Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm surprised the CPC teleconnectors are not more elaborate ... They're not 'bad' but given to a favorable MJO, and as of last known coordinates ... a coherently propagating SSW (is that still the case?) ..one may think the present complexion leaves something to be desired. 

The AO is < 0 SD in most/all members... .There's spread there, but less spread, which means the perturbation of the various GEFs members are/is lowering in the ability to compensate for the AO signal...  which is code for a strengthening one ...  

That may be why we are in part seeing a tendency in the MJO across the panoply of variant guidance types .. to subtly strengthen in Phase 8 ...because there is a correlation between 8-1 and -AOs... 

should excite a global mean/duration of enhanced easterly H-cell trades through the 50 to 60th .... agar for cyclones ... Man, this is optimistic this morning but more legit. 

Great for a Friday!

I'm sure this will be met with a resounding 86 appeal... and perhaps justifiably so... but it's comical how different the 84 hour NAM is wrt to the eastern Ontario/western Quebec high pressure compared to the other global models. 

Heh... I think in a twist ... the operationAl Euro agreeing with the GFS re that pressure pattern layout on the giggedy side of the Euro's wheel-house that would have to be a neat trick by the NAM.  

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks meager and more of a CNE/NNE deal next week. Could be some snow to start down by the pike or so, but weak sauce overall.

In other words, another one bites the dust for down here...it was always thread the needle here anyways. Too weak not good, too strong not good. Next

Just now, WinterWolf said:

This is a weak POS...that's what this is based on.    I can see you've learned nothing from your Xmas eve debacle.    

This is def stronger than Xmas Eve...but that isn't saying much. I wouldnt even throw accums out there right now since it is still 4 days out. Most guidance has prob 2-4 N of pike and 1-2 south.

21 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

There's a bit a high wind signal in the synoptic evolution of the pressure pattern changes over Sunday's daylight hours. 

We see a curved flow extending west from the escaping coastal system, which sort of retards some momentum at first, but ...nearing 18z, ...that bulge/lag goes away ...replaced by  a compressed pressure gradient as illustrated.  Dam burst ...  That combined with CAA destablization and diurnal heating also adding a vertical component ...the "momentum mixing" thing enhances that further. 

Almost like a smear isollabaric acceleration... albeit ill-defined but there could be some mighty turbine roars going over the tree canopies around 2 to 3pm Sunday. 

I wonder what the wind products at NWS look like -

While not going into the details that you did, one of the Boston area mets this morning was hitting the wind on Sunday 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is def stronger than Xmas Eve...but that isn't saying much. I wouldnt even throw accums out there right now since it is still 4 days out. Most guidance has prob 2-4 N of pike and 1-2 south.

The dude just doesn’t get it. Let him go . Couple south of 90 to ice and a few north of 90. Anyone here should be excited 

• Haha 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

The dude just doesn’t get it. Let him go . Couple south of 90 to ice and a few north of 90. Anyone here should be excited 

Agree 100%

I think some are letting the past dictate the future.  The seasonal trend is for marginal events to trend worse in the final hours leading up to the event.  Maybe that's why some people's expectations are skewed toward nonevent.  

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

The ice threat has been diminishing since we're not really getting any sfc reflection south of SNE....this is basically a WAA burst of precip and then it's done. If the vort trends back to making its way across the delmarva, then we may see the heavier precip and ice threat increase again...but it's not really showing that right now. We'd need something like the 12z Euro from yesterday,

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

While not going into the details that you did, one of the Boston area mets this morning was hitting the wind on Sunday 

yeah and NWS is allover it ...

"

Sunday...

Blustery NW winds behind a departing storm system, there is the
threat of gusts exceeding 45 mph requiring wind related headlines."
  • Like 1

Boy ...there's really time to evolve that into something more... 

I almost suggest if the modeling stops focusing on the lead impulse and the IB burst thing as sweeper, and starts putting more emphasis on that/those trailing mechanics ... that region from the MA/NE should watch that. 

At 120 hours (...yeah, like "day five" hello -) there is tendency to quasi close the 500 mb surface over NE ...central new England axis point... It sort of slowly melon balls it's way down another 15 or so DM over the ensuing 12 to 18 hours, while an impressive momentum fluxes into the southwest part of the trough. 

It's 120 kts at 500 mb in the negative slope of the total L/W space!! That's hard to do... There's a lot there feeding into the bottom of that trough and at 120+ hours, there's time to modulate that toward some form of more purer N/stream and/or NJ model ordeal. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Boy ...there's really time to evolve that into something more... 

I almost suggest if the modeling stops focusing on the lead impulse and the IB burst thing as sweeper, and starts putting more emphasis on that/those trailing mechanics ... that region from the MA/NE should watch that. 

At 120 hours (...yeah, like "day five" hello -) there is tendency to quasi close the 500 mb surface over NE ...central new England axis point... It sort of slowly melon balls it's way down another 15 or so DM over the ensuing 12 to 18 hours, while an impressive momentum fluxes into the southwest part of the trough. 

It's 120 kts at 500 mb in the negative slope of the total L/W space!! That's hard to do... There's a lot there feeding into the bottom of that trough and at 120+ hours, there's time to modulate that toward some form of more purer N/stream and/or NJ model ordeal. 

Talk dirty!!!

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic