Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

17 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Here we go again.

I think 3-6" is possible tonight for the ski resorts.... someone could score 6+ if any lake effect squalls get "stuck" on the Spine, ie it just keeps redeveloping as moisture plows into the mountains. 

Since the switch flipped a month ago in November it has just wanted to snow.  One of those patterns where if you are unsure if it'll happen or not, bet on the snowier side of things.

47571860_2917041128321354_13460463712238

17 hours ago, dendrite said:

I would blow my brains out if I had to clean off my truck 3x/day, 5 days/week.

I would welcome the problem, Looks like what i deal with when staying in NW Maine, Snows daily up in the mtns.

14 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I would welcome the problem, Looks like what i deal with when staying in NW Maine, Snows daily up in the mtns.

What a pita and waste of time in my life that would be. Off and on light snow all day that requires frequent removals that just sublimates or compacts into the snow pack anyway. I'm not completely all or nothing, but I at least want some bang for my cleanup buck and I wanted it concentrated into as little time as possible. To each their own though.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

What a pita and waste of time in my life that would be. Off and on light snow all day that requires frequent removals that just sublimates or compacts into the snow pack anyway. I'm not completely all or nothing, but I at least want some bang for my cleanup buck and I wanted it concentrated into as little time as possible. To each their own though.

So i guess the 30-40:1 downy flakes are not your cup of tea then? It makes for some good lube on the hyfax's on the sled...............:lol:

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I like me some deformation bands with deep pow, but yeah, I'm all set with dink and dunks.

I like the ocnl 1-3 refresher when there’s a nice pack. Back 3 years ago, March wasn’t a month of biggies, but those little advisory deals really brushed up the crust and made it look like January. 

35 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Days and days of snows. Nothing is better than that .Shoveling a couple inches everyday . Just constant winter. Nothing better 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I like the ocnl 1-3 refresher when there’s a nice pack. Back 3 years ago, March wasn’t a month of biggies, but those little advisory deals really brushed up the crust and made it look like January. 

Our snow doesn't turn black as fast as E MA. Refreshers aren't needed so frequently. ;)

48 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's exactly what this week has been.

I mean Dendrite may not like brushing the car off but you can't tell it rained anymore despite the glacial firm pack under the fresh snows this week.  The yard doesn't look like a defunct municipal ice skating rink anymore lol.

1-3" type snows on bare ground does suck but when you already have winter, it adds to the appeal.  December, holiday time, festive, if there's a time for flakes to be flying it's now from an asthetic appeal.  

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I mean Dendrite may not like brushing the car off but you can't tell it rained anymore despite the glacial firm pack under the fresh snows this week.  The yard doesn't look like a defunct municipal ice skating rink anymore lol.

1-3" type snows on bare ground does suck but when you already have winter, it adds to the appeal.  December, holiday time, festive, if there's a time for flakes to be flying it's now from an asthetic appeal.  

Yep. Missing the flakes but feels festive at least. Just don’t look past day 8. :lol: 

4 hours ago, mreaves said:

He is in a good location to catch every uplsope snowfall.  He is also the most diligent measurer that I have ever seen.  He is a fanatic about data collection and quality and measures exactly according to the NWS standards.  He comes as close to anyone can to capturing every single flake that falls. 

The other thing is where his location is, it upslopes in all directions.  East flow synoptic storms?  Check.  Westerly flow upslope? Check.  The only way he "loses" is due to like mid-level banding luck or something.  But being tucked into the valley there at the cut through the Spine, he gets the precip.  

And not only snow, but JSpin has often been in the COCORAHS top tier of annual liquid.  It's not just the fluffy snowfalls, the place gets a lot of precipitation from having no downslope at all in any direction.  Like in November he had almost 9" of liquid I think?  Half of it as snow.  

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Euro says you'll be able to remember the rain here soon.

5 hours ago, scoob40 said:

From what I read in the NNE thread his hood is to snow is like what Secretariat was to horse racing.

LOL. We actually end up pretty similar; he gets more under certain setups, I get more in others. Of course, I believe I'm also 800 feet higher than he is, which makes his numbers even more impressive

21 minutes ago, alex said:

LOL. We actually end up pretty similar; he gets more under certain setups, I get more in others. Of course, I believe I'm also 800 feet higher than he is, which makes his numbers even more impressive

Elevation means nothing, except in the couple elevation events each season. Proximity to the barrier means everything.  I know people in Stowe who live at 1,500ft on the east side of town that get less snowfall than 800-900ft on the western side by Topnotch, etc.  Nebraska Valley in Stowe is a very snowy location but only 700-1000ft...because it's right near a gap in the Spine.  

8 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Might need to reexamine analogs...def not a 95/96...go pick a nino winter from the 90s where we were dressed in tank tops on christmas and drowning in brown mud, and barren ski resorts up through Quebec

Don't try to bring us all down to your snowless level!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

They will point out the rain 8 days away lol, the jelly runs as deep as your snow. 

I mean, its the East.  It's bound to rain at some point.  And I'm not trying to make anyone jealous, just posting and commenting on what could be a once-in-a-lifetime start to a ski season.  In fact, the Mansfield Stake November snow depth record and the incredibly high snow depth days going back to 1955 for this time of year would argue that this is a once-in-a-lifetime past 4 weeks for this calendar date.

Heck when the NNE lower elevations are having 25-40+" starts to the season through December 7th (even BTV was only 4" away from setting their November record of 24" with a 130 year period of record), it's special.  Gene with 30+ in November?!  Borderwx with 40"+ up near Newport in November?!  It's worth keeping this in perspective that it isn't just above average snow... it's top tier stuff.  A bunch of spots (the ski resorts included) are like 1/3rd of the way to their annual averages after the first week of December.

We will pay dearly later in the season I'm sure with some partly sunny days at 0F while the South Coast is enjoying an 18F blizzard.

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I mean, its the East.  It's bound to rain at some point.  And I'm not trying to make anyone jealous, just posting and commenting on what could be a once-in-a-lifetime start to a ski season.  In fact, the Mansfield Stake November snow depth record and the incredibly high snow depth days going back to 1955 for this time of year would argue that this is a once-in-a-lifetime past 4 weeks for this calendar date.

Heck when the NNE lower elevations are having 25-40+" starts to the season through December 7th (even BTV was only 4" away from setting their November record of 24" with a 130 year period of record), it's special.  Gene with 30+ in November?!  Borderwx with 40"+ up near Newport in November?!  It's worth keeping this in perspective that it isn't just above average snow... it's top tier stuff.  A bunch of spots (the ski resorts included) are like 1/3rd of the way to their annual averages after the first week of December.

We will pay dearly later in the season I'm sure with some partly sunny days at 0F while the South Coast is enjoying an 18F blizzard.

Dont worry its just the AEMATT crew