Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, wxextreme said:

I would be apt to say these numbers are inflated due to inherit issues within the modeling dynamics.  For one, the icing is (from my understanding) interpolated over time period and does not capture what happens during intermediate time steps.  

Not to mention, the upper air temperatures aloft have been in question as to how much warm air will be overrunning.  Because the thermal soundings are in question, the ice accumulation rate forecasts will be questionable at best.  I would expect these numbers to fall as modeling time intervals become more refined.  

For sure.  Model is just pointing out where it is .  I think it ends up N of there those as I can't by any appreciable icing at the coast occurring.

27 minutes ago, wxextreme said:

18Z NAM is bringing more sleet over Northern MA, which is interesting.  I'd be more apt to say with this profile that it would likely be switching back and forth.  There will be some fine details needed to be worked out before I start making definitive yes all snow or mixing in my neck of the woods (north of Fitchburg, MA).

nam_2019011818_045_42.73--71.58.png

We will be getting at least a few pingers

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I agree.  Any mid level fronto bands will Punch better snow growth too.  I could see a wide swath of 12-18".  13-15:1 ratios on 1" QPF.   But I bet any 700-850mb frontogenesis in NNE gets up to 20:1 ratios.

Maybe during the snowburst it's 20:1, but less likely for the whole event.  Since moving to Maine (46 years ago this coming Wednesday), I've measured exactly one storm of 10"+ that cracked the 20 mark, a low-wind featherbomb in Dec. 1981 (thus Ft. Kent) that produced 15.5" from just 0.68" LE, ratio 22.8.  Next highest was 18.3 from a similar storm when I lived in Gardiner, 13.9" from 0.76" LE in early Feb. 1993.  (Lesser storms are different.  I've twice gotten 4.5" of freaky flakes from 0.10" LE, once in BGR and once in Gardiner.)

Like the little BN hook on that 12/1-forward temp map, as it reaches my place where I'm -2 compared to my 21-year average.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I agree but I think the warmth aloft wins out for enough time for extended zr. These never go the opposite way so close in

I've seen them trend colder when you have a high there...2/2/15 did and so did 2/5/14.

Just now, wxextreme said:

If I went back to the beginning of this forum, I would believe we all would be looking at the Global models 5 days out, which I would argue is also equally as useless, but definitely worth the conversation.

Each model by itself it useless if you use that logic. 

It's the understanding, experience of failure, and application of experience to your own interpretation of model consensus that is paramount.

Ask yourself what model carries water at what stage. The HRRR is best used for short term <8hr nowcasting. And even then it can be quite inaccurate.