• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews

Light Snow Event - 1/17-1/18 Obs and Discussion

2 minutes ago, Beachin said:

I had 4.7 to be exact but I can care less what happens down there. 

Northern MD will do good with the storm this weekend too 

writing-hand-emoji-by-google.png.4b755d3c81c14050cdf1cfddc67378a7.png

• Like 1

Well this thread got weird.  Anywho, just got in from a work event and was surprised to see sidestreets getting snow covered around here.  Love seeing the trees getting a refresh of snow.  Overperformer in my book but I'm an optimist and Beachin' said this snow doesn't count for me. :( 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I think that guy is still here but made a new account. Rhymes with kitchen

No way?!?! Really?!?! NEMD amped and pummeled is that you?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, snjókoma said:

I hereby withdraw my support for northern MD to get snow this winter. sorry folks, one bad apple ruins the pie. 

Says the one who was annoying AF last weekend 

Just now, nj2va said:

Well this thread got weird.  Anywho, just got in from a work event and was surprised to see sidestreets getting snow covered around here.  Love seeing the trees getting a refresh of snow.  Overperformer in my book but I'm an optimist and Beachin' said this snow doesn't count for me. :( 

I put my "ground floor" at .2" so I would be happy with hitting 1' on the year. The extra 0.95" of snow since has been gravy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Beachin said:

Says the one who was annoying AF last weekend 

Please stop. There’s some bad juju up in here, you’re ruining any chance we had.

• Like 2

Just now, yoda said:

Arlington county schools 2 hr delay tomorrow 

Arlington the new Fauquier? Only DC area school system closed Tuesday too.

Radar looks surprisingly good to the west and SW. I'm under very light returns and it's still a nice steady light snow. 

Just now, yoda said:

Arlington county schools 2 hr delay tomorrow 

ever since I got out of APS they've been the wimpiest school district in the area. they've been 2-hour delayed since 6:00pm today I think.

fyi, for those who want to know why, they literally had a policy change because of the mid-November storm where they screwed the pooch. Now any snow pretty much at all means they preemptively 2-hour delay.

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

I put my "ground floor" at .2" so I would be happy with hitting 1' on the year. The extra 0.95" of snow since has been gravy. 

Yeah man, I love these small "unexpected" events that we don't incessantly track for 2 weeks.  Great stats padder and nice to look outside at.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, das said:

I’ll banter a bit since we’re in the lull. It’s been a good 20 years in Clarksburg. While further up Parr’s Ridge near @mappyand @psuhoffman certainly do better, it’s been amazingly consistent how often Clarksburg is the high total in the DC (actual) metro area. It’s a great combo of just enough elevation on the ridge, just far enough east so it’s out of the lee shadow of the Appalachians, just low enough to be below CAD inversions and my place is in a depression on NE facing hill so I get cold air drainage into the area and lower sun so the ground stays cold relative to the surrounding areas and I catch every possible flake. It’s like my own tiny microclimate version of the Canaan Valley. 

Alternately, my place in Vermont where I am spending my weekends now is the exact opposite. I live in the absolute least snowy area in the entire state. It’s so weird to track and report the (relatively) low total when everyone else is “cashing in” around me. Quite the juxtaposition. 

Let me know if you need help reporting low totals; I have 8 years experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

ever since I got out of APS they've been the wimpiest school district in the area. they've been 2-hour delayed since 6:00pm today I think.

fyi, for those who want to know why, they literally had a policy change because of the mid-November storm where they screwed the pooch. Now any snow pretty much at all means they preemptively 2-hour delay.

This.  In November they had a regular day when they should have closed.  Roads were a mess, buses were crashing, etc.  Now the new policy is to call a delay the night before so they can reassess in the morning whether to close.  

12 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I've got .5" down in Charlottesville, which is pretty much the south, and I've got the best returns in the area right now. Might make a run at 1". 

Got 0.5” over in Stafford too, may make a run at 1” as well. Not sure what just happens in the thread, but Radar looks great between Fredericksburg and Charlottesville.

Just now, jaydreb said:

This.  In November they had a regular day when they should have closed.  Roads were a mess, buses were crashing, etc.  Now the new policy is to call a delay the night before so they can reassess in the morning whether to close.  

I bet that policy will change again when they're forced to call nine delays in February and March...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

Got 0.5” over in Stafford too, may make a run at 1” as well. Not sure what that guy is seeing. Radar looks great between Fredericksburg and Charlottesville.

yep. I've got some yellows in this band according to RadarScope. gonna go take a jebwalk.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

I hereby withdraw my support for northern MD to get snow this winter. sorry folks, one bad apple ruins the pie. 

So you're stooping down to his level now. Congrats!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Beachin, seriously, just cut it out. We all want snow, but living north of other people doesn't make you better, nor does it mean you'll get more snow every winter.

• Like 1