Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

The Euro tends to overamp and overcut everything beyond day 5 ever since its upgrade a few years ago.  Don’t forget the EPS majority members Just 4/5 days ago showed more or less a SER on 25-27 which now won’t come close to verifying 

Which would make sense and lean more towards the GFS solution, but yeah give it 6-12 hours for another version.

Euro ensembles sending the PV into Hudson Bay by the end of the run. Def seems the beginnings of displacement are happening...the really huge effects are prob not felt until well into January. But the PAC is looking pretty strong already by New Years...even looks like Atlantic wants to play ball a little too. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

buy Buy Buy, base economy is rocking, end of year selloffs and short sellers.

Buying the dips has worked last several years but the greater system is on Shaky ground. We are also below important support levels best to be defensive and see what unfolds short term. Hoping fed engineers a way to kick the can 

high clouds rolling in, big big rains on way 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s getting interesting for first time in years....keep assets levitated or crisis and maybe a re-set

Agreed. Glad to be positioned in cash/short here, even if I was a bit early. Potential for multi-year bust with no China to come to the rescue this time...Anyway, glad to see glimmers of hope continuing in the modeling. Things are certainly looking up on the winter front.

34 minutes ago, kdxken said:

And the remainder of the year was god-awful cold as well . Last year's cold spell was the only thing close . 

Yeah that was brutal, drove down to the ocean and the steam off the water was nuts.                                                                                                                                                                      I think my high was 6*

• Like 1

1983 Christmas was pretty impressive cold. Not quite same level as 1980 but single digit high temps. '83 actually has the record low max for the 25th because 1980 had cheap midnight highs around 10...but the daytime high was like 0F with epic biting wind, lol. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Meh. It's ok looking. It is pretty slow which is bad...speed that thing up a bit so it is timed well with the confluence in Quebec. 

Definitely baggy mean SLP, but the KFS definitely overestimated the secondary development. It looks like 20% of the EPS members actually have the lowest pressure on or off the coast (some don't even have an event in that window). 

36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

12z GFS FV3 has a more SWFE look to it. And Dear God...Santa brought us some new tools for Pivotal Weather. Awesome we can get so many soundings now.

I know right? No more having to rely solely on NCEP temp profiles. I saw this on TT too. Levi must be getting bored. Upper level Q-vector divergence, stream function, and irrotational wind. lol

283765EF-352B-4259-98B3-EBC00CC292A8.png

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I know right? No more having to rely solely on NCEP temp profiles. I saw this on TT too. Levi must be getting bored. Upper level Q-vector divergence, stream function, and irrotational wind. lol

283765EF-352B-4259-98B3-EBC00CC292A8.png

LOL, yeah. Unfortunately not a lot of operational value there..but good weenie stuff.

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Irrotational is going to be my new crutch word in the AFD.

If you look at it hemispherically and want to see how things like tropical cyclones enhance the jet, it actually adds some value.  Stuff like that is cool. I know a  met at BOX who probably would love to use that word.. :whistle:

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro ensembles sending the PV into Hudson Bay by the end of the run. Def seems the beginnings of displacement are happening...the really huge effects are prob not felt until well into January. But the PAC is looking pretty strong already by New Years...even looks like Atlantic wants to play ball a little too. 

Heh... I'd be careful of that... It's getting improperly applied, the SSW ... Unless you mean for different reason- okay.

But,

one ... we're not even sure this is a propagating SSW ...vs just a typical high stratosphere static warm node. They tend to fire off and decay inside of days... most of which don't down-well.  This one? It may be propagating, but ...I don't know if the models are actually showing that at this time. In fact, my experience is that these models rarely do; it may be something that's more observed if/when that happens.

two. .. which is critical in the -AO forcing statistics... 

finally three ..., there really is at minimum at two to three week lag correlation...

Putting all those three SSW model aspects together, I don't (personally) see so how anything any model is doing inside of 10 days really is related to that.

What I like is that the teleconnectors, at least the GEF ones, are unstable.  Because the look three days ago was so f'ing ludicrously bad that anything different simply has to be better :) ha  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Heh... I'd be careful of that... It's getting improperly applied, the SSW ... Unless you mean for different reason- okay.

But,

one ... we're not even sure this is a propagating SSW ...vs just a typical high stratosphere static warm node. They tend to fire off and decay inside of days... most of which don't down-well.  This one? It may be propagating, but ...I don't know if the models are actually showing that at this time. In fact, my experience is that these models rarely do; it may be something that's more observed if/when that happens.

two. .. which is critical in the -AO forcing statistics... 

finally three ..., there really is at minimum at two to three week lag correlation...

Putting all those three SSW model aspects together, I don't (personally) see so how anything any model is doing inside of 10 days really is related to that.

What I like is that the teleconnectors, at least the GEF ones, are unstable.  Because the look three days ago was so f'ing ludicrously bad that anything different simply has to be better :) ha  

You might be right..though this was actually more like Jan 4-5th...about D15. Maybe it's totally unrelated...because you're right that the tropospheric lag would def be more toward mid january. Though I'm not totally well-versed in this enough to say that if we are getting something historical that we wouldn't see the response be a little faster. Maybe that doesn't matter. 

• Like 1