• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The 12z NAM lined up with some of the westward leaning EPS members.

That westward track is certainly possible, it would fit the seasonal trends. 

If the Nam track verifies, then so be it. It's already the 2nd week of March, I'm not gonna lose sleep over this.  

However I'd be concerned about additional damage from wind & snow for inland areas and for more coastal flooding with that tucked in track after the events of Friday.

1 minute ago, mikem81 said:

Whatever winder washer effect we have with the models today, can anyone explain what would force the LP more west versus east towards the BM?

It closed off faster at 500 mb and got captured sooner this run. Does it happen closer to ACY or roll out a little further east first?

By the SREF Plumes, NYC gets 5" Snow, 0.90" liquid.

0Z Runs:

On the GFS Cobb Method NYC gets 0"Snow and an inch or rain.

But the NAM Cobb Method has Rain becoming Snow in earnest by 3PM Wed., and accumulating 20"!!!, in 14 hrs.  (1.5" liquid)  This would be hard to believe in Jan.   Expect a big downward revision shortly.

NAM is probably too amped but it’s in the envelope of possibilities. If there’s early phasing, the flow will amplify and the low will hug the coast. Some ensemble members in the Euro and GFS had an outcome not far from that. I’d jump on the Euro for it’s consistency but it’s had more busts over the last year or two. The NAM being this far west and the others being a good bit east makes me think it’s overdone though. Even 50 miles east of that NAM run would be really nice for most. 

10 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Icon is a beauty. A little more tucked than 6z, pretty similar to its 0z run really.  

Seems underdeveloped on the NW side. You would think with a track like that Eastern PA should be getting hammered. It looks very similar to the 12z NAM FWIW in terms of track.

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_19.png

Out of curiosity.. I've had trouble finding any literature about this within meteorological journals (perhaps I am looking for the incorrect term), but how do wavelengths effect teleconnections? Is there anyone that can provide some literature or perhaps an explanation of this phenomena? I've been researching quite a bit and still cannot find the info. Thank you in advance. Likewise, I am piggy backing off my comment a few days ago with regards to this storm, hence why I am posting in this thread. If this is the wrong thread, apologies and please relocate it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just now, USCG RS said:

Out of curiosity.. I've had trouble finding any literature about this within meteorological journals (perhaps I am looking for the incorrect term), but how do wavelengths effect teleconnections? Is there anyone that can provide some literature or perhaps an explanation of this phenomena? I've been researching quite a bit and still cannot find the info. Thank you in advance. Likewise, I am piggy backing off my comment a few days ago with regards to this storm, hence why I am posting in this thread. If this is the wrong thread, apologies and please relocate it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

@ORH_wxman might be able to help, i think hes discussed this in the past.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived