Newest Member
    joxey
March Mid/Long Range Disco 3

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LP08 said:

Yeah not as quick as the GFS with the Northern Vort.  Some semblence of a southern vort so theres that.

Never mind I got it mixed up with the disturbace to the west. Needed to animate the GFS to see that.  Euro looks fine at 96hrs with that aspect.   It's too far west with the plans disturbance though. We need that to drop southeast, not west.

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

No matter the outcome, Euro took a step toward the GFS @96

It's close enough for 96 hours. The premise is the same. GFS is notably faster with the trailing vort and more consolidated but for 4 day leads they are both onto the same general idea. 

Just now, Amped said:

Never mind I got it mixed up with the disturbace to the west. Needed to animate the GFS to see that.  Euro looks fine at 96hrs with that aspect.   It's too far west with the plans disturbance though. We need that to drop southeast, not west.

It was a good step though.  It didn't squash the southern one so its a step in the right direction. Speed up that NS vort and we are in the game.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

More info about 12z UKIE SLP:

96 -- 991mb SLP in N AL

102 -- 989mb SLP in extreme NW GA

108 -- 988mb SLP in C NC

114 -- 984mb SLP just west of Tidewater VA

120 -- 981mb SLP over Tidewater VA

126 -- 980mb SLP ESE of ACY by 50-100 miles or so

That would make a good reading at a wedding. Instead of the typical Hallmark-card dreck. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro is still less consolidated and more progressive but very close to more phasing. The primary difference between the euro/gfs is the speed of the trailing shortwave. Well within margin of error and not needing some wholesale shift to make it work. 

the gfs has an open trailing SW...the euro and ICON closed. Is that making a difference in speed?

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Euro took a huge step.  Flow is less suppressive in front.  Stronger southern wave.  Still misses the phase and its south of the GFS but it came like 75% of the way there this run from the last few.  

Oh yeah it’s close. CMC and euro have sort of been in lock step it seems, but euro is even a bit closer to a GFS like solution here. Instead of a string out mess (basically two lows with each one generated by the shortwaves in each flow), euro mostly consolidates things into one low but isn’t quite there. But it’s a nice step.

Euro has a ton of convection in the GOM at 84 which IMO causes some issues w transport of moisture into the system as it crosses the TN Valley.  Once it is gone, it becomes healthier.  I wonder what would happen if that convection was not there or less intense.  Also, I wonder if the Euro is dragging its heals a bit?

1 minute ago, Ji said:

the gfs has an open trailing SW...the euro and ICON closed. Is that making a difference in speed?

It's still pretty weak so I don't think closed versus open is the difference. Just a timing thing. Euro is so close to the GFS type of solution that I don't think we need to start worry much about anything unless we start to see the GFS string things out a little. This one has all the pieces necessary for a good event here. It's not a thread the needle/longshot. 

4 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Response on the surface. It's getting there

was just going to comment on that.  Shows precip getting up to almost Fredericksburg this run compared to the border of NC/VA.  Definitely a nice step with the stronger southern piece.

Edit:  You can also see the speed of the trailing vort on those maps and how close it really got. 

If you toggle the vort panels you can see the euro sped up the trailing shortwave by about 150-200 miles from 0z. One more shift like that and fireworks go off. We're in good shape. I said this yesterday, I feel really good about this one I can't say I've felt this way about ANY previous event this year. 

This shows what I'm talking about pretty well. Check out the plains shortwave from the 0z run:

OcIjeyA.jpg

Compare to the 12z run today:

MPlP18i.jpg

The departing low is further north as well so that can only help with the storm gaining latitude. I'm pretty happy with the run even without seeing pretty snow maps. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If you toggle the vort panels you can see the euro sped up the trailing shortwave by about 150-200 miles from 0z. One more shift like that and fireworks go off. We're in good shape. I said this yesterday, I feel really good about this one I can't say I've felt this way about ANY previous event this year. 

Even the GFS sped it up from the last few runs.

Just now, Amped said:

Even the GFS sped it up from the last few runs.

Yea, this one is trending well across all guidance. That trend probably isn't done yet. We can probably completely rule out an overhead or west track rain storm at this point. The important stuff isn't really happening until d4 still so the lead offers plenty of time for adjustments. 12z eps is an important run. If there is an uptick of phased/amplified solutions then it probably getting close to game on here. 

Archived