• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

Good morning -- hate to ask this in the forum, but I do rely on AWX for my most accurate weather details

I'm driving up from Virginia (DC area) on Thursday morning (about 5am departure)....will I be able to make it to Brooklyn in one piece?  Snow Removal is something that you do a lot better than down here, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to get up there without a hitch.

Thanks

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Yea man I feel bad for ya and all the others without power still... I am extremely shocked on how long it’s taking for areas to get the power back... from what I heard 90% will be back by Tuesday night which is a cause of concern because a lot of people will not have the available resources to keep them in the loop for Wednesday storm. 

That 90% thing is just so they can say "oh sorry, you're one of the 10% that we haven't gotten to yet" :(

13 minutes ago, dWave said:

I concerned for more tree damage with a heavy wet snow. 

Bite your tongue ;)

11 minutes ago, sn0w said:

What do the winds look like with this one?

I just got power back for the first time since Friday afternoon and now we are getting 10+ more inches of wet snow :blink:

Yep, I went out to grab dinner last night and noticed that downtown and by the lake was powered up. I'm on my way over to your house in a little while for a hot shower. Cool? :)

4 minutes ago, kgriffin56 said:

I'm driving up from Virginia (DC area) on Thursday morning (about 5am departure)....will I be able to make it to Brooklyn in one piece?  Snow Removal is something that you do a lot better than down here, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to get up there without a hitch.

Assuming you'll be taking I95 up, you should hit the Metro area about rush hour (although I suspect traffic will be lighter than normal). Since the heaviest snow should fall during Wednesday afternoon and early evening the plows SHOULD have enough time to make the roads driveable. Take it slow and careful.

15 minutes ago, kgriffin56 said:

Good morning -- hate to ask this in the forum, but I do rely on AWX for my most accurate weather details

Thanks

I'd risk it maybe if I had a four wheel drive with SNOW tires.  Even at that, one can't go around stranded cars on a highway (if the snow gets that bad).

4 minutes ago, tempestatis014 said:

Looks like the NAM is being really aggressive with the snow totals again. Around a foot for much of NJ. Although the GFS says less than 2 inches

That’s wrong .  Dude look at the models , the GFS has 4-8 inches for many areas in northern NJ

11 minutes ago, tempestatis014 said:

Looks like the NAM is being really aggressive with the snow totals again. Around a foot for much of NJ. Although the GFS says less than 2 inches

I'm assuming you live at the Jersey shore although I am not sure exactly where. All you need to know is that this isn't your storm.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Almost all of the individual members were West of the OP. A few Eastern outliers skewed the mean Eastward.

The mean is still an extremely good track for NYC...looks to run just under Cape Cod and SE of Long Island. Should see heavy snow from the Hudson River eastward with that track.

I still think the final track will be inside what the 0z ECM showed, given that the EPS had many west-leaning members. You have to count the number of members that lean west versus east because I'm sure there are a few members that are WAY east that are canceling out the majority leaning to the west of the operational track. That's why the ensemble mean is near the OP, but the reality is most of the individual ensembles are west of the OP.

1 minute ago, nzucker said:

The mean is still an extremely good track for NYC...looks to run just under Cape Cod and SE of Long Island. Should see heavy snow from the Hudson River eastward with that track.

I still think the final track will be inside what the 0z ECM showed, given that the EPS had many west-leaning members. You have to count the number of members that lean west versus east because I'm sure there are a few members that are WAY east that are canceling out the majority leaning to the west of the operational track. That's why the ensemble mean is near the OP, but the reality is most of the individual ensembles are west of the OP.

How is the mean useful when it's being skewed East by a few outliers?

I strongly believe this tracks inside the benchmark, and I expected to see a bit of a windshield washer effect. 

10 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Almost all of the individual members were West of the OP. A few Eastern outliers skewed the mean Eastward.

I think the problem with the Euro is more that it isn’t throwing precip far enough back behind the low than it is the track itself.  That’s likely why even with the west leaning members the mean was still similar on QPF 

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

I think the problem with the Euro is more that it isn’t throwing precip far enough back behind the low than it is the track itself.  That’s likely why even with the west leaning members the mean was still similar on QPF 

Surprisingly the GFS seems to have a better handle with this. Even the NAVGEM throws a ton of precip back on the NW side. Look how much falls between 00z and 06z.

navgem_mslp_pcpn_neus_12.png

Just now, Ericjcrash said:

Rates may be saving grace here.

1 minute ago, Ericjcrash said:

Rates may be saving grace here.

sav

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Tucked in, right where we want it.

5a9d54b617178.png

5a9d54cc9390b.png

look at the precip type - yes where some might want it if you live inland

• Rjay unpinned this topic