• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extraordinary model consensus for 42-48 hours prior to an event starting.  Might not remain like that, but in theory, model uncertainty decreases to zero as the event approaches, so there should be less shifts likely now than a day ago.  Of course, "big" shifts happen with regard to impact (50 miles is a big impact shift, but not a huge modeling change) in the last 12-24 hours more than we'd like, however.  

1 minute ago, RU848789 said:

Extraordinary model consensus for 42-48 hours prior to an event starting.  Might not remain like that, but in theory, modell uncertainty decreases to zero as the event approaches, so there should be less shifts likely now than a day ago.  Of course, "big" shifts happen with regard to impact (50 miles is a big impact shift, but not a huge modeling change) in the last 12-24 hours more than we'd like, however.  

Is this really the case? The models don't even get fed the same initial conditions so it can't be a given that they all fall into perfect agreement at verification time... even in theory.

4 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

JB is calling for 3-6 inches for the coast with more inland. He then said that the coast isn't out of the woods for more.

I agree with his call for 3-6 inches.

That’s what I’d go with as well. Still too close for comfort for mixing and dryslot. We want the fade NE to happen quickly off NJ. Last March’s didn’t start until the low went over Central Suffolk, which was obviously way too late to keep it snow in the city and east. 

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

That’s what I’d go with as well. Still too close for comfort for mixing and dryslot. We want the fade NE to happen quickly off NJ. Last March’s didn’t start until the low went over Central Suffolk, which was obviously way too late to keep it snow in the city and east. 

The thing is the impacts in the city and the SS could not have been more then night and day. I had 10” on the UWS of which about 4” was sleet. The temp never went above 32. So it was like trying to move concrete and highly impactful. So only a 30 mile difference is huge regarding where the coastal front sets up. This appears to be further east

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The thing is the impacts in the city and the SS could not have been more then night and day. I had 10” on the UWS of which about 4” was sleet. The temp never went above 32. So it was like trying to move concrete and highly impactful. So only a 30 mile difference is huge regarding where the coastal front sets up. This appears to be further east

Taking the NAM 40 miles east would be a great outcome for almost everyone. But the overall setup allows for a system to become amped like that. Eventually the blocking and closing off aloft allows a track NE but where that happens is key. Odds are the NAM is overdone but it’s a real possibility. Some GEFS were also amped like that. It’ll be interesting to see the EPS members soon. If many of them are NAM like, it may be onto something. 

5 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

IMO no, these rates coupled with a less scorching ground should make it easier, but we have to see it play out.

Thanks for the response. Felt robbed last storm. 7 hours of light to moderate snow. Only a trace accumulated lol

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

Thanks for the response. Felt robbed last storm. 7 hours of light to moderate snow. Only a trace accumulated lol

Yeah I feel like Charlie Brown and Lucy, especially in March storms. We're two days out yet, lots to change. Hoping this one works out better. Went a little quiet here the last few mins maybe we're between important runs...

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived