Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

You might be right..though this was actually more like Jan 4-5th...about D15. Maybe it's totally unrelated...because you're right that the tropospheric lag would def be more toward mid january. Though I'm not totally well-versed in this enough to say that if we are getting something historical that we wouldn't see the response be a little faster. Maybe that doesn't matter. 

Yeah ...I mean, things can certainly (and probably will actually...) break more in line with what folks want ...without the SSW - to which, D15 is too soon for down-well --> -AO response.  Next August ... set coffee down some Saturday morning, crack open the forum, and there it is: a 20 post dialogue stream about how the " ... SSW roared in early January earlier this year" despite all truths and consequences.

I sort of tried to allude to this in this thread's opening, re the stuff about how the SSW's effect may collocate in time with warm ENSO (if this sucker ever even gets around to it...) statistics for back ending winter.  The two are likely to get confused if other factors change things prior to the SSW.

Natural tendency for people to rush things ... particularly, to get through a frustrating pattern episode - to which ...who would argue? heh.  But, we haven't seen the onset of the SE ridge associated with the negative PNA /MJO handshake - if that's not breaking down in its own rite.  

Whole 'nother headache: that could happen, we could miss out as warm enthusiasts just the same, do to the over-top high pressure routine.  I was trying to be careful not to doom the rest of December but I'm sure that's the perception in the absence of champaign 30" deep.

• Like 1

Euro weeklies have been doing pretty well recently. They predicted the relaxation/AK vortex in December from week 3/4. We were hoping they were wrong but the writing was already starting to be on the wall on the ensembles at D15. This is similar. The writing for week 3 is starting to show up at the end of the ensembles so there's some support there. Doesn't mean it can't change but you'd probably bet it that way. 

Typically when there's a big shift from week 3 to week 4 is when I'm a lot more skeptical. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Some big changes next week on the GFS. That s/w that causes the low to cut west, digs farther south is just seems a bit weaker. Thus, a more SWFE and cooler solution for now. To me, the massive ULL SW of Greenland almost forces this to not amplify. 

And the confluence to the north

6 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

And the confluence to the north

Changes were evident early on. On the 18z GFS, you can see the s/w kissing the CA coast causing the main s/w near Denver to start moving NE at hr 150. At hr 144 on the 00z GFS, these two systems are much farther apart. As a result, the first and parent s/w dives well south and is not allowed to amp up as much due to confluence. Because it can't amplify, it's taken to the grinder. Not sure if it is right or not. Hopefully it is.