Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

3 hours ago, cut said:

Tip - you had posited that there maybe a 'snap to' effect as the models are slow to react to the paradigm shift at first but then there is a tipping point (ha - tipping point - that's funny) at which they correct quickly - we seeing that?

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ha!  just go with John. Typhoon Tip is a big storm of historic significance. I can think of worse social media aliases if it's any help.  Although ...I have been called "tampon tip" before by those that hate me for whatever reason they can conjure that sates their will to do so... Which I actually give a lot of credit to for styling? Sometimes Sophomoric shenanigans can impulse a chortle.  I mean, we used to call this poor coke-bottle spectacled girl "Hubble" in high school... I can just imagine some hapless Vietnamese kids named Tip being called tampon... Heh, kids.  

Um yeah I do ...remember those statements. I don't recall whether that was in an ongoing conversation, or if it was in one of those morning arm-chair quarter backing weather diatribes that I compose because I am actually attempting to physical cause discomfort in the heads of my readers... 

Just kidding, I think Will and I were discussing that possibility. That it may hold out and then collapse toward the new paradigm.  It could be that? sure... We need more time. I'd like to see some consistency,...as well as multi- sourced agreement.  I don't get to see the EPS ... what happened with that last night?  

I mean it's not a wild stretch to think that observable features could radically shift a model forecast. I'm thinking more in the case of a consistently modeled feature that turns out to be in error, or a consistent bias. 

Like if the Euro was dead set on a low amplitude MJO wave in phase 6, but the reality is a large amplitude wave in 7, you could see a big shift in modeling. Another could be wave breaking that was or wasn't forecast properly. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean it's not a wild stretch to think that observable features could radically shift a model forecast. I'm thinking more in the case of a consistently modeled feature that turns out to be in error, or a consistent bias. 

Like if the Euro was dead set on a low amplitude MJO wave in phase 6, but the reality is a large amplitude wave in 7, you could see a big shift in modeling. Another could be wave breaking that was or wasn't forecast properly. 

Huge ridging changes out west leading to a colder solution and a potential miller B snowstorm threat.

47 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I like Ekster's GYX discussion.  And I like the idea of 2 moderate snowfalls in a 36 hour period with no significant wind.  Will be fun to walk in, look at, and my long driveway up the hill won't be constantly drifted over....

That’s where this is going, More towards a 2 day event with a lull in between.

That is my absolute favorite kind of event outside of a 2’ mauling blizzard.  Reminds me of mid to late December 2008. Snow and then very light light snow for a day and then more snow. That one gave over 2 feet so I’m not expecting that but 6 to 12 or maybe a bit more seems very doable and will be a great three days

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

As long as it’s not going toward the xmas eve event , which part 1 appears to be doing for sne

MLs look cold enough for most of SNE to see some snow C-3” for part 1. In fact, the MLs don’t go above 0C until most of the precip exits on the GFS.  Unsure about the BL. Probably torchy with lighter rates. I bet ASH scores a couple. 

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

MLs look cold enough for most of SNE to see some snow C-3” for part 1. In fact, the MLs don’t go above 0C until most of the precip exits on the GFS.  Unsure about the BL. Probably torchy with lighter rates. I bet ASH scores a couple. 

Trends are the key in the guidance this afternoon and evening, watch out west, the +PNA ridging out west is getting better and better on latest guidance.

11 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

As long as it’s not going toward the xmas eve event , which part 1 appears to be doing for sne

You need to move.  Models starting to pick up another sneaky event up this way on Sunday with several inches possible for the mountains.  

You'd love it up here.  The Stowe mom's would love you too...they work out excessively every day and drink wine while the husbands make them money in NYC or Boston.  

Maybe another 3-6" 'er for the slopes on Sunday?

IMG_1776.thumb.PNG.18adc4626bb4ff52752410465f98ce32.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You need to move.  Models starting to pick up another sneaky event up this way on Sunday with several inches possible for the mountains.  

You'd love it up here.  The Stowe mom's would love you too...they work out excessively every day and drink wine while the husbands make them money in NYC or Boston.  

Maybe another 3-6" 'er for the slopes on Sunday?

IMG_1776.thumb.PNG.18adc4626bb4ff52752410465f98ce32.PNG

Scott that is your most inspiring post

put in a good word at top notch lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

C-3”? 

Looks like nothing really but light crap for late Monday nite /tues am on 12z models unless you can find me something .

i have zero faith currently in backside energy doing much Wednesday BUT I haven’t looked at things ,if the Atlantic traffic has slowed down and the models can bring this to day it will be A LOT more serious 

the best news so far is the mid range Models looking more promising , at mid month imo. That look is what I want to see stick bc Monday nite is going going gone like a Ortiz bomb

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Scott that is your most inspiring post

put in a good word at top notch lol

I'm telling you, private trainer making house calls around here.... this is no three-tooth zone.  It's like a small Boston suburb dropped into the mountains in terms of affluence and looks, which is also why a lot of Vermont doesn't consider Stowe part of the same state.  Heck, right now I'm trying to find Jonathon Papelbon to give him his gloves back.  Guy is hilarious.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm telling you, private trainer making house calls around here.... this is no three-tooth zone.  It's like a small Boston suburb dropped into the mountains in terms of affluence and looks, which is also why a lot of Vermont doesn't consider Stowe part of the same state.  

How seasonable is that house wife / workout niche clientele thou 

and yes I would be in heaven would never have to deal with what I beleive is just unacceptable Snow climo. Ppl accept it bc they have no choice but it’s tons of suckage that makes you appreciate the good storms here more and the special years more. F that. Gimme guaranteed snow every couple days and constant snow cover and moose farts that still surprise the best forecasting tools available and turn a 1-3” into 8-12” every year 

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

and yes I would be in heaven would never have to deal with what I beleive is just unacceptable Snow climo. Ppl accept it bc they have no choice but it’s tons of suckage that makes you appreciate the good storms here more and the special years more. F that. Gimme guaranteed snow every couple days and constant snow cover and moose farts that still surprise the best forecasting tools available and turn a 1-3” into 8-12” every year 

That ridging out west needs to be watched, it is the key to our Monday night/Tuesday event.

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

C-3”? 

Looks like nothing really but light crap for late Monday nite /tues am on 12z models unless you can find me something .

i have zero faith currently in backside energy doing much Wednesday BUT I haven’t looked at things ,if the Atlantic traffic has slowed down and the models can bring this to day it will be A LOT more serious 

the best news so far is the mid range Models looking more promising , at mid month imo. That look is what I want to see stick bc Monday nite is going going gone like a Ortiz bomb

Maybe I’m wearing weenie goggles, but that 18z GFS depiction isn’t nearly bad as your post makes it out to be. Most models at 12z we’re an inch or two to the Pike and a few north of the Pike. 

15 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

When I lived in Ithaca and it snowed like every other day, it became unbearable after a while. I was starving for big synoptic storms after a couple months and I'll I get was currier and Ives crap that gave like 1-3". 

Granted, at least Stowe gets those bigger synoptic storms way more frequently but even the 8" LES events seemed so fake...I'd sneeze and the walkway would be clear. 

18 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

You’re gonna get shot one of these days making a “house call.”

• Haha 8

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic