Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
February 12th-14 Redeveloper Nowcast/Obs

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Got about mostly sleet now, about an inch of snow on the ground, ready to melt away as we are at 31F now with a strong easterly wind, we are about to changeover to rain, waiting for the Celtics game tongiht, hoping they win.

biggest storm of the year so far?

This was def better than Jan 20th, it occured during the day and we got more snow/sleet than that storm.

Can someone more knowledgeable explain why the correlation coefficient radar only shows the sleet line around the perimeter of the radar range and not in closer to the radar itself? Does it have to do with the angle over the distance?

Edit: Ok I managed to find a reference. It has to do with mixed precipitation types. So the bright area really is the “line”. Fascinating. 

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

biggest storm of the year so far?

This was def better than Jan 20th, it occured during the day and we got more snow/sleet than that storm.

Not for my area, of course I was up in Devens MA during the last one, but we had a couple more inches of snow in winsted before the change last storm. got 3.25 before the flip this time, and about an inch of sleet so far, and banging IP hard right now

Just now, tavwtby said:

Not for my area, of course I was up in Devens MA during the last one, but we had a couple more inches of snow in winsted before the change last storm. got 3.25 before the flip this time, and about an inch of sleet so far, and banging IP hard right now

I had 2.3" total last storm then 0.5" of ice

banging IP here too.

7 minutes ago, mostman said:

Can someone more knowledgeable explain why the correlation coefficient radar only shows the sleet line around the perimeter of the radar range and not in closer to the radar itself? Does it have to do with the angle over the distance?

Yes, it has to do with the beam height. You're seeing "sleet line" at a certain distance away from the radar because it's where snow aloft is melting into rain and refreezing back as sleet few thousand feet above the ground. Think of it as a mix zone with snow, rain, and sleet. The closer you are to radar, the lower into the atmosphere the radar beam is hitting so it's seeing mostly same stuff again (which is sleet in this case).

Dualpol line has breached the outer 495 ring and midway to 128, ticking northeast

HRRRs have been a touch behind ground obs all afternoon...

Boston area flirting with and completing changeover 23z-0z. 3", maybe 4" in spots, should do it.

Yeah NAM schooled the other models here.

40 disco + 14+ obs pages of posts... in a more typical winter, this event would have received more like 20 total pages of posts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Yes, it has to do with the beam height. You're seeing "sleet line" at a certain distance away from the radar because it's where snow aloft is melting into rain and refreezing back as sleet few thousand feet above the ground. Think of it as a mix zone with snow, rain, and sleet. The closer you are to radar, the lower into the atmosphere the radar beam is hitting so it's seeing mostly same stuff again (which is sleet in this case).

Much better explanation than mine, but I was rushing to lock up my birds. ;)

Correlation has to do with the size and shape of the hydrometeors being sampled. A high correlation indicates precip with similar properties. Mixed precip will have different sizes and shapes (drops, flakes, etc) and will have a lower correlation (ie they don’t match up as well).