Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'd side with your logic.  There are a couple mitigating factors in my mind.  There is the background "winter" that we have been having in SNE that's been warmer then normal and we also don't have any snowpack to speak of in SNE which would have helped facilitate the SLP sliding along that denseer cold.

You have a dense cold airmass. Even if we had snow, it won’t effect things. That high is good enough to squeeze shit south. 

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This snow map is the same one it's shown for like 4 days now.

Euro does love the mid-level fronto up this way though.

IMG_1945.thumb.PNG.ba407bedf5f57627f2adb473d7c4ce5a.PNG

I like the fact that the QPF/snow totals ...even where it's unperturbed by warm bullshit aloft ... is now half of what it was three days ago. 

That cutting back on QPF was mentioned by ... eh hm, some of us, as concomitant with open waves in a progressive/compressed medium.  

That said, perhaps obfuscated by the fact that this system could and probably will ... still be anomalously rich, regardless.   So a couple of things happening there... Yes correction; yes anomaly.

16 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'd side with your logic.  There are a couple mitigating factors in my mind.  There is the background "winter" that we have been having in SNE that's been warmer then normal and we also don't have any snowpack to speak of in SNE which would have helped facilitate the SLP sliding along that denseer cold.

First of all, it hasn't been that warm.

Secondly, the fact that we have had next to no snow, and nothing for over two months, is a nod in favor of more snow from here on out...all else being equal. Especially considering ENSO..

Finally, snowpack is nice, but a strong, ideally placed nascent +pp of arctic origin should also provide the requisite resistance to preclude inland tracks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The ECWMF with ~0.8" of freezing rain in Hartford. 

Is that a product distribution or are we inferring that 'approximation' 

I'm asking because after front/wall snow burst... this thing's likely to be haulin' ass and I wonder if there's enough QPF for that much accretion - keeping in mind, the timing on change over is probably correct-able longer.  ... which might mitigate further. 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Is that a product distribution or are we inferring that 'approximation' 

I'm asking because after front/wall snow burst... this thing's likely to be haulin' ass and I wonder if there's enough QPF for that much accretion - keeping in mind, the timing on change over is probably correct-able toward protracted.  ... which might mitigate further. 

It's precipitation falling as ZR. You could lose half of it of course to run off. 

10 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

So you don't think having a snowpack would impact the surface track path at all or just minimally?

Honestly no. The Synoptics are what really drives the bus. It’s january too where the lack of snowpack really won’t hurt that much. I suppose I can’t say it won’t have zero impact, but I honestly think no snowpack doesn’t hurt. I mean as snow falls and accumulates  you are also adverting in colder air. So there is that. 

24 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Are we really having a warmer than normal winter? We definitely have less snow, but I attribute that to $hit pattern/bad luck than above normal temps... I remember warmer winters where we have had more snow by this point.

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Secondly, the fact that we have had next to no snow, and nothing for over two months, is a nod in favor of more snow from here on out...all else being equal. Especially considering ENSO..

Finally, snowpack is nice, but a strong, ideally placed nascent +pp of arctic origin should also provide the requisite resistance to preclude inland tracks.

Going in to today Bos was +3,5 for the month. And +2.6 for Dec. And as Eric Fisher pointed out there have been only 4 days since mid Jan last year that the temp has been under 30 for a high in Boston.  It hasn't been exactly cold either. 

2 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Are we really having a warmer than normal winter? We definitely have less snow, but I attribute that to $hit pattern/bad luck than above normal temps... I remember warmer winters where we have had more snow by this point.

It's warmer than normal so far, but not by a lot. ORH was +1.6 in December and is +1.7 so far in January (and that will fall considerably, below normal month is very likely)

You are correct, the unfortunate chaos in the pattern has cost us the snow much more than temps.

Just to poke the hornets here ... I almost think that the base-line is above normal do to incredible hockey stick GW that no one in here admits is really and happening because it may admit to cutting some day into snow chances for their grandkids...

haha

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thanks for the response.

The last 2 months(60 days) have averaged 0-2F above normal, so I'll concede that my point was not more concise when I said "warm".  I meant relative to climo.

I agree that we are at peak climo for snow for the next 30 days so you'd think that kicks in at some point.  I'm just not sure this year is behaving like your typical weak ENSO state

To the last point, I'm talking track deviations of 20-30 miles at most wrt to snow pack influences.  Probably not even measurable to the impacts of the pressing high.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Just to poke the hornets here ... I almost think that the base-line is above normal do to incredible hockey stick GW that no one in here admits is really and happening because it may admit to cutting some day into snow chances for their grandkids...

haha

I long ago accepted that  GW is happening. It is near impossible to not accept it.  JB is one of the last remaining deniers.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

haha

All joking aside, I'm 40 and I feel that my adult life has been much snowier than my childhood ever was.  And I've been interested in weather since a very young age.  If the cause is cyclical, or GW, there's definitely been a difference in the last 20 years, especially with the number bigger storms of 12+... Of course this observation is anecdotal and judged by my location in RI...

14 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

It's precipitation falling as ZR. You could lose half of it of course to run off. 

Yeah I guess I was asking and commenting simultaneously.. heh.. 

So it sound interpretive but it's probably obvious/not a hard interpretation. Got it. 

As to the accretion part of that... right - that's also mitigating.   I just don't envy y'all that gotta go in front of hundreds of thousands of assholes that can't wait to point things out when things don't go right... during a scenario that is guaranteed not to for any number of them.  

good luck! 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's warmer than normal so far, but not by a lot. ORH was +1.6 in December and is +1.7 so far in January (and that will fall considerably, below normal month is very likely)

You are correct, the unfortunate chaos in the pattern has cost us the snow much more than temps.

The Northeast Regional Climate Center released this graphic earlier this month showing the Dec 1 - Jan 15 departures from normal showing a slight deviation from normal temperatures. 

mid-winter tdpt map

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I like the fact that the QPF/snow totals ...even where it's unperturbed by warm bullshit aloft ... is now half of what it was three days ago. 

That cutting back on QPF was mentioned by ... eh hm, some of us, as concomitant with open waves in a progressive/compressed medium.  

That said, perhaps obfuscated by the fact that this system could and probably will ... still be anomalously rich, regardless.   So a couple of things happening there... Yes correction; yes anomaly.

I am just happy it is still showing 4 to 5 along the SW CT coast WEST of HVN.

3 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

All joking aside, I'm 40 and I feel that my adult life has been much snowier than my childhood ever was.  And I've been interested in weather since a very young age.  If the cause is cyclical, or GW, there's definitely been a difference in the last 20 years, especially with the number bigger storms of 12+... Of course this observation is anecdotal and judged by my location in RI...

You would not be mistaken with that feel - it is empirical over about the last four decades to be just that.   I believe the top five snowiest winters of all time have been sprayed along the last 30 years and most winters have been above the 100 years mean in that range. 

Will is the stat king with seasonal snow variance so .. Will?  

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

haha

I'd be surprised if the majority here were climate deniers