Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Really...just gave up.

Had the Ambient station online in a few moments.

Just before the park got shut down, we had just finished building something to mount the anemometer on. We had the pole erected and had anchored it with wooden support legs that were screwed into the yurt platform. It was going to be sweet. We bought an ambient station because of the relative ease of operation and setup, and because we had planned to have it set up so it would send text alert to our phones when wind gusts surpassed a certain threshold. We were literally locking down the final screw when the cease and desist verdict was issued...sigh...

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Damn girl. What the hell are you doing in New England? ;)

I think I've read there's higher incidences of thyroid disorders in midwestern US people while asian people have some of the lowest. Many think it has to do with seafood consumption. So if you can find some seafood veggies or meats you can tolerate it may be a good idea to incorporate some in. Of course I'm not a doctor or nutritionist...just throwing out some harmless ideas I've learned over the years.

My daughter, born in PQI, is meh about seafood.  When she went to college in SC, classmates would say, "You're from Maine; you must love seafood."  She'd reply, "No, I'm from Aroostook County; I love potatoes."  Especially mashed, but she hates the fake mashed made from flakes or powdery stuff in boxes.  When she worked at a summer camp one year, she spent an afternoon peeling potatoes for everybody rather than having to face that glop.  (Some friends were nice enough to help.)  She's recently had to significantly alter her diet due to Hashimoto's disease, which affects the thyroid. (And thus alter it for S-I-L and all the kids, so as not to be cooking two separate meals each time.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I never did...Davis is a nightmare for web upload...lethally accurate, but the most user unfriendly device that one could fathom. The console is straight out of the early 80's, too.

I just got a Davis VP2 with a FARS about 6 weeks ago and I agree with you on the console, but accuracy was the deciding factor in my purchasing a personal weather station. The console is dated, but the integrated sensor suite has been very good so far.

Davis charges $295 (the cheapest I can find online is $210 on www.scientificsales.com) for the Weatherlink IP, which is essentially just an ethernet cord that connects your console with the modem to upload the data to the Internet. 

Why the console isn't Wifi enabled and just wirelessly uploads data to the Internet is beyond me, but I think Davis just does it to make more money and increase their profit margin. The price for the Weatherlink IP is out of line, but I will eventually cave and get one so I can share my data.

21 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

It's down in Branford right off 54. Called PeriShip. Not a bad area. It's a nice drive too from West Hartford, but it's brutal from Danbury. Luckily while I've been in school I work remotely and just go in on Friday, but once school is done I'll go in every day. I think in a few years or so I will look to move down that way (though not along the coast b/c t'storm death zone) but was thinking Hamden...nice jackpot for snow and severe

Thank you. 

Congrats Paul, A lot of hard work has paid off.

Wow was it brutal today riding the lifts.

Temps in the upper single digits and low teens with winds gusting over 50mph.

4-5" of new snow last night and this morning from the upslope covered the crust nicely and led to some good turns in the sheltered spots.

The craziest thing though were these wave clouds that would form and propagate across the ridge, building in height and then curling and crashing to the ground just like a wave in the ocean would.

Anyone ever seen this?  I mean it was literally like waves in the ocean moving across Mansfield's ridge. Once they built to a certain height they would curl and crash.  Here's one:

47573835_10103599331996690_1873885052899

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wow was it brutal today riding the lifts.

Temps in the upper single digits and low teens with winds gusting over 50mph.

4-5" of new snow last night and this morning from the upslope covered the crust nicely and led to some good turns in the sheltered spots.

The craziest thing though were these wave clouds that would form and propagate across the ridge, building in height and then curling and crashing to the ground just like a wave in the ocean would.

Anyone ever seen this?  I mean it was literally like waves in the ocean moving across Mansfield's ridge. Once they built to a certain height they would curl and crash.  Here's one:

47573835_10103599331996690_1873885052899

Nice...some kelvin-helmholtz instability clouds. Birmingham AL had some really insane low level ones awhile back. I’m sure you’ll find the pics if you google it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

I just got a Davis VP2 with a FARS about 6 weeks ago and I agree with you on the console, but accuracy was the deciding factor in my purchasing a personal weather station. The console is dated, but the integrated sensor suite has been very good so far.

Davis charges $295 (the cheapest I can find online is $210 on www.scientificsales.com) for the Weatherlink IP, which is essentially just an ethernet cord that connects your console with the modem to upload the data to the Internet. 

Why the console isn't Wifi enabled and just wirelessly uploads data to the Internet is beyond me, but I think Davis just does it to make more money and increase their profit margin. The price for the Weatherlink IP is out of line, but I will eventually cave and get one so I can share my data.

There’s some good 3rd party hardware out there. I’d suggest some of you peruse scaledinstruments. Ryan there is great to deal with.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/wifilogger/

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yep, being raised on the RI shore we caught and fed ourselves on everything ocean. I miss RI seafood so much. Nothing fresher than seafood from ocean to plate in 2 hrs.

Plenty of clambakes to be had up this way, No doubt, When your raised on it, All fish and all shellfish anytime, Anywhere, And if i haven't tried it, I will, And sardines or kippered snacks, Bring it on.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Nice...some kelvin-helmholtz instability clouds. Birmingham AL had some really insane low level ones awhile back. I’m sure you’ll find the pics if you google it.

I am impressed I finally identified a cloud correctly. Pf that's magnificent. Yikes on the cold, it was actually nice until the afternoon here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Ahh nice I feel like I've seen those before from a distance but I didn't know they move so fluidly up close.  I mean it was literally like water sloshing up into a wave and breaking.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I can’t stand the nauseating smell of seafood and majority of it looks unappetizing, especially clams, oysters which look like a loogie. 

Someday I hope to eat my weight in AMarshall’s oysters

Give me oysters and beer

Every single day of the year

And I’ll feel fine...

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

I will eat lobster, but I find the effort into shelling it isn’t worth it when I can have some mahi mahi or calamari or mussels or...

I'm used to shelling lobster up here, Crabs are a lot more work, Quite a few oyster bars down in the oldport as well that i visit, Jays is a good one, And yes on the Calamari tentacles and tubes, With roasted red and Pepperoncini peppers, I have a good recipe for that....

image.jpeg.7b4eacb4514ea8d621fa05acb508b50a.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hazey said:

Speaking of weather stations, anyone have any thoughts on this product? I think it's relatively new.

http://weatherflow.com/smart-home-weather-stations/

I highly recommend Acurites new Atlas weather station. I have had mine for about 2 months now and love it. Its a big update from their popular pro 5 in 1 unit it replaced. The touch color display unit is awesome and can log data on a SD card. The Acurite ap is pretty solid and its simple to hook up to weather underground with rapid fire updates. For only $256 on Amazon you get the station, color display, lighting detector, and wireless hub. Another cool feature is the wireless hub can support a ton of different sensors. You can hook up soil temp probes, temp/humidty sensors, water leak sensors, etc.

61sRcknZjoL._SX679_.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I highly recommend Acurites new Atlas weather station. I have had mine for about 2 months now and love it. Its a big update from their popular pro 5 in 1 unit it replaced. The touch color display unit is awesome and can log data on a SD card. The Acurite ap is pretty solid and its simple to hook up to weather underground with rapid fire updates. For only $256 on Amazon you get the station, color display, lighting detector, and wireless hub. Another cool feature is the wireless hub can support a ton of different sensors. You can hook up soil temp probes, temp/humidty sensors, water leak sensors, etc.

61sRcknZjoL._SX679_.jpg

Have you experienced the false lightening strike issue?  I’m looking to get a weather station and do like this one overall, but have read negative reviews about the lightening strike detector.