Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, FRWEATHA said:

Yep. I thought so. That was a heartbreaker here. The Megalopolis storm on the other hand was forecast to go out to sea after hitting the MA and eventually made its way up here.

Sorry FR...I always thought the 83 storm was PD1.  

I was only 10 in 79...and being that it missed up in SNE, that’s why I don’t remember it.  

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Ok then lol...I stand corrected.  Thanks for chiming in.   Then the 83 storm I’m thinking of was another one..which hit SNE hard..and I was always thinking that was PD 1.  

You learn something new everyday!!

83 was basically the exact setup as December 2009 displaced about 60-80 miles further northwest.  Both were more or less non phased shortwaves that amplified due to a favorable upstream ridge and subsequent downstream pattern.  You could argue a subtle southern stream shortwave phased in with the 09 storm but the system probably would have been big even without it.  83 was believed to have had some type of gravity wave which led to the thunder and insane amounts in EPA/N NJ and NYC

Sorry FR...I always thought the 83 storm was PD1.  

I was only 10 in 79...and being thstvit missed up in SNE, that’s why I don’t remember it.  

Well I was  12 and was a newly minted “weenie” following the blizzard of 78. I have a pretty good memory after that event. Really b/c interested in wx after that epoch storm.

9 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

You don't have wills photographic memory.

Not quite like his, no lol.

But I have a pretty good memory of the big ones I lived through as a kid, and when they occurred. 

I got the 79 PD 1 wrong cuz it didn’t make it up here, and so I Dont remember it...and thought that the Feb 83 storm was nicknamed PD1. Glad I know now that it wasn’t. 

I believe Will is too young to remember the late 70’s and early 80’s snow storms...but he does his research, and speaks of them as if he lived through those... if I’m correct in thinking that Will is 40 yrs old or less???  

23 minutes ago, FRWEATHA said:

Well I was  12 and was a newly minted “weenie” following the blizzard of 78. I have a pretty good memory after that event. Really b/c interested in wx after that epoch storm.

Same here.   Basically that whole 78 winter for me too.   

A couple weeks before the blizzard of 78, we had a big one too..a good 12 plus incher hit.  Our am radio station that we listened to(still listen to it today tooWTIC 1080 am) which used the “travelers weather service” back then, used to name the storms(along with a local TV station WFSB 3), and the storm before the blizzard was storm Jerry, and then the blizzard was storm Larry.  I’m pretty sure it was a CT thing, but it was cool when you’re a young kid.  

Same here.   Basically that whole 78 winter for me too.   

A couple weeks before the bluzzard of 78, we had a big one too..a good 12 plus incher hit.  Our am radio station that we listened to(still listen to it today tooWTIC 1080 am) which used the “travelers weather service” back then, used to name the storms(along with a local TV station WFSB 3), and the storm before the blizzard was storm Jerry, and then the blizzard was storm Larry.  I’m pretty sure it was a CT thing, but it was cool when you’re a young kid.  

The “big one” you’re referring to is the late Jan storm. It was Boston’s biggest snowfall before being eclipsed only a few weeks later. I remember that one too very well. B/t that one and the Feb 5-7 blizzard was the OV “bomb”. Started here as snow and quickly changed to a windswept rain.

4 minutes ago, FRWEATHA said:

The “big one” you’re referring to is the late Jan storm. It was Boston’s biggest snowfall before being eclipsed only a few weeks later. I remember that one too very well. B/t that one and the Feb 5-7 blizzard was the OV “bomb”. Started here as snow and quickly changed to a windswept rain.

Wasnt the New England Blizzard of 78  Feb 5 or 6th??  How could it be the same as the Ohio valley bomb?  Or I misunderstood your post??

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah that destroyed the 15-20" that fell from the Jan storm in a lot of areas, esp coastal areas. 

Yep. It destroyed the pack but for the piles. 2/4/78 was a beautiful, calm day. I tried to be mindful about the wx then b/c when it all went down I wanted to remember what happened and what led up to it since it was obvious that I had lived through something historic.

32 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Not quite like his, no lol.

But I have a pretty good memory of the big ones I lived through as a kid, and when they occurred. 

I got the 79 PD 1 wrong cuz it didn’t make it up here, and so I Dont remember it...and thought that the Feb 83 storm was nicknamed PD1. Glad I know now that it wasn’t. 

I believe Will is too young to remember the late 70’s and early 80’s snow storms...but he does his research, and speaks of them as if he lived through those... if I’m correct in thinking that Will is 40 yrs old or less???  

I think Wills 103 but he looks much younger

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Feb of 13 here eclipsed the 78 blizzard in snow amounts (33 inches in 13), but I have yet to see in my lifetime, a blizzard with such immense drifts as 1978!!  The duration/intensity of the wind, and the drifting was unreal in 78!! It’s Still the most ferocious winter storm in my memory. 

God that was such a great storm.....it’s numero uno on my list here in west Hartford since we moved east in August 2004.....hasn’t been a better storm since.....for pack late Dec 2010 into early feb 2011 was epic

3 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

83 was basically the exact setup as December 2009 displaced about 60-80 miles further northwest.  Both were more or less non phased shortwaves that amplified due to a favorable upstream ridge and subsequent downstream pattern.  You could argue a subtle southern stream shortwave phased in with the 09 storm but the system probably would have been big even without it.  83 was believed to have had some type of gravity wave which led to the thunder and insane amounts in EPA/N NJ and NYC

Feb 1983 was amazing and dropped close to 2 feet of snow here.  Jan 1996, PD2 and Jan 2016 were the only other storms that did that here since then- that last one being the biggest and delivering over 30 inches here.

8 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

1930s and 1950s really sucked here...and very recently the 2010s. Matches what I've remembered about our climatology. 1970s weren't even great either in NE.  1980s were surprisingly not bad despite horrific seasonal totals. 2000s we're pretty good as remembered and the 1960s were off the charts good. 

the 2010s have sucked?  The snowfall averages in the 2010s have been outlandishly high Will.  During the 80s though all our winters were at or below average in snowfall totals.

11 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

IF he wants to point to a set of events, prob the back to back Feb warm spells of that magnitude in 2017 and 2018 are a better example. The frequency of such type events would increase with CC.

Cutters in December happen all the time...they happen in mid winter too. The only difference CC would produce is maybe you hit 67F in 2018 instead of 65-66F in 1975....but that is a minimal sensible wx difference.

2-3 days of 70F in February is much tougher to achieve...and having it happen twice in two years is more of a "Footprint" of CC than cutters.

Besides the small increase in temp, the bigger deal might be the massive increase in big precip events.  Back in the 80s, 2-3 inch rainfall events were very rare outside of tropical systems, now we seem to get them once a week lol.  You also see that in the big increase in HECS we have been having, all our snowfall records are from the past 20 years or so.