• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

A turn into SE NJ wouldnt normally be bad because the metro would initially get rocked.  Then dry slot or rain then go back to heavy snow but the system undergoes somewhat of a semi occlusion on a bunch of the tucked guidance and the backside precip basically dies as the low pulls out across areas east of LI.  I’m not sure that’s believable or not  

I was just thinking this last night.  A lot of models seem to decay the low that sits along the coastline, because the most favorable baroclinic area is off to the east north east. Moreover, as the great lakes storm is absorbed into our coastal storm, its also being pulled east by the West Atlantic low pressure that affected the area last Thursday. 

If I were sitting across the Hudson in North New Jersey (including Bergen) or around Orangeburg NY/Yonkers, I would be extremely excited about the model runs today.  There's a decent chance this is could be a MECS for you guys.

Just now, David-LI said:

Will have to disagree with you on this one, not a HECS as forecasted, even on the NAM. 

I hope you realize that when people refer to a storm, they aren't just talking about one specific area, but a KU, which covers all Northeast storms, including those that only hit DC or only hit Boston.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

I hope you realize that when people refer to a storm, they aren't just talking about one specific area, but a KU, which covers all Northeast storms, including those that only hit DC or only hit Boston.

I do realize that and I still believe this wouldn't be considered a HECS as forecasted. There's no criteria that defines it but imo a HECS is a 1993 and 1996 type of storms.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Still not historic by any stretch. And at this point I’ll cut NAM totals in half. Still too early for any MECS or HECS talk, especially basing it off current model runs if one stays out of full weenie mode. See what the runs late tonight show. 

2 minutes ago, David-LI said:

I do realize that and I still believe this wouldn't be considered a HECS as forecasted. There's no criteria that defines it but imo a HECS is a 1993 and 1996 type of storms.

Fair enough, those terms are thrown around too much, but it's hard to keep track when we seemingly have 1-2 KU's per year instead of 1 every three years if we were lucky.

1 minute ago, strgazr27 said:

Still not historic by any stretch. And at this point I’ll cut NAM totals in half. Still too early for any MECS or HECS talk, especially basing it off current model runs if one stays out of full weenie mode. See what the runs late tonight show. 

The rule of cutting NAM totals in half doesn't apply to all situations. It's a common mistake that is over played.

The mid level lows will decide where the dry slot goes. If the 700mb low goes south or east of you, you likely won't be in the dryslot, but besides that in storms like this there will always be heavier and lighter banding. 

So for now, root for that low to go east of you, and the surface low turn NE as it approaches south Jersey. 

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Fair enough, those terms are thrown around too much, but it's hard to keep track when we seemingly have 1-2 KU's per year instead of 1 every three years if we were lucky.

2 minutes ago, strgazr27 said:

We are discussing based on the 18z NAM which shows at least a MECS, not an overall forescast. 

Interesting tidbit, from an old post but this still applies.

Levi Cowan @TropicalTidbits
FollowFollow @TropicalTidbits
More

I've added a new snowfall product for the 3km NAM utilizing a rime-based snow/liquid ratio correction from Brad Ferrier. This greatly reduces bogus "snow" accumulations due to sleet, thus most relevant in warm regimes. SLR capped at 10:1. Comparison example from today's 18Z run:

Look what happens:

nam3km_asnow_ferrier_neus_61.png

I’ll take the 75-80% rate the NAM overdose totals and continue to cut them almost in half. Last week was a perfect example. Tack and intensity were pretty good. Utbyotals WAY off. I’ll stand by my call of cutting them in half. 

2 minutes ago, David-LI said:

For NYC and LI this would be a quick dump from around 10am to 6pm based on 18z NAM. Clear skies wednesday evening. 12+ still.

If the 500mb low closes off, decent snow will wrap around to the west and it won't just be all front end. It'll linger around as the low moves away. Don't just look at the surface panels-the upper air is more important. 

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The mid level lows will decide where the dry slot goes. If the 700mb low goes south or east of you, you likely won't be in the dryslot, but besides that in storms like this there will always be heavier and lighter banding. 

So for now, root for that low to go east of you, and the surface low turn NE as it approaches south Jersey. 

Screenshot_20180305-160500.png

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived