Total Members
    Most Online
    WeatherArbordoctor
    Newest Member
    WeatherArbordoctor
Amos83

December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

44 minutes ago, Eric said:

Excellent!  Snow seems to follow you like the Pied Piper.

Man, no lie. I've been hot the past few years. Making up for lost time, I guess. 

Unofficial measurement on glass-top table on the deck in Eden is 12.75". Still light snow and breezy. Report at 1:10P for KSIF was 29°F and 27°F.70212bcda867f2503c5276bb669c5e88.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, knowledgeispwr said:

According to WFMY's Tim Buckley, it's the sleet line: https://twitter.com/TimBuckleyWX/status/1071829495575965696Dt_nPr5XcAAY3H6.jpg

I’m right above the sleet line and there’s a battle going on in my backyard between bigger snowflakes and sleet. Coming down hard. Haven’t measured in a couple hours, but I suspect we eclipsed the foot milestone a little while ago and still climbing. 

5 minutes ago, norcarolinian said:

Just north of the sleet band here. Huge flakes just ripping. Between 13-14” here now 

I just looked at GSO's OBS and it looks like they're over 2.3" liquid equivalent so far.  No wonder this thing is such a monster.  That's an amazing about of moisture.    That includes 0.86" in a single hour from 7-8 AM.  Could that be right or is that an error?  That liquid equivalent seems off the charts for snow in one hour, so it seems a little suspect, but regardless this thing is juiced.

Anyways, looks like another case where N/W always wins in the Triad, LOL.  Seems like you should pick up a few more inches than GSO-proper, most likely (though that was expected).

Measured a whopping 2” on the hood of my car in Fountain Inn this morning. I got to stay up late last night and watch it rip for several hours. Wind driven confetti.  No complaints here although I am a little jealous of the 12”+ reports. That’s good stuff

22 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

Jeez, those are freaking awesome pictures. Just wow. All of the snow pics are great, but wow.

Thank you!

Just got back from Boone, only a couple places are open and they are starting to dig out.  421 has that look with people walking down the middle of the road.  The stick on our deck is 19”, in the open area it’s knee deep.  Saw this guy in Boone...

B0BA0634-B4DD-476C-8BFB-097D8901CDBD.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

I just looked at GSO's OBS and it looks like they're over 2.3" liquid equivalent so far.  No wonder this thing is such a monster.  That's an amazing about of moisture.    That includes 0.86" in a single hour from 7-8 AM.  Could that be right or is that an error?  That liquid equivalent seems off the charts for snow in one hour, so it seems a little suspect, but regardless this thing is juiced.

Anyways, looks like another case where N/W always wins in the Triad, LOL.  Seems like you should pick up a few more inches than GSO-proper, most likely (though that was expected).

Yeah.  Sleet tried to mix in for a few minutes but back to all snow. CC radar shows sleet line shifted back south of I-40 for now. And that “10 miles north” rule is still in effect hahaa

Just now, norcarolinian said:

Yeah.  Sleet tried to mix in for a few minutes but back to all snow. CC radar shows sleet line shifted back south of I-40 for now. And that “10 miles north” rule is still in effect hahaa

I'm just south of I-40 in SW Winston and our sleet seems to be changing back to snow. Big flakes.

• Like 1

14 in with 30 in drifts at my parents in Hickory. Crazy storm..The fam' got worried and we bailed on banner elk yesterday afternoon, after we got an airbnb refund.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

Just got back from Boone, only a couple places are open and they are starting to dig out.  421 has that look with people walking down the middle of the road.  The stick on our deck is 19”, in the open area it’s knee deep.  Saw this guy in Boone...

B0BA0634-B4DD-476C-8BFB-097D8901CDBD.jpeg

Jim Cantore!!!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It’s been raining in east Durham for a while and taking some snow off surfaces (roofs and cars mostly). There’s still plenty piled up, and people are out shoveling.