest one-day precip - 5.72" of a 7"+ total.  The Penobscot peaked on April 2, 1998, at 112% of average peak so nothing special.  The St. John peaked at 130% of its average, but I don't have the date so cannot tell if that came from the March warmth.

Follow-up to my previous note:  The St. John peak in 1998 was on April 2, so related to the warm spell even as modest as it was there.  However, peaks on the St John often include ice jam impact - the classic instance of that was their 3rd greatest peak, 148,000 CFS, in 1974.  That was ironically caused by low water that was a factor in a jam in Allagash near the Dickey bridge - moved that span several inches as ice slid underneath showing grooves from the rivets on the bridge underside.  (17 years later an even bigger jam wiped out that bridge.)  In 1974, the jam hauled on May Day and the river rose over 20 feet in 15 minutes at Ft. Kent, with ice chunks breaking shop windows on Main Street.  Two years later the COE built a dike that protects West Main up to a 32' event.  ('74 was 26.95, '79 had 27.31 [151k], and 2008 reached 30.07 [183k] with major flooding east of the dike.  Our agency's staff historian was in town directing loads of fill to prevent the Ft. Kent blockhouse from floating downriver.)

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Unlike many,  i'll take snow right into early April, I think its fun and I know it's a long wait until the next snow season. 

I'm with you, and especially because of this season's early-and-often snowpack.  Short of a 1936 repeat, 18-19 is a lock to pass 13-14 (2,837) for #2 SDDs, and could conceivably threaten the "unbeatable" 3,835 of 07-08 (we're 214 SDDs behind thru yesterday.)