Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

Isotherm

"

The putative "cutter" on the 18z GEFS for the 27th-28th now cannot achieve > 0c 850mb temperatures north of NYC [energy transfer beginning to be detected]. No changes from me - 23rd onward for sufficient cold and possible threats. Models adjusting precisely as anticipated."

•  
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

They had some cold Decembers that kept small snowpack around even though they weren't very prolific...years like 1985, 1980, 1989, etc. In ORH, a lot of those years would have like 2" OTG. 

I seem to remember ‘81-‘82 being good up here. Snow events seemingly 2-3 times per week. 

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I seem to remember ‘81-‘82 being good up here. Snow events seemingly 2-3 times per week. 

'81-'82 was a very good winter. Big December too right into Boston and it lasted into April with the '82 blizzard...but that was one of the few good winters of the decade. '83-'84 was good and so was '86-'87. The rest were pretty pathetic. I guess '87-'88 was decent too but kind of shut down a bit early. 

38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

'81-'82 was a very good winter. Big December too right into Boston and it lasted into April with the '82 blizzard...but that was one of the few good winters of the decade. '83-'84 was good and so was '86-'87. The rest were pretty pathetic. I guess '87-'88 was decent too but kind of shut down a bit early. 

I loved the Jan 15th 83 18 plus,the Feb 83 16 plus blizzard followed up by a 10 inch a week later, 3weeks of winter that was it but pretty neat and memorable 

39 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

That's not going to be an issue given it'll be January. It also splits into three lobes so I don't think the cold air will bunch up in one spot so easily. 

On the EPS, a lobe of this goes into Hudson Bay. That's good for us. Also, I should point out that because of a the air density boundary between the troposphere and stratosphere, I wouldn't count on exact PV placement based on the stratospheric PV location...but it may serve as a proxy I suppose. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Isotherm

"

The putative "cutter" on the 18z GEFS for the 27th-28th now cannot achieve > 0c 850mb temperatures north of NYC [energy transfer beginning to be detected]. No changes from me - 23rd onward for sufficient cold and possible threats. Models adjusting precisely as anticipated."

•  

I wouldn't get so confident on no cutter or warm system..esp NYC on south. While we may see a few threats, a legit wintry look probably won't occur for your area until after the New Year. Of course how one views a wintry pattern may be subjective...but it's rather so-so for NYC for a little while. 

48 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

That's not going to be an issue given it'll be January. It also splits into three lobes so I don't think the cold air will bunch up in one spot so easily. 

Very much doubt it gets split in three, I favor the PV in Europe.  A SSW event is very risky, if it does settle in Europe don't expect much winter weather in the East

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wouldn't get so confident on no cutter or warm system..esp NYC on south. While we may see a few threats, a legit wintry look probably won't occur for your area until after the New Year. Of course how one views a wintry pattern may be subjective...but it's rather so-so for NYC for a little while. 

Just to clarify, in case my statement is misconstrued - I'm not guaranteeing that next week's event will be conducive for NYC, simply elucidating the significance of the flux which has been ongoing w/ respect to the EPO and NAO domain corrections as a function of the forcings noted. I'm more confident that the 27/28 could become an energy transfer w/ resultant favorability for New England, lower probability for NYC but it cannot be ruled out either.

• Like 1

Just now, Isotherm said:

Just to clarify, in case my statement is misconstrued - I'm not guaranteeing that next week's event will be conducive for NYC, simply elucidating the significance of the flux which has been ongoing w/ respect to the EPO and NAO domain corrections as a function of the forcings noted. I'm more confident that the 27/28 could become an energy transfer w/ resultant favorability for New England, lower probability for NYC but it cannot be ruled out either.

Yeah it's possible it could be more CAD for interior NE. I'm still waiting on the standing wave near 135E to slowly shuffle east and get the EPAC into a more formidable shape for us. 

5 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Very much doubt it gets split in three, I favor the PV in Europe.  A SSW event is very risky, if it does settle in Europe don't expect much winter weather in the East

SSWs as a whole make the entire hemisphere hostile to any sort of extraordinarily mild weather.  In general the AO is going negative 98 out of 100 times.  The only way it can really do nothing to help is if you have an awful Pacific which it doesn’t look like we will have based on most of the longer range ensembles 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it's possible it could be more CAD for interior NE. I'm still waiting on the standing wave near 135E to slowly shuffle east and get the EPAC into a more formidable shape for us. 

Yes, the Nino-esque structure will resume fairly expeditiously in my opinion near the end of December with phase 5 GWO resumption, and enhanced walker cell forcing in the CPac. as the MJO signal begins to dampen and propagate through the CPAC at z200 as well. This should ignite a more classic PNA approaching the 30th/31st. It will be "Gradient" / countervailing -NAO until then.

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I’m pretty sure the Feb 83 blizzard was PD1..right?

if so, then January 15, to PD1, and then the one 10 incher that followed a week later, is more like 4-5 weeks of winter not 3 weeks?? No?  

I think PD1 was in ‘79 from my distant memory. It shut down DC, fringed NYC and gave flurries here on the Soouth Coast.

4 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Yes, the Nino-esque structure will resume fairly expeditiously in my opinion near the end of December with phase 5 GWO resumption, and enhanced walker cell forcing in the CPac. as the MJO signal begins to dampen and propagate through the CPAC at z200 as well. This should ignite a more classic PNA approaching the 30th/31st. It will be "Gradient" / countervailing -NAO until then.

Yep. Hopefully we can snag an event or two prior. I could see the 27-28 trend flatter and/or south..but I'm expecting something non-wintry for my area anyways. 

14 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

I think you’re fearing what happened in 2011-12 when the split sent it to Europe.  Don’t forget we had the black hole of death in AK that year.   The Queen of Sheba wasn’t gonna make it wintry.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

79 was PD1.  It mostly missed everyone north of central NJ.  I think JFK had 6 inches and LaGuardia had 1 or 2 

Just now, weathafella said:

1979 for sure.  

Ok then lol...I stand corrected.  Thanks for chiming in.   Then the 83 storm I’m thinking of was another one..which hit SNE hard..and I was always thinking that was PD 1.  

You learn something new everyday!!