Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah that defintiely has some nice TVA (Tip Vorticity Advection) like the Ukie. 

Yeah, the Ukie may have snuck out for a few beers on the magnitude, but the general idea wasn't far off. If we can get everything just a shade south, then we're probably talking a pretty decent event. As is though, round two is solid advisory for interior as heights all crash (coast may have BL issues, but eventually it flips there too).

I'm actually surprised the Euro came this far in this particular run cycle... I mean some, sure... But 120 to 132 hours E of Chicago longitude is tantamount to not yet in the Euro's wheelhouse... One thing I've noticed about the Euro is that it's stubborn in the latter middle range and if it changes it usually waits until 108 hours.   This ...sort of beats that ...maybe the emerging signal is louder in the background numerical physics... possible - sure. 

I wonder if tonight's run ...well, 1 am ... rolls in more ominous.  Then, we deal with two days of back off...  melt-downs...  bi-polar swings on every run ...before they all come back on Monday with a blizzard. 

kidding of course. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The longer range Euro is starting to look a lot more like El Nino...we are getting rid of that pumped up SE/Gulf ridge and losing the excessive geopotential gradient in the south.

Ding ding...  

Perhaps the ridge and the gradient are one in the same...  but, that velocity saturation in the rest wind between S/W is like snake venom in the punch bowl man

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ding ding...  

Perhaps the ridge and the gradient are one in the same...  but, that velocity saturation in the rest wind between S/W is like snake venom in the punch bowl man

Yeah...and it's helping next weekend's threat too....you can see how much more relaxed the gradient is down south on this panel.....versus the 120 hour threat.

Jan4_12zEuro192.png

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah...and it's helping next weekend's threat too....you can see how much more relaxed the gradient is down south on this panel.....versus the 120 hour threat.

Jan4_12zEuro192.png

Wow ... dude!!!!!!!

hey I spoke about that ... the parafubar model of the GFS was tantalizing close to a subsume/1978 deal but just missed the players by two seconds in the revolving door.  This is really... amazing as a trend and YES... 

the flow sort of organically relaxed in the S, allows the western heights --> downstream trough carving to get down there... It's soooo awesome to feel this vindication in the models - I've been trying to explain this for years but my own articulation is anyway, that's going to extrapolate favorably there

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm actually surprised the Euro came this far in this particular run cycle... I mean some, sure... But 120 to 132 hours E of Chicago longitude is tantamount to not yet in the Euro's wheelhouse... One thing I've noticed about the Euro is that it's stubborn in the latter middle range and if it changes it usually waits until 108 hours.   This ...sort of beats that ...maybe the emerging signal is louder in the background numerical physics... possible - sure. 

I wonder if tonight's run ...well, 1 am ... rolls in more ominous.  Then, we deal with two days of back off...  melt-downs...  bi-polar swings on every run ...before they all come back on Monday with a blizzard. 

kidding of course. 

Tip - you had posited that there maybe a 'snap to' effect as the models are slow to react to the paradigm shift at first but then there is a tipping point (ha - tipping point - that's funny) at which they correct quickly - we seeing that?

18 minutes ago, cut said:

Tip - you had posited that there maybe a 'snap to' effect as the models are slow to react to the paradigm shift at first but then there is a tipping point (ha - tipping point - that's funny) at which they correct quickly - we seeing that?

Ha!  just go with John. Typhoon Tip is a big storm of historic significance. I can think of worse social media aliases if it's any help.  Although ...I have been called "tampon tip" before by those that hate me for whatever reason they can conjure that sates their will to do so... Which I actually give a lot of credit to for styling? Sometimes Sophomoric shenanigans can impulse a chortle.  I mean, we used to call this poor coke-bottle spectacled girl "Hubble" in high school... I can just imagine some hapless Vietnamese kids named Tip being called tampon... Heh, kids.  

Um yeah I do ...remember those statements. I don't recall whether that was in an ongoing conversation, or if it was in one of those morning arm-chair quarter backing weather diatribes that I compose because I am actually attempting to physical cause discomfort in the heads of my readers... 

Just kidding, I think Will and I were discussing that possibility. That it may hold out and then collapse toward the new paradigm.  It could be that? sure... We need more time. I'd like to see some consistency,...as well as multi- sourced agreement.  I don't get to see the EPS ... what happened with that last night?  

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s the one our centre has been eyeing on, buckle up girls. 

Spin that second shortwave up and force the weekend one underneath. By then there should be some blocking to help it along with some cold air to work with....Looks good from here, sadly 9 days to go south (figuratively of literally)...

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ha!  just go with John. Typhoon Tip is a big storm of historic significance. I can think of worse social media aliases if it's any help.  Although ...I have been called "tampon tip" before by those that hate me for whatever reason they can conjure that sates their will to do so... Which I actually give a lot of credit to for styling? Sometimes Sophomoric shenanigans can impulse of chortle.  I mean, we used to call this poor coke-bottle spectacled girl "Hubble" in high school... I can just imagine some hapless Vietnamese kids named Tip being called tampon... Heh, kids.  

Um yeah I do ...remember those statements. I don't recall whether that was in an ongoing conversation, or if it was in one of those morning arm-chair quarter backing weather diatribes that I compose because I am actually attempting to physical cause discomfort in the heads of my readers... 

Just kidding, I think Will and I were discussing that possibility. That it may hold out and then collapse toward the new paradigm.  I could be that? sure... We need more time. I'd like to see some consistency,...as well as multi- sourced agreement.  I don't get to see the EPS ... what happened with that last night?  

EPS mean is showing an increase in storm signal for the 12/13th of January.

3 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Mjo in 8

...sort of ... 

The MJO doesn't cause a storm?   ... I mean, not that you are saying so, but, this sort of dead panned reply to a specific storm potential sounds like it :) 

anyway, as discussed amply ... the MJO is an augmenter.  It can contribute and help bolster a pattern where/when storms would be conducive... but that's no where close to doing it on its own.  

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You know it's been a slow start to winter when Will is ogling day 8-10 OP runs.  Not something you see posted every day ;).  

I actually don't think the Euro has had a single huge storm for SNE even in clown range this year...pretty amazing. Here it is......lol

Jan4_12zEuro234.png

• Like 2

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic